Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Playing a song differently as time passes

Ross Brown

I have learned a lot of songs over the past several years. When I learned them I used the recordings and learned them by ear mostly. I tried to play what I heard and certainly added some of my own flair.

I am finding that as I go back and listen to some of these songs for the first time in a while, I dont play some of them anything like they are recorded. I used to.

I was wondering then, should I go back and relearn them? Nah.. I think they have morphed because I have made them my own. I play essentially in a trio (vocalist just sings) so maybe I have learned to fill in a little differently than if I had a large band with many guitars, etc. I cant tell you if they are better or worse than the original, just different.

It is an interesting observation that I will pay some more attention to. My question: how much have the songs you play changed with time? Are they better now? Are they better than the original? Just wonder what others have experienced

"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I noticed this listening to the radio the other day. They played a couple tunes we have been covering for years. The songs have morphed considerably to something not like the original, and I think that's fine. Actually, I kinda like the way we do them better.

When I hear the original of a cover tune that I have been playing for years, I often go back to the original version and then find out it doesn't seem to fit with the other people I play with as well as the variation I have come up.

But sometimes I hear things that I missed the first time and get them into the part.

My experience has been like Jeremy's. How I play has changed, but it fits what is going on better, because we don't play along to recordings, but live people
"Political language... is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind"- George Orwell

I happen to love it when artists dont just cover songs but make it thier own. Take Cake's War Pigs for a great example. Sometimes, songs I wrote change over time. But me and my band have agreed that if we do cover songs, we would make them our own (provided we learn how to play how it was originally of course)

I tend to go back to the originals after a few years, listen again and try to re-introduce a flavour of the original if it's changed massively. Of course, it has to fit with what everyone else is doing.

Occasionally I end up playing a tune regularly having played the bassline from memory even at first and never having actively listened to the original to work it out. I did Come Together and Get Back like this, the first time I played them was on stage. It was instructive to go back to listen to Paul . . .but nothing was hugely different to what I remembered.

I think the main thing, which has been said, is what everyone else in the group is playing. I also like to play different versions of a song that was covered by another band while the rest of the band plays the original. Phew, what a mouthful.

An example would be when the band plays Helter Skelter (granted I couldn't tell you what the Beatles version even sounds like), I play the Aerosmith version.

How do you sign a computer screen?

Most of the covers we do have some variation whether on purpose because we are a 3-piece band or just forgetting bits and pieces over the years. The problem is, If I go back and relearn the song it throws off the other guys who are used to doing it a certain way. Or just re-listening to it sometimes throws me off from playing it the way we do it. Relearning songs I suppose should be a group thing or it's a potential Train Wreck City.

Lydian mode? The only mode I know has the words "pie ala" in front of it.

http://www.myspace.com/theeldoradosband

I agree that some of the changes I introduced fit what the band is doing.

I also know that I have altered the approach right from the begining. Some of the changes were a conscious decision; some happened without me realizing it. With songs that I'm not playing in the band, I sometimes learn something when I re-listen, but often I like my take better - it's what I "hear" for the part.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

I agree that some of the changes I introduced fit what the band is doing.

Tom

Ah....but what came first: the chicken or the egg? Did you change to fit the band, or did the band change to fit you?

So much to learn, grasshopper....

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

I played a whole bunch of them differently last night.... It was almost funny... Guitarist was off too... crowd seemed to think it was ok.... but they were drinking.... Just one of those nights...
"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

I played a whole bunch of them differently last night.... It was almost funny... Guitarist was off too... crowd seemed to think it was ok.... but they were drinking.... Just one of those nights...

Ah, or band motto - "The drunker you get, the better we sound!" :D

Lydian mode? The only mode I know has the words "pie ala" in front of it.

http://www.myspace.com/theeldoradosband

You said it yourself Ross. They morph because you make them your own.

I found that if it's a very pronounced bass part it becomes necessary to stay true to that part. We play Rush and Primus once in awhile and I would like to make some of it "my own" because it's so labor intensive but, that's a sort of signature lick situation.

Elvish Costello - Pump It Up, Love Shack, etc.

"He is to music what Stevie Wonder is to photography." getz76

I have nothing nice to say so . . .

Archived