Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT Support Portugal in the Euro 2008

DavidMPires

Football is back again...

England is not going to the euro, and Portugal is regarded as one of the favourites after finishing 2nd on the last euro and 4th on the world cup, now with a younger and renovated team, which includes some of the best players in the world we are in for a show of football. Support Portugal if you don't have your country in the competition.

Squad list

Goalkeepers Rui Patrício »Ricardo »Quim

»Defenders Bosingwa »Miguel »Pepe »Jorge Ribeiro »Paulo Ferreira »Bruno Alves »Fernando Meira »Ricardo Carvalho

Midfielders Nani »Ricardo Quaresma »Deco »Simão »Petit »João Moutinho »Miguel Veloso »Raul Meireles

»Forwards Cristiano Ronaldo »Hélder Postiga »Hugo Almeida »Nuno Gomes

The Games start on the 7th of june....

http://www.goal.com/images/18387_news.jpg

www.myspace.com/davidbassportugal

"And then the magical unicorn will come prancing down the rainbow and we'll all join hands for a rousing chorus of Kumbaya." - by davio

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sometimes I enjoy it more when England aren't in it. I often favour Portugal despite their occasional referee-tricking antics (sorry, David ;) )- they always have skilful players and have found a way to accommodate flair into the team- which I appreciate.

I usually cheer for Portugal or Croatia (where I've spent many holidays) or whoever is the underdog.

is not pronouced like that Phil, I had some guys at work taking the mick. :D

It should be pronounced Kim. or Kyn.

He's actually the 2nd or 1st GK

"And then the magical unicorn will come prancing down the rainbow and we'll all join hands for a rousing chorus of Kumbaya." - by davio

This will be fun. Referee Tricking Antics. That's past. We need to get over that. Have you watched the Man U games? That kid is on fire.

Yeah the GK plays for Benfica and he was on the 2000 euro, world cup in 2002 and subsequent tournaments.

Ronaldo is set to win the best player of the year in december.

I've tried to avoid Premier league football this year due to the humiliating spineless performances of my own team and also because it's all just so money-related nowadays. The same four teams in the top four (pretty much) every season - boring.

What I've seen of Man Utd and Ronaldo though has been top class.

Which team do you support Phil...let me guess West Ham? Spurs?

Yeah I know what you mean. And don't want to sound patriotic but the league lost lots of character once Mourinho was sacked from Chelsea. He used to make the game more interesting.

Definitely. Mourinho should come to Derby.

Not to hijack the thread but here are some tables from the old days:

70-71

1 Arsenal

2 Leeds

3 Tottenham

4 Wolves

71-72

1 Derby

2 Leeds

3 Liverpol

4 Man City

72-73

1 Liverpool

2 Arsenal

3 Leeds

4 Ipswich

73-74

1 Leeds

2 Liverpool

3 Derby

4 Ipswich

(Man U relegated)

74-75

1 Derby

2 Liverpool

3 Ipswich

4 Everton

(Chelsea relegated)

75-76

1 Liverpool

2 QPR

3 Man U

4 Derby

It wasn't just the music that was more interesting!

I rather fancy Russia. If they can win the Eurovision song contest then they have got a lot of friends, which I have to say ... surprises me.

Davo

"We will make you bob your head whether you want to or not". - David Sisk

Well, the bookmakers in Vegas has Germany 5-1, Italy 6-1, Spain 6-1, Portugal 8-1.

I will support Italy.

I think the Germans will win, though. Spain should win on paper, but the last time they won something was... never!

David, Ronaldo is on fire, and most of the diving has been curbed. Let us see what he does in the Portugal strip, though, in front of the UEFA referees, before we clear him of his past. :)

USA v. England today; it is on at 3pm local time for me, so I have set it to record at home. I heard the England squad named John Terry captain and designated penalty taker. :)

They need to make sure they have plenty of tissues in case he misses a penalty again.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/telegraph/multimedia/archive/00673/terry404_673148c.jpg

I think he (ronaldo) has improved as a player and the past diving experience won't be a problem.

Spain doesn't look as strong this year. Raul is not going they lots of new players. Fabregas can be threatening.

Italy should be the best squad of the tournament. Germany they are string but I don't know if they can go far many new good players on the other teams and they don't have a strong team as before.

Getz why do you support Italy?

I supported Italy in the World Cup as I felt they had a great team spirit and a team identity.

Russia?

Only if it's rigged.

Remind me, I have vowed never to watch Eurovision again. That was the worst song. How come their neighbours vote for them anyway? It would be like Britain's former colonies voting for them just after independence. Maybe it's because of the pipelines.

And how come Serbia and Croatia always vote for each other despite spending an awful long time trying to kill each other. Strange. At last football is a little harder to rig.

Portugal still loses all the euro vision contests???? They used to finish in last. How was this year davo? I never thought you watched that... :)

David,

I support Italy because I am an Italian citizen (although I am still working out that paper work). My mother was born in Salerno, Italy. My father's parents were also born in southern Italy, but emmigrated to Sao Paulo, Brasil, where he was born.

I tend to support United States, Italy, and Brasil, in that order, in the World Cup.

Phil,

Russia... maybe Roman is bankrolling UEFA. :)

I root for Portugal, did so in the World Cup, and will do so again. Deco is my favorite of that squad, I even have a copy of his Barca shirt which I wear often when participating in sporting activities :) .

-P

(up to 200 characters) You may use UBBCode in your signature.

Thanks Pernax..he had a bad season this year but he will do well on the euro...i'm sure

The US looked like crap against England yesterday. I did not have much of a problem with the back, but there was zero attack. They gave the ball up cheaply. I would prefer Dempsey to play up front, or slotted behind a forward striker, maybe behind Altidore (the future!). Landon Donovan is not the answer; pants.

The coach's son, Michael Bradley, looked good. He's playing in Holland for Heerenveen.

England looked adequate, but with that amount of possession should have done more.

They looked very poor. I'm kind of glad we didn't get Eddie Johnson at Derby now. How come there are so few Hispanic Americans playing? I heard that soccer is still very much a middle-class sport in the US but, when I'm in LA, I take my son to a Hispanic American area for free soccer coaching and it seems there is some great coaching and a huge talent pool there.

I think England were playing in second or third gear, given the end of season situation and the fact there are no competitive internationals until September. Not that we're that good anyway.

What was worrying was that the midfield looked way better without Lampard - although the Americans did their best to make them look good.

Gerrard may not be the best midfielder in the world, but he is the best English midfielder. Build that midfield around him. Lampard has to be the most overrated midfielder in the world. I don't get it.

Also, Barry > Hargraves (he's Canadian!).

I thought I would see better, as Capello has not settled on a squad. As an outsider, I would want to see the youth playing; Walcott, Agbongleyor, Young, Bentley, etc.

How come there are so few Hispanic Americans playing?

I would guess citizenship. Also, there are no real football schools in the U.S., so finding young talent is hard. Kids that get sent to football schools tend to be upper-middle class, since it is not cheap. You need to be spectacular to get through just on skill alone.

Check out Clint Dempsey's story. Growing up in a trailer and still making it through.

Clint Dempsey making it happen in the EPL is the beauty of it. He started very hot, even though Laurie Sanchez did everything he could to hamper that squad. I am happy that "Team America" Fulham stayed up; what a run!

I just hope Josey Altidore makes a move away from MLS and hits Europe. Get him in Holland or the Bundesliga or the SPL.

Archived