Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yamaha CP33 w/ Roland SonicCell - MIDI Questions...

ozrufus

Hi all!

I have the above referenced equipment that I'm trying to get to work together. This would be a dream team for me as I am partial to Yamaha's DPs and Roland's synth sounds. I have a P-250 that I'm using strictly as the amp right now as I sort things out.

Being a MIDI novice, I'm getting a little frustrated. The CP33 has two sliders that can be used in Master Mode to control two zones. I want zone 1 to be the CP33's main piano while zone 2 is the SonicCell (basically a dual patch with the CP33 piano). Then I can just change the sound on the SonicCell while always having my piano sound ready. With the two zone sliders, I hope to be able to independently adjust the volume of each.

I've my equipment connected and can play the SonicCell via the CP33, but I can't get them on separate zones. As it stands now, both sounds are active on zone 1 and zone 2 does nothing. I've scoured both manuals and can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. All the settings I've checked seem right, but as I said I'm a novice with more in depth applications (that's why I sold my Fantom X7). I'm just a plug 'n play type of guy!

Any suggestions or ideas? Presuming I can get things working this way, how's the best way to arrange/recall patches on the SonicCell while keeping the CP33 piano in place? Is running through the P-250 causing my problems?

Be specific - I can be slow sometimes! Thanks for your patience...

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Unless the CP33 can transmit midi data independently on two separate zones, both zones on the CP33 are only applicable for the piano itself and NOT the module. If that is the case, then the best you will be able to do is set-up the Sonic Cell to only play particular key ranges(i.e. C4 to C8 or C1 to C3, etc.)

Yamaha (Motif XS7, Motif 6, TX81Z), Korg (R3, Triton-R), Roland (XP-30, D-50, Juno 6, P-330). Novation A Station, Arturia Analog Experience Factory 32

The question begs: have you read the manuals for the two products? Have you spoken with the retailer you bought them from to get assistance (half the reason retailers are valuable is post-sales support)?

Read p.26 of the CP33 manual to read exactly how to set up the device to do what you want.

Read p.25 of the CP33 manual to understand why the Zone 2 slider isn't doing what you want (because you're not in the right mode on the Yamaha).

Reading manuals: a dead art form. :(

Being a MIDI novice...

I've scoured both manuals and can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. All the settings I've checked seem right, but as I said I'm a novice...

Reading posts fully. A dead art form... :rolleyes:

This is usually a very friendly, helpful place. I read this forum every day and have for a long time before registering. I'm just seeking some insight or tips from those among us that are more experienced. I'm not an illiterate sloth. Sorry if my lack of knowledge or experience offends you. Seriously.

A little more about me, I've played keys since the early 90s (ROMplers), majored in music/piano in college, but never really embraced the intricacies of synthesis or workstations. I just like to play, and mostly piano at that. Just trying to stretch out a little and make use of my SonicCell.

Scoured is perhaps a bit of an overstatement, considering it's pretty clearly described in the CP33 manual. However, it's clear that you're looking for spoon-feeding, when all I have is a fork and a knife, so... I'll defer to others to walk you through this. :wave:

Edited to add: if I wasn't being 'friendly', I wouldn't have bothered downloading the damn manual and citing the appropriate pages. You're welcome. :rolleyes:

Thanks for taking the time to download the manual to check. I guess I would have taken your first post as friendly if you hadn't insulted me at the end of it.

I've been reading both manuals and have had both Master Mode on and off (both engage the SC), but in Master Mode I can't kill the piano using the Zone 2 slider. Zone 1 fades the SC in and out as expected, but the CP piano is ever-present. I can get the piano by itself, by fading the SC out via the Zone 1 slider. The only way I can kill the piano is via the volume wheel. Is it intended to be this way, or am I still missing something or have a setting wrong? I expected to be able to fade the SC via Zone 1 and the CP piano via Zone 2.

Again, not looking to be spoon-fed. Just asking advice. Why all the angst?

Archived