Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NBA 2008-2009 Thread

Dave Bryce

For your viewing pleasure. Somethings are just beautiful in their nature. :thu:

Click Right Here

There's something you don't see every day. Nice move by CB. :cool:

Even as a Lakers fan, I've got to give Billups props for that.

Best,

Geoff

While it was at Kobe's expense, he can afford this being the great player he is. (it hurts me to write the words great player about a faker) While I dislike the fakers with a passion, I have the utmost respect for Kobe Byrant as a player. During the past Olympics, he was the first player to arrive and the last player to leave all the practices. In a recent interview with Jerry Colangelo, he credited Kobe with showing Lebron and Carmelo what kind of worth ethic it takes to be the best. Colangelo said those two players benefitted greatly from their olympic experience playing with Kobe and seeing his work ethic. Jerry believes both players were already great but the experience and eudcational aspect made them even better and feels you are seeing the benefits of that in the playoffs. He especially talked about Carmelo doing the little things when he doesn't have the ball to make himself a better player.

Begin the day with a friendly voice A companion, unobtrusive

- Rush

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great first half. Both teams left a lot of points on the floor - Lakers with their abysmal FT shooting, Denver falling in love with the jump shot instead of attacking the rim when the Lakers were in the penalty with 6:00 to go in the 2nd quarter.

Be interesting to see which team makes the correct adjustments coming out of halftime.

I'm going to enjoy that clock stopping this season almost as much as I did last season... :D

It did. For the celtics. 2 games ago.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_42w5-R0zz2g/ShFyTgIRSCI/AAAAAAAAHE8/oAi-gwbG0l8/s1600/2009%2BBoston%2BCeltics%2BGone%2BFishin%27.jpg

I'm going to enjoy that clock stopping this season almost as much as I did last season... :D

It did. For the celtics. 2 games ago.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_42w5-R0zz2g/ShFyTgIRSCI/AAAAAAAAHE8/oAi-gwbG0l8/s1600/2009%2BBoston%2BCeltics%2BGone%2BFishin%27.jpg

Sweetie, you keep talking about the Celtics while the rest of us talk about the Lakers and the Nuggets, K? ;)

I was only able to spot check the game yesterday. It seemed like the Lakers would catch up only to fall behind again. Then, I walked into the room; and there was Kobe, hunched over, being interviewed. Yes, LA must have won!

It was great to see that the Lakers had won by 6 -- that's a blowout by the conference finals standards set so far! :D

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Then, I walked into the room; and there was Kobe, hunched over, being interviewed. Yes, LA must have won!

It was great to see that the Lakers had won by 6 -- that's a blowout by the conference finals standards set so far! :D

Yes, biggest "blowout" so far!

Kobe was hunched over because he was exhausted from the game and the altitude and the various little injuries...but he played great. Another steal by Ariza late in the game too. Believe it or not, the Lakers actually played good defense on Carmelo in the 2nd half.

Sweetie, you keep talking about the Celtics while the rest of us talk about the Lakers and the Nuggets, K? ;)

:D

While it was at Kobe's expense, he can afford this being the great player he is. (it hurts me to write the words great player about a faker) While I dislike the fakers with a passion, I have the utmost respect for Kobe Byrant as a player. During the past Olympics, he was the first player to arrive and the last player to leave all the practices. In a recent interview with Jerry Colangelo, he credited Kobe with showing Lebron and Carmelo what kind of worth ethic it takes to be the best. Colangelo said those two players benefitted greatly from their olympic experience playing with Kobe and seeing his work ethic. Jerry believes both players were already great but the experience and eudcational aspect made them even better and feels you are seeing the benefits of that in the playoffs. He especially talked about Carmelo doing the little things when he doesn't have the ball to make himself a better player.

I had heard the same thing while watching the Olympics and in a couple of articles as well. Kobe's not always my favorite person personality-wise, but I do greatly admire his work ethic and believe he is easily one of the greatest players of all time. The guy works out like a fiend in the off-season, always working on what he feels are weaknesses in his game. As Fakers fans watch games season after season, we start viewing his amazing array of difficult shots as commonplace when it is anything but.

I had a feeling Orlando could win at home, and they did, going up 2-1 in the series. And were it not for that last-second miracle shot by James, the Cavs would be down 0-3!!!!!!

I thought you were still talking about the Celtics, Steady.... :confused:

Anyway, Steve, I agree, there was some terrible officiating, and it sure seemed like it was an effort to keep the Cavs close, or at least give King James his points...

The more I watch the Magic, the more I think they had an honest-to-god epiphany after game 5 in Boston, and all that talent is finally starting to pay some dividends for Van Gundy...

I'll say this much: Athletically speaking, Orlando matches up better with the Lakers and the Nuggets better than Cleveland does.

I've been really enjoying watching "Superman" play, as this is the first time I've really seen him outside of the Slam Dunk contests.

Maybe because I really started paying attention to the NBA during the Hakeem Olajuwon era, I enjoying watching a great, true center play the game. Are there other all-star caliber centers currently playing besides Yao, Shaq, and possibly Howard?

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I've been really enjoying watching "Superman" play, as this is the first time I've really seen him outside of the Slam Dunk contests.

Maybe because I really started paying attention to the NBA during the Hakeem Olajuwon era, I enjoying watching a great, true center play the game. Are there other all-star caliber centers currently playing besides Yao, Shaq, and possibly Howard?

Not really. We have a definite shortage of 7'+ guys out there right now.

You need only look at this year's All-Star game for evidence: Dwight Howard had no backup in that game...

That's a shame. I guess that's why I've been enjoying watching Howard lately.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Well, they CALL Duncan a 4 but for all intents and purposes, he's a center.

Gasol is as skilled in the post as anyone going--not physically dominant player, though.

The athletic, defensive center (e.g., Tyson Chandler) is in vogue right now, but there really is a shortage of "true centers." Oden was/is supposed to be the next great one. I haven't seen it yet, but he is very young.

One of the reason is the heavy footed big man is a thing of the past. Dirk Nowitski, Amare Stoudemire--these guys are the NEW 7 footers. Garnett was the innovator there.

Howard, IMO, has a very long way to go before he is a great center. He is already a major impact player by virtue of his rebounding and shot blocking and the points he scored almost as an unintended byproduct of his physical dominance.

There have been a number of centers who dominated without refined low post games. David Robinson comes to mind. Of course, the Admiral ran like a gazelle, handled the ball the like a PG, and had a great jump shot. Howard doesn't necessarily need Hakeem-like footwork but what he definitely needs to round out his offensive game is an 8 to 10' jump shot.

As for up and coming centers, one guy to watch is Brook Lopez.

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

Hmm, I'd rather see the Nuggets even it up tonight, 'cause if the don't, this series won't go six.

And I want two 7-game classics.

PS. I get mighty nervous when I see how "in on" the fanciful LeBron vs. Kobe thing the networks, the league, and the sponsors are.

The league should be a little smarter and a little more poker faced--after Donaghy's bust (and subsequent allegations) this particular league is under a little but of an onus to show that it never manipulates playoff matchups. Vitamin Water is simply dying for a Lakers-Cavs matchup. As of right now, at least, the Cavs have not been the better team in that series. This is worth watching closely. The difference between LA-Clev and Den-Orl is millions and millions and millions.

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

Archived