Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Musically speaking, how is the economy impacting your music

57pbass

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm self employed and rural - I drive a lot. Paid $4.56 per gallon today and it is impossible to pass all the extra on to my clients. No no gear in my future.

*grumble, piss and moan*

"He is to music what Stevie Wonder is to photography." getz76

I have nothing nice to say so . . .

Yeah, gas (not the good GAS) is like having a second girlfriend; you have to take out for dinner a few times a week and buy her gifts....it's downright expensive.

Here in NYC it's about four and a quarter, but I have one of those tiny hatchbacks, so $40 usuall fills her up to the brim from empty. Good thing the studio I practice in is only a 15 minute ride.

No new gear for now, I might add an Avatar NEO 112 after I pay off some of my other purchases from the last few months. I'm trying to save money in others ways. I make breakfast and lunch everyday so I don't have to spend a fortune in the city during meal time. I also drive to the train station and take that into work instead of driving all the way in.

I still, however, will not use the Gore-approved 20 watt bulbs in my house....enough is enough already... :)

Cool topic, Dan.

I barely drive. My wife and I only drive for pleasure and convenience. Gasoline purchasing does not directly impact us financially.

However, the price of oil affects pretty much everything you purchase. If it ends up in a trailer, it is going to cost more.

My non-essential purchases have not been affected, though.

Hey Dano -

"Season" is over here, and gigs are mostly private parties - pretty much the same ones we played last year and the year before...

Day job's a different story. My drive went from 25 miles a day to over 80, gas/turnpike costs have relatively increased. But I won't complain too much. I missed being this close to the ocean (walking distance) after I moved from here several years ago... especially at sunrise:

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll253/JBFLA/odds%20and%20ends/zoo00120copy-1.jpg

Jim

Confirmed RoscoeHead

We in N Ireland are paying $9.83 for an American gallon of Diesel fuel!!!! We are in the middle of a crazy recession the construction industry is at an all time low, property has seen a 30-40% drop in vlaue in the last year.

Music wise I have put up prices and a there are alot less gigs now than ever.

Hey Dano -

"Season" is over here, and gigs are mostly private parties - pretty much the same ones we played last year and the year before...

Day job's a different story. My drive went from 25 miles a day to over 80, gas/turnpike costs have relatively increased. But I won't complain too much. I missed being this close to the ocean (walking distance) after I moved from here several years ago... especially at sunrise:

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll253/JBFLA/odds%20and%20ends/zoo00120copy-1.jpg

I just saved a few bucks on my next vacation..

I'll be staying with JBFLA at his beach house : )

Very nice Jim...

www.danielprine.com

Well, I've been unemployed for a while so GAS is a distant memory. We're not starving (my wife's working), but I'm not callous enough to spend what little "sanity money" we have left on gear.

And I find that I don't even mind too much, oddly enough. The lack of $$$ has meant that I have had to concentrate on technique (exercises are free) and that's all good. My playing is the best it's ever been. Last time I had a contract I bought a case of strings and, being an ABG player, I don't actually need anything else.

I was going to buy the "Bach for Electric Bass" book, but then it turns out it's just cello stuff, and there's a lot of classical MIDI files out there, so I've even saved money on THAT :D

Added: And decent gigs are pretty hard to come by, too. There's a lot of Tuesday nights out there for example, but between the rising petrol prices and the DUI laws, you know that you'll be playing to an empty house.

I'll be having my 2nd gig at an elementary school in as many weeks. I have to say those kids (and parents) are very receptive to our songlist! Mostly Red Hots, Scorpions, Iron Maiden, 80s-90s rock stuff.

As for gear acquisition, I've stopped searching for the bass cuz I have what I want now. :) Tho my Eden Highwayman head (10+ years old) is about due for a replacement. Too bad I don't have a spare $1000-1500 to throw around right now. I'm the sole breadwinner for my family of three (including me).

Bass is key.

----

Warmoth custom 4 string

* Quilted maple top/mahogany

* Maple neck, ebony board

* Audere preamp; Lindy Fralin pickups

* Badass bridge; Hipshot tuners.

Thx Joe Mergens at Mojotone.

I don't have any money for GAS related matters.

Gigs have been sparse over here since New Year. There seem to be a lot less private parties and private functions.

I don't drive (but ride a bandleader's van to some gigs). I notice mostly the price of food and the lack of gigs.

The cost of gas is infuriating to me - $4.25 for regular and $4.49 for premium when I filled up my car and my truck this weekend. Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee... Hello $120 in fuel.

That's about all that has changed. Still playing quite a bit and gigs keep rolling in. I continue buying completely unnecessary stuff. I have developed a serious case of what I'm calling "The Maury Syndrome". I have a powerful urge to hoard amps/preamps/cabs now.

Well we put $60 in the band van this weekend and got half a tank (ouch!!). Most of the gigs are local, but we do have a couple coming up in Knoxville and Arden, NC.

Luckily, we all can ride in the van with all our equipment, but man the V8 engine in that thing does tend to drink the gas...

So unless we have a really high paying gig, I doubt we'll be traveling very far from home.

On the personal front, it cost me $65 to fill up my small Chevy S10 and $50 to fill my GrandAm... Rachael's Honda CRV cost about $50 as well, but her vehicle gets about 125 miles more out of a tank than either of mine.

So far, our normal budget hasn't been affected, but we have made the decision to put off building a new house by several years. Which really sucks!

Tenstrum

"Paranoid? Probably. But just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face."

Harry Dresden, Storm Front

I have developed a serious case of what I'm calling "The Maury Syndrome".

Wait a minute, I just sold an amp!

Watch what happens when it mutates like the Andromeda Strain (original, please). You'll end up with a dozen camera lenses and a bunch of lighting equipment.

Watch what happens when it mutates like the Andromeda Strain (original, please). You'll end up with a dozen camera lenses and a bunch of lighting equipment.

...and how have you not already pushed me down that road as well? :D You with your fancy lighting techniques and the sexy lenses.

My family and I just moved 30 miles west from where we lived since high-school, and I work appx. 30 miles south-east of here, also. On rehearsal nights and gig-nights, I go directly from my job back to Montclair (appx. 12 miles) where we practice and have our gear, and hang around there for several hours until we either load up or practice. The alternative is to drive 30 miles to work in the morning, then 30 miles back home, hang here for about an hour and a half, then drive 30 miles to Montclair, then another 30 miles back. Since I already put about 60 miles on the car each day back and forth to work, it makes a lot more sense to drive 72 miles instead of 120. That's a boatload of driving along NJ's wonderful interstate system during rush-hour. At least coming home after a gig is late enough that I only run into highway construction and not 12 million people with road-rage.

I might enjoy it more in a comfy highway-cruiser, but fuel prices keep me in my '97 Saturn wagon. Nice car, but I feel like I'm sitting below the road surface...

Also, as some here know, I'm an avid fan of cheap unusual basses (accent on cheap), and that's been put on hold for awhile.

Play. Just play.

It's impacting on my music in two ways.

While we are still getting gigs the fees are not as good as a year or so ago. But... we ARE still getting them.

The bigger impact is on my time. Both my wife and I are self-employed and we're having to work many more hours than before just to pay the bills.

Costs are going up but I'm not getting a similar increase in fees.

The impact on my music is secondary to that on the family (no time for the kids, not time/money for a holiday etc etc.)

And yes, the music is suffering, as I don't have enough time for practice. I'm managing to stay static - to keep my playing standard where it is now - but at the moment there's no time to develop.

And you can forget about GAS!

Yeah, I know... so why am I wasting time posting here?!

Cheers

Graham

PS: I don't want to whinge though. I don't have a war raging through my town, nor a cyclone flooding me out, nor an earthquake wrecking my house. There are millions of people around the world who'd love to have my problems...

www.talkingstrawberries.com - for rocking' blues, raw and fresh!

Archived