Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

a lttle OT: Kids these days

Ross Brown

This morning while waiting to leave to take my 12 year old step daughter to school and then go to work, I put on the Austin City Limits DVD of Johnny Cash. Folsom Prison Blues was the first song to play. My step daughter (who sings very well) sang along with the song and did not miss one word! :o My mouth dropped. What the heck? I asked her about it.... she said her friend loves Johnny Cash and she plays his music all of the time. Who would have known....? Everything I have heard her listen too would have led me to believe that she would just think I was silly for playing that DVD... Nice to be wrong.

"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

AC/DC Kiss Van Halen...a lot of the old school rock bands are popular... maybe from guitar hero or something. I'm not going to complain.

Now if they'll pick up YES and old school RUSH I'll be happy!

Brocko

Don't have a job you don't enjoy. If you're happy in what you're doing, you'll like yourself, you'll have inner peace. ~ Johnny Carson

I have 5 granddaughters ranging in age from 12 to 18. They all love music,(not my kind of music). I am fascinated how they know all the words to 100's of songs. I can't explain it but I think it is great.

Rocky

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb, voting on what to eat for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb, contesting the vote."

Benjamin Franklin

I'm 16 and ever since the video of Bela Fleck was posted on the bass-bassoon thread i've watched Bela Fleck videos on you tube after school. hey some of my nonbassist friends listen to Tower of Power. As brocko said old school rock is in!
"there ain't no faux mojo" jcadmus

My 9 year old step-son was singing 'Surrender' from Cheap Trick this morning- His dad played it on Guitar Hero. My co-worker was telling me his teenage son asked him to listen to this 'new awesome rock band', and he started playing AC/DC.

It is good that the younger generation is discovering some of this stuff.

"Political language... is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind"- George Orwell

My youngest is a 14 y/o who probably knows the names or more 70's and 80's songs than I do and who did them. No guitar hero, she is just a real music fan. I am thrilled by this.

She mostly listens to the new stuff but always has time and appreciation for the classic stuff.

I am a lucky dad.,

"The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know" by Me

When my son started his first band in high school, he was trying to teach them licks from Sabbath's "Parinoid" that he learned by playing along with me.

Sat bass chair for his band in an emergency. Lead guitarist wanted to show off their "cool, new song". It was BOC's "Godzilla" (the first song I ever learned to play on bass).

Son (22) still hasn't returned my "Essential Iron Maiden"

Ozzy is recycling any old school Sabbath he can with anyone he can from Disturbed to Primus.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

My kids--10, 6, and 6--get excited whenever Sam Cooke or the Beatles come on. My 10-year-old actually has a favorite Beatles album (it's Revolver). (She prefers Chaka Khan's version of "What's Going On" to Marvin Gaye's...well, OK.) Another daughter's favorite song is "I, Me, Mine."

I'm just so proud! :D

My youngest (29) likes a whole lot of stuff I have never heard of. But she has introduced me to good stuff as well, eg a few techno sub-genres (I like acid trance apparently) and some off-centre bands like 'Me First and the Gimmee Gimmees'. It works both ways.

Epi EB-3

G-K Backline 600

2 x Eden EX112

My kids are 17 (trumpet, euphonium), 14 (trumpet), and 13 (trumpet). They are currently working out the horn breaks from "Sir Duke". No prodding from me.

The 17 year old does a pretty mean "Lady Madonna" on her euphonium.

Some days, I do surely love horn practice time in my house.

My whole trick is to keep the tune well out in front. If I play Tchaikovsky, I play his melodies and skip his spiritual struggle. ~Liberace

Bottom: How many trumpeters do you need in one house?

Wouldn't it be more balanced to have say a trombone or a french horn? Anyway, hats off to you. My teenagers have disgarded their instruments ages ago. I have a 10 yo who plays very tidy guitar. She is my last hope.

As for their taste in music it is a wide spectrum. Every now and then you hear Oasis or Marvin Gaye and that's nice.

But on the other hand you get. "Nirvana they're rubbish, that music's so old."

There again we are talking teenagers.

Davo

"We will make you bob your head whether you want to or not". - David Sisk

I go to my son's high school, and the kids are all walking around wearing Led Zeppelin and AC/DC t-shirts.

So nice to see the kids appreciating the classics.

Sidenote: I just picked up the remastered AC/DC live album "If you want blood..." Awesome.

"Tours widely in the southwestern tip of Kentucky"

Bottom: How many trumpeters do you need in one house?

Wouldn't it be more balanced to have say a trombone or a french horn? Anyway, hats off to you. My teenagers have disgarded their instruments ages ago. I have a 10 yo who plays very tidy guitar. She is my last hope.

I didn't need ANY, Davo. But I produced three. I tried, unsuccessfully, to steer the 14 and 13 year olds away from the trumpet, believe me. Trumpet is what they wanted, so trumpet is what they got.

At least it's not the bassoon. :D;)

My whole trick is to keep the tune well out in front. If I play Tchaikovsky, I play his melodies and skip his spiritual struggle. ~Liberace

she said her friend loves Johnny Cash and she plays his music all of the time. Who would have known....?

Ross, first of all ... Way cool :thu: I'm not totally amazed, though.

Granted, I'm not 12 anymore and don't live in the US of A, but over here in Belgium, there's been a huge Johnny Cash revival amongst the younger.

I guess it sort of started with his American series and then there was the bio pic with Joaquin Phoenix.

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

Archived