Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: I Love LA

Rowbee

As I mentioned a while back, and received some great replies, I recently went to visit a friend in LA. I just thought I'd share a few photos with you guys because I had such a great time.

Although I didn't really do too much sight seeing whilst there, it was a very relaxing holiday, and being British, I found the weather a very pleasant change.

I feel I now know Santa Monica pretty well and have nothing but good things to say about everyone I came into contact with. It was so refreshing to experience such laid back folk with really positive attitudes.

I met some great musicians whilst there and jammed with some awesome drummers along with an incredibly famous person I'm not allowed to name.

The best news is that I HAVE to go back again in May because I've been asked to be my friend's best man!

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h268/Rowbee/PICT0075.jpg

Me finding that I have exactly the same sized hands as James Brown outside the Guitar Center in Hollywood.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h268/Rowbee/PICT0081.jpg

Gaz's rehearsal studio - That British Place

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h268/Rowbee/PICT0108.jpg

I became obsessed with watching the sunset on Santa Monica pier.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h268/Rowbee/PICT0139.jpg

Malibu beach - that sunset was awesome too!

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h268/Rowbee/PICT0162.jpg

Me at Griffith Observatory - I'm talking downtown!! Thanks Jeremy for insisting I go there!! :)

Now theres three of you in a band, youre like a proper band. Youre like the policemen.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Glad you enjoyed yourself.

I feel LA is the quintessential "nice place to visit but...".

I'd describe it as Queens with palm trees. :D

(apologies to LA....or Queens...depending on your POV.)

Push the button Frank.

Oh, I could certainly live there Ken but I know what you're saying.

It seems Santa Monica is a little short on bass players, if any of you guys are looking at moving! There are bands playing originals trying to "make it" who are willing to pay hired guns to rehearse and gig.

I'm surprised there aren't more guitarists making the change to bass(!)

If only I was free and single. :)

Now theres three of you in a band, youre like a proper band. Youre like the policemen.

I run to the park daily from my house. It's 2 minutes away. I friggin love L.A. too. I'm from Jersey (nyc border) and love the city, but it's too cold. Went to college in Florida where it is too humid and developmentally 10 years back. Now, In L.A. with a rehearsal spot on Hollywood Blvd and some funky band members. Meeting my gorgeous wife couldn't hurt either.

Lemz, I loved the climate there, especially on the coast with the sea breeze. I was stopping at my good friend's apartment in Woodland Hills which is in the valley, not far from Topenga canyon which felt like it was twice as hot!

Phil, I got about because Gaz very kindly drove me around everywhere when he wasn't trying to run his business. I agree that you can't go anywhere without a car and it's crazy that you get traffic jams at 9pm!

Whenever I think of LA, there are two words that will always be close to my heart - LA SALSA!!! If I could marry fast food I would gladly walk up the isle with the Three Pepper Fajita Burrito.

Also, after watching Curb Your Enthusiasm I found it highly amusing to see just how many Toyota Prius there were on the roads - It really must be LA's most popular car.

Sorry to bang on about this but it's my first trip to the US and I'm still really stoked about it! Also, to be asked to be a best man is an honour I'm still getting my head around.

I just wanted to also say that I met a great bunch of guys who were in a band called Baby Lemonade who were Arthur Lee's band when he did the Forever Changes tour before he sadly passed on. To hear them play Alone Again Or was pretty special. They've also had a very successful career of their own, touring the UK several times and were due to play here in my home-town of Coventry this month but it was cancelled. :(

Btw, I very nearly bought a Fender Geddy Lee off Craigslist but I missed the boat on that one. However, I did get three sets of DR Black Beauties, a Tascam MP3 Bass Trainer and two pairs of rare in the UK Converse, so it's not the end of the world. :)

Archived