Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

GAS attack - help quick...

ArnoldLayne

...too late...

I have rented a cargo van and I am driving to Cadillac (from Grand Rapids) to pick a Hammond M3 for free. Sight unseen...

By free I mean about $150 in gas and rental fees...

I don't know why I seem compelled to do something really stupid about every 3 or 4 months but it's getting old.

Oh well. The lady sounds very nice and says it was her mothers (who recently passed away). Her mother purchased it new in the '50's.

Maybe it will work out. I'll keep you posted. Everyone should get a good laugh out of this.

BTW, my M1 was serviced by a technician who has ruled out the tubes. He said with luck maybe a cap or a resistor. Without luck...solder joints are shot. He turned me on to the M3.

Cheers,

Arnold

Prophet 6, '38 Hammond BC, HR40, 2 Leslie 760's, Prophet 08 PE, RD700GX, Ensoniq E-Prime, SCI Pro-One, TX-7, CP80, Arturia VI's

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

She said "yes"...it's in there living room. 2 steps out either door we chose...

God I hope it works.

Arnold

Prophet 6, '38 Hammond BC, HR40, 2 Leslie 760's, Prophet 08 PE, RD700GX, Ensoniq E-Prime, SCI Pro-One, TX-7, CP80, Arturia VI's

I did the same thing for an m-100 practically. Drove (from grand rapids incidentally) out to Belding to pick it up. Less gas, but 100 dollars for the beast. I don't regret it a bit, even if it could use a bit of work. It doesn't get played as much as it should, but it still gets a fair workout. Now I just need a leslie.

Yes, I'll be locking down the tone generator.

Hey Scott, ever played the Driftway out in Belding? I wonder if that's still there.

Arnold

http://img237.imagevenue.com/loc363/th_97108_M3-1_122_363lo.JPGhttp://img134.imagevenue.com/loc679/th_97110_M3-2_122_679lo.JPGhttp://img191.imagevenue.com/loc537/th_97114_u-haul-sucks_122_537lo.JPG

Well, sorry for the delay on the report back but my phone has been off since the big storm that hit last Sunday. That would be last Sunday the day I picked to drive up to Cadillac...

The lady had two big burly brothers who loaded me up...cool.

150ft from the house I realized I forgot to tighten down the tone generator. I stopped and got out....no wing nuts...no lock down. This thing was bouncing and banging like crazy....not cool.

Stopped at Sears in downtown Cadillac to purchase crescent wrench. $25...not cool.

Walked up and down downtown Cadillac in the pouring rain....not cool.

I found an Auto Masters open, bought some duct tape and wrapped up the posts above the washer to take up the gap...it worked...cool.

Drove back in a traffic jam due to the rain and the fact I wasn't in a boat...not cool.

Yard was flooded when I got home. Got the u-haul stuck...priceless.

$100 towing bill and yard is screwed up....not cool.

total cost...$406.73...oh well.

3 wires need to be soldered back onto the lower manual draw bars... I can do that.

PERCUSSION DOESN'T WORK...NOT COOL! Broken rocker switch...I have a spare on my M1 :)

The organ looks very nice and sounds perfect. Just a little work and I should be good to go.

Thanks for listening.

Arnold

http://img245.imagevenue.com/loc359/th_09172_wrecker_122_359lo.jpg

Apparently my wifes camera phone is full of pictures of my little escapade. Since she has already sent them to everyone I know you might as well see them. The wrecker was still about 70 feet from the van in this picture. He had to drag the van sideways about 15 feet digging a massive trench and loading the van up with mud not to mention the trenches he left behind.

I should have waited for a B3.

:)

• 2 weeks later...

http://img183.imagevenue.com/loc497/th_74657_resistors_122_497lo.jpg

http://img107.imagevenue.com/loc497/th_74669_surgery_122_497lo.jpg

Well, I soldered the 3 drawbar wires back onto the drawbars. One worked fine, the second one yielded a note stuck on and the third failed to work at all.

As you can see I have the organ fairly dismantled. I only had to cut 5 wires. There were 3 for the bass pedals and 2 for the volume pedal. I can work on it and still plug it in and check my work. I'm being very careful as I know you are all very worried about me.

The note that was stuck on was the first C# on the lower manual. The second contact leaf(?) was trapped under the appropriate buss bar. I don't know how it got like that but I had to back it out and reset it. It works, now! The 3rd drawbar seems to have had some type of slight damage as the very flexible, flat metal strip that runs the length of the drawbar is fuddled up so I will be attacking that next.

Now, the percussion. I was hoping someone could help me. I fixed the rocker switch. One of the horse shoe shaped copper contact/tensioners fell out. I reset that but no percussion...

While I was cleaning the fuzz out from around the tubes I had them all out. When I picked up one of the 6C4 tubes to put it back in one of the prongs fell out. I'm hoping this tube was bad prior to removing it and it is the problem with the percussion. I'm not sure how I got it out if it was already broke but I'm hoping. I will be replacing that soon.

I was wondering about the resistors shown in the first picture. This work does not appear to be stock, to me. The picture was taken from the front of the organ, at the tone generator looking thru the wires from the lower manual drawbars (on the left in the picture).

Can anyone comment on this area as to it's potential for being a repair attempt causing the percussion issue?

Thanks in advance (and BTW I'm having a blast with this!)

Arnold

Archived