Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

A touchy subject for sure

Written by one who should know, I suppose. [url=http://www.city-journal.org/html/13_3_how_hip_hop.html]How Hip-Hop Holds Blacks Back - John McWhorter[/url]

"I had to have something, and it wasn't there. I couldn't go down the street and buy it, so I built it."

Les Paul

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Who's John McWhorter? Someone shed a light here... ;) Interesting article... I'll refrain from comments - I don't want to be the one opening pandora´s box here.. :eek: ;)

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

Sad, but I have to agree with a lot of what the writer wrote. The music is really hynotic in it's influence on the black community. I'm still praying for the gangsta style music to just go away and for more positive songs to replace them. Kcbass

"Let It Be!"

[quote]Originally posted by Kcbass: [b]Sad, but I have to agree with a lot of what the writer wrote. The music is really hynotic in it's influence on the black community. I'm still praying for the gangsta style music to just go away and for more positive songs to replace them. Kcbass[/b][/quote]Me-2

Jesus Is Coming, Make Music, Get Ready!

Originally posted by Kcbass: [quote] The music is really hynotic in it's influence on the black community. [/quote]What about the suburban, suv driving, future yuppie, frat-boy, punk? The hypnotic influence doesn't work on them? It must be their high brain function. Thank you for speaking out to save the Black community. Originally posted by TinderArts: [quote] McWhorter can often be seen on FoxNews. [/quote]Well, that does wonders for his credibility.

I feel sorry for him, he thinks 50cent speaks for all black people, he writes for white people who believe that one black person speaks for all black people, he thinks hiphop came from the sugarhill gang, he thinks that the civil rights movement was a success and that institutionalized racism no longer exist, he equates gangsta rap with political hiphop music, :D that tells me he knows little of what he's talking about. I'm suprised he even went to that kfc maybe he was just looking for material. I do think he has a right to express his opinion, infact I think it's very important that himself and people like him do so, better that they be out in the open where they can be seen and known for what they are instead of being out of the public eye crafting legislation.

[quote]Originally posted by tnb: [b]Originally posted by TinderArts: [quote] McWhorter can often be seen on FoxNews. [/quote]Well, that does wonders for his credibility.[/b][/quote]I think he was only replying to my question ... no point reading between the lines of his post. I`ve been out of the states for about 2 years and his name didn`t ring a bell, that`s why I asked.

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

I'm not concerned about the supposed influence the music has on people. I'm more concerned about the motivation for the person who wrote the song. 'The Message' is a powerful song. I think it was written to express the feelings the author had about the ghetto. Most of what I have heard since 'The Chronic' has been way too much posturing. They say, in their defense, that they are just telling about what it's like in their world, but I question how true to life their dipiction is. I think the lure of ultra-super-stardom has it's effect on the motives of the Rap artists. It's like Chuck D. said when he spoke at my old college: 'When the Rapper is done shooting the video, the girls go home, the Rolex comes off, and the car goes back to the dealership'... In other words, the whole thing is a put-on. The motives aren't pure. So the music isn't real. I guess that's the price of success for a genre. Once it becomes popular, it ceases to be genuine. Rap isn't urban ghetto music anymore. It's suburban white-boy music now.

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

[quote]Originally posted by tnb: [b]Originally posted by Kcbass: [quote] The music is really hynotic in it's influence on the black community. [/quote]What about the suburban, suv driving, future yuppie, frat-boy, punk? The hypnotic influence doesn't work on them? It must be their high brain function. Thank you for speaking out to save the Black community. Originally posted by TinderArts: [quote] McWhorter can often be seen on FoxNews. [/quote]Well, that does wonders for his credibility.[/b][/quote]Sorry, the article was concerning Blacks. I did not notice a reference to the influences elsewhere, which I'm sure there are. A little ditty. I repair electronics for a living, more specifically, CD and DVD players. When the units come in with a stuck disc, I used to be able to tell you, in general, who the owner of that stereo is, but not anymore. Kcbass

"Let It Be!"

I agree with you on that super 8, about the purpose of the song 'the message', I think it belonged to the author and we just listened to it but as far as the posturing goes, I don't think it it would really matter if record execs and radio stations would play other types of music with rapping in it, like hiphop for instance and I think it's a real shame because gangsa rap and pimp music is a minority in all of the music out there with rap vocals but you wouldn't know it listening to the airwaves. I think the powers that be should stop promoting that bullsh*t or at least be fair so that people know there are many more emcees doing many other types of songs. I would never advocate taking away someones right to say whatever they want but I wish the airwaves were made to have balance. and then all of the advertisements on the radio are of beeper stores, alchahol, rims and car accessories, clothing, and jewerly, I wonder if thats a coincidence. maybe thats all they want people who listen to rap stations to think about. ;)

Latinos are going down the shitter because they're living "La Vida Loco." White people are sexually depraved because "they did it all for the nookie." David Bowie caused the last shuttle disaster. Black Sabbath turned me into a Satan-worshipping bat-eating freak. I [i]am[/i] tearing down the wall. If it keeps on raining, the levee is going to break.

----------------------------

Phil Mann

http://www.wideblacksky.com

Thanks for posting, Nawledge. I didn't have the time to pick that bullshit apart. Regardless if the guy has a minor point here or there, is he really in a position to say these things. His interpretation of The Message(probably my favorite Hip-Hop song of all time)let's me know the guy doesn't know what the fuck he's talking about. Thanks N-Dawg, Lincoln Ross Dead Black Jedis

"All conditioned things are impermanent. Work out your own salvation with diligence."

The Buddha's Last Words

R.I.P. RobT

Archived