Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Best Anti-War and Protest Songs

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[ JIMI:] "HAPPY NEW YEAR FIRST OF ALL. I HOPE WE'LL HAVE A MILLION OR TWO MILLION MORE OF THEM... IF WE CAN GET OVER THIS SUMMER, HE HE HE. RIGHT I'D LIKE TO DEDICATE THIS ONE TO THE DRAGGIN' SCENE THAT'S GOIN' ON ALL THE SOLDIERS THAT ARE FIGHTIN' IN CHICAGO, MILWAUKEE AND NEW YORK... OH YEAS, AND ALL THE SOLDIERS FIGHTIN' IN VIETNAM. LIKE TO DO A THING CALLED 'MACHINE GUN'." MACHINE GUN TEARING MY BODY ALL APART MACHINE GUN TEARING MY BODY ALL APART EVIL MAN MAKE ME KILL YA EVIL MAN MAKE YOU KILL ME EVIL MAN MAKE ME KILL YOU EVEN THOUGH WE'RE ONLY FAMILIES APART WELL I PICK UP MY AXE AND FIGHT LIKE A FARMER (YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN) HEY AND YOUR BULLETS KEEP KNOCKING ME DOWN HEY I PICK UP MY AXE AND FIGHT LIKE A FARMER NOW YEAH BUT YOU STILL BLAST ME DOWN TO THE GROUND THE SAME WAY YOU SHOOT ME DOWN BABY YOU'LL BE GOING JUST THE SAME THREE TIMES THE PAIN AND YOUR OWN SELF TO BLAME HEY MACHINE GUN OOOOOOOOOO I AIN'T AFRAID OF YOUR MESS NO MORE, BABE I AIN'T AFRAID NO MORE AFTER A WHILE YOUR YOUR CHEAP TALK DON'T EVERN CAUSE ME PAIN SO LET YOUR BULLETS FLY LIKE RAIN 'CAUSE I KNOW ALL THE TIME YOU'RE WRONG BABY AND YOU'LL BE GOIN' JUST THE SAME YEAH MACHINE GUN TEARING MY FAMILY APART YEAH YEAH ALRIGHT TEARING MY FAMILY APART DON'T YOU SHOOT HIM DOWN HE'S ABOUT TO LEAVE HERE DON'T YOU SHOOT HIM DOWN HE'S GOT TO STAY HERE HE AIN'T GOING NOWHERE HE'S BEEN SHOT DOWN TO THE GROUND OH WHERE HE CAN'T SURVIVE NO NO YEAH THAT'S WHAT WE DON'T WANNA HEAR ANY MORE, ALRIGHT NO BULLETS AT LEAST HERE, HUH HUH NO GUNS, NO BOMBS HUH HUH NO NOTHIN', JUST LET'S ALL LIVE AND LIVE YOU KNOW INSTEAD OF KILLIN'" ------------- draw your own conclusions, folks!

A WOP BOP A LU BOP, A LOP BAM BOOM!

"There is nothing I regret so much as my good behavior. What demon possessed me that I behaved so well?" -Henry David Thoreau

Buncha damn hippies in here... Honestly, though...I don't know where the idea of Jimi Hendrix supporting Vietnam came from. Read his words, he's not a hawk. I think he feels for the soldiers, having been in those shoes briefly - but "Evil man make me kill you...Evil man make you kill me..." doesn't strike me as a ringing endorsement of military actions.

The best of these songs (certainly, the most useful) would be those that could reach anybody, regardless of their conscious political affiliation- not those "mostly saying, Hooray for our side". No point in preaching to the choir, but it's a popular undertaking nonetheless.

"There is nothing I regret so much as my good behavior. What demon possessed me that I behaved so well?" -Henry David Thoreau

From [i]Electric Gypsy[/i] , page 387-388: "What Jimi seems to have objected to is the horror of war in general as symbolising man's inhumanity to man and also the way conscription imposes limitations on personal freedom." Not against war, but the horrors that troops face. And on page 408, discussing Machine Gun: "But mention of Vietnam as an afterthought was perhaps a further indication that his onomatopoeic evocations of death and destruction were primarily directed at civil unrest in America." Again, not against war. I would like to see quotes from books (internet is unreliable)) that make an opposite claim, if anyone has any.
You, too, can support the mushrooms in their relentless struggle against the awful broccoli!

[quote] Frank Zappa said: [b] "CNN ran this story last week about this new product that has been developed for our prison system. It is called 'confinement loaf.' Now what it is, it's a 'bean by-products', compressed into a loaf, which is administered to PROBLEM PRISONERS. Their diet will be a slice of 'confinement loaf' and a cup of water - and it seems to mellow them out right away. So my question is: 'How long before 'confinement loaf' appears in United States high schools?'" [Begin song...] [/b][/quote] [url=http://www.davemcnally.com/lyrics/FrankZappa/broadwaythehardway/]Broadway the Hard Way[/url]

Political Science by Randy Newman Drop the big one now(3 x's) They all hate us anyhow So drop the big one now Give Peace a Chance by John Lennon BTW, there are tons of Bush Parody and Protest Songs out there. One old song that really seems to fit the times is called "Pride of Man" by Quicksilver Messenger Service. -------------- Save the World Save America Jail Bush Now! You'll be glad you did

[b]Earache My Eye [/b] My momma talkin' to me tryin' to tell me how to live But I don't listen to her 'cause my head is like a sieve My daddy, he disowned me 'cause I wear my sister's clothes He caught me in the bathroom with a pair of pantyhose My basketball coach, he done kicked me off the team For wearin' high-heel sneakers and actin' like a queen ------ lead guitar ------ The world's comin' to an end, I don't even care As long as I can have a limo and my orange hair And it don't bother me if people think I'm "funny" 'Cause I'm a big rock star and I'm makin' lots of money money, money, money, money, money, money Ahhh! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha... I'm so bloody rich! Ha ha ha ha I own apartment buildings and shopping centers! Ha ha ha ha And I only know three chords! Ha ha ha ha Cheech & Chong

posted 08-15-2003 10:27 PM                        ------------------------------------------------------------------------ From Electric Gypsy , page 387-388: "What Jimi seems to have objected to is the horror of war in general as symbolising man's inhumanity to man and also the way conscription imposes limitations on personal freedom." Not against war, but the horrors that troops face. And on page 408, discussing Machine Gun: "But mention of Vietnam as an afterthought was perhaps a further indication that his onomatopoeic evocations of death and destruction were primarily directed at civil unrest in America." Again, not against war. I would like to see quotes from books (internet is unreliable)) that make an opposite claim, if anyone has any. ------------------------------- #1 rule of scholarship: fuck secondary sources. Ignore them, and focus on the original text, and see what you can do about shedding whatever preconceptions you might have about it. So when you read a classic novel, skip the intro someone else wrote telling you what to think about it. Jimi's words speak for themselves. His guitar is pretty damn eloquent too.

[quote]Originally posted by kylen: [b]Uriah Heap did an acoustic anti war song back in th '70's called 'The Park' or something like that I'll have to pull out and listen to now that you mention it... kylen[/b][/quote]Indeed, it was called "The Park" - from [i]Salisbury[/i] circa 1970. Another song on that album was a bit more overt - it was called "Simon the Bullet Freak" Not my favorite Heep album, but certainly one that got me interested in the band. Those vocal harmonies in "The Park" were just incredible.

Jimi's version of the "Star Spangled Banner" is pretty much an "anti-war" version... Then there's "Ohio" by CSNY... not exactly anti-war, but "about" the anti-war movement and resulting deaths... CERTAINLY a "protest" song. guitplayer

I'm still "guitplayer"!

Check out my music if you like...

http://www.michaelsaulnier.com

[quote] Jimi's version of the "Star Spangled Banner" is pretty much an "anti-war" version... [/quote]I use Hendrix' Star Spangled banner sort of as a kind of proud Rememberance Song - every Fourth of July I give it a play for the neighborhood. Remembering that way back when there was a time when we had to prove to ourselves and the world that we could stand tall as a nation (or get stomped), to do that in those times you had to fight. Hendrix gives us 'the rockets red glare' and the stuff of American legend. He also walks us thru WWII and the sacrifice of the English and Europeans thru the buzz bombs and blitzkreig. Of course he also gives us a taste of Vietnam and the sacrifice anyone over there made with the nastiest display of firepower any civilian may have ever heard. All provided thru the interpretation and magic of the man with the strat... Finally he walks us thru the ultimate sacrifice - for Americans it's Arlington Cemetary and other official resting places in Europe. He plays taps out of respect for the loss of soldiers and, by association, civilian life. In the ulitmate understatement Hendrix lets all that sink in for you to think about, saying nothing. As the final notes of '..the land of the free..." fade away he unleashes the most psychotic nightmare pop music had known up to that point making a shocking reversal to his earlier "beautiful" anthem (his word describing SSB on Dick Cavet) and shoving the mirror directly in our faces so we could contemplate the reverse. Purple Haze... I think in the end he wanted us to think about it all - patriotism, honor, sacrifice, remembrence, and the sheer horror. Anyway, that's what I hear and see and think of when I watch and listen to the Woodstock footage - that's my intrepetation of SSB/Purple Haze. Also, he repeated this same thing at several concerts at the time. kylen PS While I'm in here - Powderfinger that was mentioned is another good remebrence song for me. When it comes down to your final one-on-one and you each have your sights locked - and you see the flash...the Tom Hanks movie Private Ryan covered this for a split second - that's all it takes. The other guy fired first...as all your hopes and dreams tumble into history.

Now, y'all TALK like you're edumacated, so you tell me... HOW can one be against the horrors troops face, and NOT against war? Just WHAT the fuck d'ya think WAR IS?? :freak: Add "Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall" to the list, unless I missed it somewhere... Whitefang
I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

Great questions whitefang, here's a couple more disguised in the form of soundbites... In the case of WAR... Is it better to give or receive ? Is the cure worse than the disease ? Will mankind ever develop a better cure ? Is what we have worth dying for ? Can we 'Imagine' No Possessions, and No Religion Too ? ... or will Michael Rennee just show up with his robot one day and put in an interstellar bypass ? We all will have to answer to somebody for all of this someday cause Everybody serves somebody - I think Bob Dylan said that. Someday (after a lot more work) all of this will turn out all right - I said that ! kylen

Archived