Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Another live church tune: Sing To The King

Gruuve

Hey y'all...been a while, anyone miss me? :wave:

Here's another church tune for your enjoyment, recorded during one of the services a couple weeks ago. I like our arrangement of this tune, although our performances weren't the tightest we've ever done (If I recall, we were having a few in-ear monitor issues that weekend...we weren't hearing each other well). There's nothing impressive about the bass line, pretty straightforward...but at least it's high enough in the mix you can actually hear it this time! :deadhorse: (Although considering the performance wasn't that tight, that might not be a good thing. :blush:)

Btw, the little bit of auto-wah at the end is the Ibanez synth pedal...not bad at all for such an inexpensive pedal.

http://www.ipass.net/davesisk/music/church/LP%20Band%20-%20Sing%20to%20the%20King.mp3

I love playing with this drummer...we seem to read each other's minds, end up doing fills together, etc.

Cheers,

Dave

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We do that song too (just haven't in awhile). I like the rhythm you are playing during the verse a lot better than what I do there. I do some sort of octave-sliding mess...

Your guitar player plays tastier stuff at the beginning than ours does too.

The mix... well, I figure it's like the recorded mix at our church... it changes weekly, and it can usually be better...

I don't know when we played it last, or I'd post a link (they're archived quite awhile back).

A stiffy somewhere in the city sewer system...

I also figured you'd been other-occupied.

Sounds pretty cool. That's the burpy-jazz sound in the first part of what you played (before you switched to slap). My neighbor Rob and I were just talking about that tone when his wife asked what a "burpy" tone was, and I couldn't think of good example).

I saw an advertisement for some "most loved" Christian CDs (or something like that). I remember thinking that you folks who play in church probably know all those tunes, whereas I'd heard almost none of them. Somehow the stuff played at Mass never crosses with other Christian music...

Anyway, that was pretty cool. Does the congregation sing along?

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Disappointing... I thought it was a song about Elvis.

Me too.

What wound up coming out was like an audio-only horror movie.

Flattery will get you guys nowhere. ;)

Dave

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Tom...the burpy thumps at the beginning were thumb-plucked. (We did this song this Sun as well, same band and set but different location, and I held the harmonic at the 12th fret and slapped it rather than thumb-plucking...it just seemed more in character with the rest of the song that way.)

And yes, there's a few songs where the congregation sings along, and this is definitely one of the typical faves.

Dave

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Hi Dave! :wave: It's much more fun when a congregaton sings along. My church is pretty good about singing along most of the time. It's mutch better than them staring back all stoic and blank.

"Political language... is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind"- George Orwell

It really is amazing how you've combined a total disregard for time and inappropriate use of slapping in one song. Well done.

Is this just one more part in the quest for that walrus mating tone that you're after?

It really is amazing how you've combined a total disregard for time and inappropriate use of slapping in one song. Well done.

Is this just one more part in the quest for that walrus mating tone that you're after?

Thanks Brian...it's almost as creative as your blog.

Cheers,

Dave

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Hey Steve...actually, I didn't use the auto-wah at all last Sun on this song...sounds better without it. But flange IS a good thought, however.

Dave

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

I generally avoid replying to threads of "how do you like my playing" or "how do you like my song."

The song is pretty simple and would seem to call for a simple bass part that would not draw attention to itself. And as far as being tight with the drummer, it's a song in straight eighth notes with no syncopation or accents so being tight with the drummer should be a given.

I guess Dave's version was ok, the congregation could still sing along and no one would really be listening to him anyway, so everything is as it should be.

Great comments, JC...but just to be clear, this isn't my arrangement. ;) The music pastor created this arrangement...he actually asked me to play the bass line that way, so I'll direct your comments to him. The congregation likes it...they get up and groove to it. So, there ya go...different strokes for different folks. :cool:

Dave

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Ha, I had not read your blog in a while, Brian. The May 7, 2008 - 4:48pm entry is brilliant.

And dead on.

Brian, when are you going to set up a RSS feed for your blog?

As soon as I stop being lazy. The world does need it. I'm a harbinger of truth in an otherwise hippie and PC world.

Is this just one more part in the quest for that walrus mating tone that you're after? [/quote

"It takes an awfully good drummer to be better than no drummer at all." Steve Millhouse

Archived