Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT sorta from Skips Sitar.....

stamplicker

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You have to understand that in the pre-merger/pre-MTV days, when pop music was for teenagers and adults were listening to Patti Page, Dean Martin, and Mitch Miller; every radio station was owned by an independent guy. The most distance that a young person communicated was -occasionally- on the phone to a classmate from the same school. If you were in a band the only way to get your music noticed by teens (who would call their local stations to ask for your record if they knew about it..>) was to either rely on the quality of the guys who pushed records to stations for your record label (often not an option for smaller labels with little or no represetation)or to try to get on TV. Few stations were set up for live rock music, so you had to lip sync, and try to do it convincingly. Many times you might be doing a gig in a trown and be asked to appear on ther local teen dance party show, usually Saturday afternoon. You's show up with a snare drum and your guitars, and go through the motions to your 45rpm single, playing in the background. It was a fact of life, not a choice, in the days before the pop music industry weilded so much power, and kids were considered kids, not "the largest, easiest persuaded market".

It may seem stupid or even degrading today, but at the time it was your only shot, unless you were backed by some pretty big money. (again, not typical in the pop world.)

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

I can't view the Y/T video since I am on dial up right now but if we are talking about lip syncing, it was common while I was growing up in the 70s and even into the 80s - and some of the bigger names, too. The biggest shocker for me was seeing Ozzy and the band play along to Bark at the Moon - on Solid Gold of all things!

Reverbnation stuff

More Reverbnation stuff

I feel happy! I feel happy!

Archived