Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Passed over on a soundtrack deal...I can't catch a fucking break man!!

Its only a "B" movie but it was an "in" for my solo elctronic stuff -and I'm out. A friend of mine turned me on to the deal and it would have been a good opportunity to start a resume but, no. I won't mention the name of this flick but its a horror sci-fi piece and the trailer used instead of mine [b]literally[/b] sounds like someone ate and shit out a copy of the soundtrack to Halloween. Same piano melody- with a little more modern recording and some low bass. Its really revolting!! What gets me is that the original demo sent in was listened to, totally loved and then lost. This was followed by the producer/screen writer who is connected to my friend calling and literally begging for another demo and saying how much he really dug the stuff that was sent. So, at this point I'm really feeling good about this but my friend tells me that this producer is one of 3 on the team and has to ok it through these other producers. So I think....ok...uhoh...well I shouldn't worry too much. But alas, the fucking cards can't fall my way and I'm voted out. I'm really bummed. The thing is, I'm trying to get decent gigs for my band right now and I'm having to jump through hoops and over these cock-blocker club-owner ass-clown booking people and thats brutal enough. I just can't seem to catch a break. I have a lot of friends who believe in me but I can't seem to get beyond this.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I did the original music for a short student film once. I don't know if this will help you or not, but there is plenty of work available if you want it. Obviously you won't likely get paid, but it's like you said; a resume builder. And you never know... Business works on recomendation. Impress the right people, and who knows what could happen?

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

quoted by Chest [quote] Same piano melody- with a little more modern recording and some low bass. Its really revolting!! [/quote]Just this afternoon I was talking about movie soundtracks with a friend of mine.He was telling me about this movie (he couldn't remember the name).It had Jonny Depp in it,he reckoned the sound track by Neil Young mainly consisted of him farting round making wierd noises with his E string!He liked it as well.Now I think he was exagerating,but you know it gives us all hope..
I once had a quasi-religious experience..then I realised I'd turned up the volume.

[quote] Do what I did; Stop caring. It's worked wonders for me! Ever since I stopped caring, NOTHING has happened. But on a positive note, I don't care! [/quote]Right on. I like your style.

Be a professional musician.

Or just sound like one!

Produce music with THOUSANDS of loops and effects.

don't know if you'd thought of this Chest but if they were gonna pay you you could offer them the cut for free and they might still use it and then you'd still get credit, anyway peace don't let it get you down because literaly nothing stays the same, by the very nature of existence you are on your way up.

Persistence pays off and attitude is everything. If you fail it's because you let yourself fail. Exposure goes a long way, farther than the dollar in your pocket. I learned some time ago that I have to work to survive but play because I need to. If the 2 coincide even better. Keep the faith man.

[quote]Originally posted by Mark V: [b]quoted by Chest [quote] Same piano melody- with a little more modern recording and some low bass. Its really revolting!! [/quote]Just this afternoon I was talking about movie soundtracks with a friend of mine.He was telling me about this movie (he couldn't remember the name).It had Jonny Depp in it,he reckoned the sound track by Neil Young mainly consisted of him farting round making wierd noises with his E string!He liked it as well.Now I think he was exagerating,but you know it gives us all hope..[/b][/quote]That was the soundtrack for Dead Man, the Jim Jarmusch film. You really haver to see it to believe how appropriate and effective Neil Young's soundtrack, and I'm not even a huge Young fan by any means. Jarmusch knew exactly what he wanted out of the soundtrack.
Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

I like the soundtrack to Dead Man. Thanks for the positive responses folks. I think the parts that really got me wre the near plageristic nature of what was excepted and the fact that they begged for a second copy of my demo. By Nawledge [quote] anyway peace don't let it get you down because literaly nothing stays the same, by the very nature of existence you are on your way up. [/quote]Damn nice words man. I hope you are right.

[quote]Originally posted by Super 8: [b]I did the original music for a short student film once. I don't know if this will help you or not, but there is plenty of work available if you want it. Obviously you won't likely get paid, but it's like you said; a resume builder. And you never know... Business works on recomendation. Impress the right people, and who knows what could happen?[/b][/quote]I laughed reading your post, Super8... In early 1992 I worked at GC in Chicago, and used my salesman's accomodation to purchase an EMU Proteus MPS and Proteus 2 rack. Not long after the purchase, a friend, who's father owned Zenith dB, a post house, showed me a student film one of his childhood buddies was working on at college. They'd brought it to Zenith for loop groups, Foley, recording of original music, and mixing. Someone else involved with the picture was going to play guitar... as the sole soundtrack instrument. :eek: As you might expect, the soundtrack was [i]thin[/i]. (And this supposed to be a scary thriller.) They asked me to compose some music for it. I ended up creating mood music for the attacks, a theme for the frightened wife, as well as news flash intro music and a "We'll return to the late movie..." musical blurb. For one day's notice, on a keyboard I was largely unfamiliar with, it was pretty good. Oh... I forgot to mention... I'm [i]not a keyboard player, either![/i] :D It was for no pay, but it gave me a much better understanding of how to choreograph music to visual. Definitely a good experience, though I didn't pursue other work of this type.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

[quote]Originally posted by RayMan: [b]Persistence pays off and attitude is everything. If you fail it's because you let yourself fail. Exposure goes a long way, farther than the dollar in your pocket. I learned some time ago that I have to work to survive but play because I need to. If the 2 coincide even better. Keep the faith man.[/b][/quote]Now that is really good advice! And Doug, you took my Mandy.com advice. I can't add anything new to what these previous posts say. Keep doing what you are doing. It'll happen sooner than you think. Chris Groegler

Sound Designer,

Red Storm Entertainment

Don't let it get you down Chest. I just got turned down for a job mixing some sound for a children's multimedia CD. It would have been a great boost for the old resume. Just keep plugging away man.

RobT

Famous Musical Quotes: "I would rather play Chiquita Banana and have my swimming pool than play Bach and starve" - Xavier Cugat

Check college bulletin boards - people there are always looking for people to score student films. CraigsList.org is another good place to find filmmakers. Check out the postings in New York and LA: even if you don't live there, you can still score the film. [i]Edited: I misspelled CraigsList. Oops.[/i]

Wow, that's a bummer. But keep at it. Keep persistent. You would not believe how many times I've been promised something fantastic. I've had larger labels tell me they'll sign me and then keep doing nothing, a label I was on tell me that I was going to have my music played by the symphony orchestra in Prague (and even had me talk to a few arrangers), promises of soundtrack stuff only to have the person get fired without warning and have another person brought in by the new person in charge, and a whole bunch of other things. It's really discouraging, but after a whole string of these things, you have to realize that that's just the way it goes and take everything with ten grains of salt until you get the contract - and then after that, continue to take everything with a grain of salt since apparently people have no problem breaking contracts, too. It all highlights the original joy that music brought me - hanging out with a bunch of friends and making really cool music. That's what I do now, and we've had some small successes (a few small independent movie soundtracks, good gigs, music on "Felicity" and MTV, etc.). But all this stemmed out of having fun, letting it show, and sending out stuff to music supervisors and other people but ultimately not giving a crap either way what happens. And you know, we'd get calls back from people a year later. We would have forgotten that we had even sent it to them, and they'd say, "Hey, your music is what we're looking for..."

Archived