Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

PC3 (76 key) appears to be ready to go

Dave Bryce

At least, the one I played on Saturday at Sweetwater's Gearfest was... :cool:

I hadn't had a chance to lay hands on the keys - it was really the final thing I had to do before deciding if one was in my future. I was really concerned that the action would be too light.

Suffice it to say that mine will be delivered on Tuesday. :thu:

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First the Nord and now this in one week. Sure, rub it in Dave...

Congrats :thu:

Yamaha (Motif XS7, Motif 6, TX81Z), Korg (R3, Triton-R), Roland (XP-30, D-50, Juno 6, P-330). Novation A Station, Arturia Analog Experience Factory 32

First the Nord and now this in one week.

C'mon - they were a month apart... :D

Anyway, it looks like that's gonna be the new live rig - PC3 on the bottom, Electro on the top. That should give me some pretty decent flexibility. ;)

dB

And the summer GAS season is well and truly under way! Congrats on the new board, Dave - is the 76 version's action weighted?

I must admit I've looked with interest at the PC3 but having splurged serious dough on the Motif XS7 and now the RD-700GX, I really have all I need to cover the bases.

Yamaha: P515, CP88, Genos 1, HX1

Congrats on the new board, Dave - is the 76 version's action weighted?

Semi-weighted...but the action is definitely beefy enough to play acoustic piano comfortably. Can't say the same thing about the Electro.

dB

Dave, what's the street price on the PC3 76 key at Sweetwater? What version of the OS was on it?

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

:thu:

Congrats Dave.

I am bewildered. I don't think either Guitar Center or Sam Ash (located right across the street) will be carrying the Kurzweil PC3. I'd love to hear it.

OTOH, I played the Electro 73 at GC over the weekend. They've come down in price, according to the sign, to $1,500 and some change.

But the interesting thing is that the action is much better than the model at Sam Ash. The one at Sam Ash is absolutely flimsy. This is the same one that has been on the floor since ProfD and I were there months ago. I don't know why they can't sell it.

I gave the Electro 73 another audition yesterday and was very pleased with the sounds. Love the effects. I don't have a problem with the Acoustic Piano sound in a performance setting. And, once again, I have to brag on Kanker. He really made the Electro rack sound good at the festival gig the other day.

Dave, I hope you'll have a moment to elaborate on the PC3 when you get it. From the point of view of a sound designer, tell us what you think.

I have a feeling you're going to have a great summer. Now you can officially retire the K2000.

Tom

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Dave, what's the street price on the PC3 76 key at Sweetwater?

I don't know. My guess would be that it's probably the same as what's on their web site.

What version of the OS was on it?

I didn't ask. I'll let you know when mine shows up tomorrow.

dB

Dave, I hope you'll have a moment to elaborate on the PC3 when you get it. From the point of view of a sound designer, tell us what you think.

I like to believe that I approach/evaluate instruments as more of a player than anything else...but I suppose it could be reasonably argued once a sound designer, always a sound designer - especially since one of the companies for which I've done sound design is Kurzweil... ;)

Now you can officially retire the K2000.

Already happily ensconced in the studio. :thu:

dB

Two Eric Moments in a month, I'm sure he has to be somewhere around here with a huge smile on his face. Especially considering his impending purchase. ;)

The PC3/Electro combo, colors notwithstanding :laugh:, should be a killer rig. Congrats on the acquisitions dB. :thu::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Kurz PC3 (76 notes) is 37 lbs.

Nord Electro (73 notes) is 20 lbs.

Boy those extra 3 notes on the Kurz are HEAVY. :eek:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

The PC3/Electro combo, colors notwithstanding :laugh:, should be a killer rig.

Yeah, I'm thinking of getting the Forat guys to redo the finishes of both for me. :idea::rawk::D

dB

Bruce and the crew have been doing custom work for a long time. It might cost you a little or a lot but it will cost. :laugh::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Semi-weighted...but the action is definitely beefy enough to play acoustic piano comfortably. Can't say the same thing about the Electro.

I was assuming that this action was comparable to the semi-weighted 76's on Fantoms and Motifs.

So you are saying that Kurzweil's is beefier Dave? This might be something to look into for pianos then.

Quote by db: (about street price)

"I don't know. My guess would be that it's probably the same as what's on their web site."

Uh oh, you know what it means when you buy something and don't know what the price is don't you?

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Quote by db: (about street price)

"I don't know. My guess would be that it's probably the same as what's on their web site."

Uh oh, you know what it means when you buy something and don't know what the price is don't you?

Mike T.

Yeah, You can afford it. ;)

No - what's that mean?

dB

To me it means:

A: You know what you want.

B: You know that the product satisfies your want.

C: You know the manufacturer recommends a fair price.

D: You know the seller uses the recommendation to set a fair selling price. And stands behind their sales.

E: You know from experience and research roughly what range the selling price will be in.

F: You know you can afford that range.

G: Screw the cost you want it.

I was assuming that this action was comparable to the semi-weighted 76's on Fantoms and Motifs.

So you are saying that Kurzweil's is beefier Dave?

Indeed. The Fantom and MO 76 use synth-type keys, open on the sides with weights under the surface of the key, I believe. These are piano-style keys, closed on the sides so they look like the ones on the 88.

Interestingly, it reminds me a little bit of the Hammond Suzuki action that my old K1000 used to have. I quite liked the feel of that board - didn't mind playing acoustic piano stuff on it at all.

dB

Two Eric Moments in a month, I'm sure he has to be somewhere around here with a huge smile on his face. Especially considering his impending purchase. ;)

The PC3/Electro combo, colors notwithstanding :laugh:, should be a killer rig. Congrats on the acquisitions dB. :thu::cool:

Congrats, dB! I love it when an Eric Moment comes together. I've been thinking about a few of those myself. :D

The lightweight gig-worthiness of this new dB rig is impressive! I still clamor for something lighter than an S90 or RD-700GX as my lower manual, but kinda hooked on these for the time being. If I can ever get the Mac laptop rig dialed in for performance, I might consider gigging with the Electro and a P120 or Privia type keyboard to save weight and space.

Regards,

Eric

Archived