Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

namm passes

Interesting development this year... a dirth of NAMM badges. In the past, my mailbox was flooded with NAMM badge offers. I have not gotten them this year, and I thought that this was just a result of my not participating for the last couple of years... you don't show up, people forget who you are.

But as it turns out, I've seen similar messages on other boards, wherein others who usually get similar offerings have not gotten them. Curious.

It does not matter to me, as I'm not going. But I have recieved a few requests myself and had hoped to be able to share these passes with other interested parties who would liek to go.

Anybody else see the same thing happening? or something different?

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know that (at least for the left coast NAMM) manufacturers have been restricted in the number of free badges...more cost $$$.

They're also checking ID at various times...especially on Sunday.

A Jazz/Chord Melody Master-my former instructor www.robertconti.com

(FKA GuitarPlayerSoCal)

A little guitar shop in town was gonna score me some this last winter for $25 per. They had always gotten 4 free and just about as many as they wanted at $25 each. Now they're down to 2 or 4 free and no ability to buy additional.

Mikegug

www.facebook.com/theresistancemusic

You should check Artisan Guitars, Tracy. At least you're local to them. ;)

I rarely get over to the Factory, however I did stop by at Artisan the last time I was there. I had much gear envy an dno $$$$! :(

Mudcat's music on Soundclick

"Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em."-The Webb Wilder Credo-

They've been checking ID's for a decade. ;)

Oh. :freak:

Come to think of it, the 1997 Anaheim NAMM was the last one I attended (and I actually had a legit badge in my own name at that time). Sheesh, that was way back in the 1900's. We've had guitarists on here who weren't even born then. That bloze. :o

Just a pinch between the geek and chum

I don't think that i have ever had my id checked at NAMM, except when I was pickuing up my badge. Once that badge was visible, no body ever bothered me.

But this year, passes seem to be hard to come by.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

I'll be happy to try being ____, guest of Wendler Guitars.... ;)

I'm not kidding...

I've been the owner of a long time Chicago area MI retailer once (I should point out I was 11 years old when my parents bought my brother's Peavey T-60 and Pacer amp from his original location. :D ) , I was a published member of these forums before these forums existed and the last time I attended I was a friend who was given a legit pass but couldn't use it at the last minute. That must've been around 1999 or 2000 and I deliberately left my wallet in my car parked 5 blocks away. The lady at the gate took pity on me because it was one of those blistering hot, humid summer days in Nashville and it was Sunday.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Having never been to NAMM before, why is everything so strict about the passes? I mean, a pass is a pass, and it would seem to me that an unused pass is worse for the show than sharing it with someone who can attend. Is it not better to have a good attendance at these things? Maybe I am missing something, I don't know!

BTW, you all know me as "Mike" from now on (that's the name on my pass!) :D

Reverbnation stuff

More Reverbnation stuff

I feel happy! I feel happy!

Well Mike...

NAMM is an association of Music Merchants. They have never been interested in showing these new wares directly to consumers. It's supposed to be the place where manufacturers, sales reps and retailers make the big deals for the year. Yes, manufacturers try to showcase the latest, greatest gear but that's really just the window promotion for the nuts and bolts business of selling all their products.

At one time NAMM actually had a day open to the public. The result? Increase in stolen merchandise and very little positive effect on show, plus, that day business people were mostly tied up speaking to Joe Q. Public rather than making money. It's all about the money, baby!

They would rather consumers get to see this stuff when it hits the streets and keep the show strictly to those looking to make a wholesale deal.

This is definitely not akin to the CES (Consumer Electronic Show) which is targeted at generating consumer buzz by showing the latest, greatest audio, video, etc. gear directly to consumers.

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

The show needs to be virtual. The vendors and buyers could be set up for actual interaction, so they could get work done. The great unwashed general public could attend and look around, but with interaction turned off, they'd be invisible ghosts, and couldn't bother anyone.

I just can't wait for the future to get here.

The show needs to be virtual.

do you actually -play- an instrument? Would you buy them, in large quantities for great deals of money, by a picture on the internet? hahahahahahahahahahahahahahah.....

Steve Martin

Well Mike...

NAMM is an association of Music Merchants. They have never been interested in showing these new wares directly to consumers. It's supposed to be the place where manufacturers, sales reps and retailers make the big deals for the year. Yes, manufacturers try to showcase the latest, greatest gear but that's really just the window promotion for the nuts and bolts business of selling all their products.

At one time NAMM actually had a day open to the public. The result? Increase in stolen merchandise and very little positive effect on show, plus, that day business people were mostly tied up speaking to Joe Q. Public rather than making money. It's all about the money, baby!

They would rather consumers get to see this stuff when it hits the streets and keep the show strictly to those looking to make a wholesale deal.

This is definitely not akin to the CES (Consumer Electronic Show) which is targeted at generating consumer buzz by showing the latest, greatest audio, video, etc. gear directly to consumers.

Okay, that all makes sense. Thanks for the explaination, Neil! :thu:

And BTW, the odds probably favor us ending up spending the day at Gruhn and Forks instead. Not that that's a bad thing but the last time we did that it cost us a small fortune! :eek:

Reverbnation stuff

More Reverbnation stuff

do you actually -play- an instrument? Would you buy them, in large quantities for great deals of money, by a picture on the internet? hahahahahahahahahahahahahahah.....

That was very rude, Bill, but I decline your bait.

Today's VR technology, like Second Life, is not good enough to evaluate musical instruments. But then, I wasn't talking about today's stuff; that's why I mentioned the future. The thing is, technology like this is getting steadily better. How far we'll go toward The Thirteenth Floor or The Matrix is uncertain, but I have no trouble imagining it improving to the point where it could be used to meaningfully evaluate musical instruments.

Okay, that all makes sense. Thanks for the explaination, Neil! :thu:

And BTW, the odds probably favor us ending up spending the day at Gruhn and Forks instead. Not that that's a bad thing but the last time we did that it cost us a small fortune! :eek:

:D It's not their fault you can't stop the GAS in a place featuring exquisite vintage gear and boutique new instruments. ;) I'll join you for a drool, if you like. :)

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

:D It's not their fault you can't stop the GAS in a place featuring exquisite vintage gear and boutique new instruments. ;) I'll join you for a drool, if you like. :)

:D Yeah, but they just make it sooooooo tempting putting all that sweet stuff out there! Shame on them for doing that! :D

Reverbnation stuff

More Reverbnation stuff

I just heard recently that Gruhn's has an upstairs with instruments for VIPs. The story goes that Bruce Spingsteen was up there recently and was going to buy a $150,000(!) pre war Martin that was worth every penny(!!) due to it's pure magic, but the deal fell through.

Just a pinch between the geek and chum

I`ve never been to NAMM and it sounds less fun now that I`ve read about it. I`ll take the Tokyo Music Instrument Fair any day thanks-it IS aimed at the general public as well as VIP players, and is totally hands on-you can try instruments you don`t even normally play, nobody`s breathing down your shirt. It sucks that it`s every other year, that`s the only bad part.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

Gruhn definitely has more instruments in storage than on the showroom floor and some of them are worth more than my house and cars combined. :freak:

Yes, I have never been in the storage "vault", nor do I know what it takes to see the "vault". Somehow I don't think slipping someone there a $5 bill will get oneself in! :D

Reverbnation stuff

More Reverbnation stuff

Archived