Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Strat Performance Consistancy?

Shoes

I've been working on a pile of cover stuff from Gov"t Mule and John Hiatt over the past year and come to a startling realization.. My Strat (in conjunction with my rig) is astonishingly adaptable to a range of style and sound I'd have never thought possible.

I always work on mimicking the original sound as closely as possible and within an arrangement that requires the very least reconfiguration.. (bending to twiddle knobs sucks and I'm completely un-programmable)

It's a 73 with a 74 middle pickup and Schallers, stock whammy unblocked, was ash, went black and back to clear ash with a beautifully tough coat of Flecto Varathane!

Looks the shits, plays like butter and never ever goes out of tune even when the kids or dog play it! I'll maybe fine tune it every few months at worst and it gets played constantly with my bending the life out of it.

I'm beginning to think it's got a mind of its' own and just plays me for the fun of it.

I've never played another one like it in my life.

Anyone else have something going with their Strat like this?

I still think guitars are like shoes, but louder.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Without question the toughness of the strat and the tele are high on the list for why they're my favorites.

I remember my SG slipping from my sweaty fingers as I tried to lay it against my amp. It fell, maybe 6 inches onto the amp, and the headstock snapped right off... I had it glued back together after a week of projectile vomiting at the thought of the loss... I don't think I even went to school that week!

I have had strats and straty bolt ons (jacksons), in the rain, falling off tour buses, driven through bass drum heads, thrown across stage and missed... Scratches and dents? Sure... But one tough POS!

Dropping my Strat during a flawed an stupid move of showmanship prompted me to put Straplocks on most of 'em. Fortunately, the axe was fine - carpeted stage. Only the 175, the acoustics, and a couple with GI-normous strap buttons are unlocked now. A string tree for a bass works well as an alternative, as long as ya don't mind the strap being semi-permanently attached.

As for tone, I've always said a good Strat covers more ground than any other axe, fom Jimi to BB to Angus, it'll sound fine. Sure it won't deliver HB tones, but it'll cut through the mix and not disappoint, along with its benchmark ergonomics and playability.

Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

I just put the Straplocks on this past weekend so they're all covered now. It had huge-ass buttons on there but the leather strap was worn enough that it'd still pop off if I sat down.

Very little money for a sense of security.

Interesting how nobody tossed a rock for the Flecto Varathane finish! (not my choice by the way)

I've never played another one like it in my life.

Anyone else have something going with their Strat like this?

Well, my '56. It's mostly retired now, but I took it out of the case after it sat in the closet for over a year recently. Absolutely in tune & ready to play. We go back a long way, 40 years together now.

Scott Fraser

Scott Fraser

Strats are like Gortexed trail-running cross-trainers, only Strattier. ;):thu:

Funny, I've been playing my LPs for a long time now, and had a dream just the other night about bustin' my old Warmoth/Chandler/EMG/Kahler/Scaller/etc. H-S-S "Super Strat"-stylee outta mothballs and playin', playin', playin' it on and on in the dream...

Yeah, a good Strat-stylee is a wonderful and versatile thing to have 'n' to hold.

What amp 'n' all are you Strattin' it through there, Shoes?

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

don't tell me, you were naked in the dream?

No, only in my sleep. (In the dream, I was wearing a full/life-sized Red/Brown Gargantua suit. Never the Green.)

That was me in the corner, with the giant ham in my lap and the Indian head dress!

Hmmmnn, then maybe you can tell me why you had that Indian head dress on the ham? And why would an Indian wear a dress on his or her head?

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

THIS POST IS NO GOOD WITHOUT PICTURES!!!

%5Bimg%5Dhttp%3A//img.photobucket.com/albums/v258/pek63/74Strat2.jpg[/img]

...old picture.. pre-locks and you can't see the beauty, luster and impregnability of the varathane either.

For what it's worth... it doesn't contribute to the thread in any significant way... and DON'T RAISE YOUR VOICE.

It's $%#&in" impolite. ;)

as you were...

Archived