Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Question for tutors about lesson content

Davo-London

Jeremy touched on something on Smelvin's ill-fated thread about getting the most from a lesson. After 3 1/2 years of drum tuition, I'm starting to really question the suggestions of my tutor for the way forward. He's got me learning a complicated song by Wekyl, which is OK but I'm not sure I get the point of this at the mo. Previously he has got me started on a Gadd solo that was just too difficult for me. Now obviously we've done a lot of rudiments and other stuff, which is great and is exactly what I need to get going. But we have also done displacement and other rhythmic illusions, which again I feel is fine for a pro but not for me. What I really want as a drummer is to be able to handle any situation I get thrown into. I want to have the chops to thrown in a fancy fill or two but really I need to be able to keep a tempo and not speed up etc etc.

Before you ask. Yes, I have tried to express my needs and they get partially answered. My tutor also arranges workshops for drums bass and guitar and these are great fun, particularly as I get to play more than everyone else, ie bass and drums.

Here are my questions:

AA) Do you think certain tutors are best at specific areas of learning (ie beginners, middlers etc) and that we should therefore change tutors as we progress?

BB) Just what should we spend our hour together doing that's most beneficial?

CC) Are lessons based on weekly intervals just too frequent for intermediate and above pupils?

OK I'm done now.

Thanks

Davo

"We will make you bob your head whether you want to or not". - David Sisk

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

AA) Do you think certain tutors are best at specific areas of learning (ie beginners, middlers etc) and that we should therefore change tutors as we progress?

Answer: Yes Yes and Yes, as an example, I wouldnt spend money on Steves lessons to learn theory, because thats something that anyone can do, and if they are good teachers that will be even better. Steves is a great teacher when it comes to learn composition, and harmonies, the best way of using bass as an instrument and not a supporting role. Thinking outside of the box. Each teacher has their advantages and depending on which stage of your playing you are at the moment, a different teacher will apply.

BB) Just what should we spend our hour together doing that's most beneficial?

What do you see as being beneficial to you, can sometimes be different of what your teacher thinks its beneficial for you. And sometimes just spending one hour chatting about your issues without playing can be beneficial, often I come out of lessons with even more questions than when I walked in, which is good, You ask questions on how to achieve your goals theres loads of ways you can do that, its just finding a way that suits you thats difficult.

CC) Are lessons based on weekly intervals just too frequent for intermediate and above pupils?

Weekly lessons I believe that are good for a beginner so you can learn theory and stay focus, after that, once a month or one every fortnight should sufficebeing a gigging player and a full time worker with parenting responsibilities it is quite difficult to make the most of every lesson without having some time to absorb the lesson, think everything through and apply what you learn to your playing.

My two cents.

www.myspace.com/davidbassportugal

"And then the magical unicorn will come prancing down the rainbow and we'll all join hands for a rousing chorus of Kumbaya." - by davio

I'd say its the job of your tutor to push you into things above you that you wouldn't feel comfortable doing otherwise. Or introduce you to concepts you wouldn't otherwise do.

I would think if you already know you want to practice your timing, you can work on that on your own.

Playing along to recordings will get you practicing simple concepts easily, and he presumably can correct any poor technique before it becomes an issue.

Feel the groove internally within your own creativity. - fingertalkin

Sounds like your teacher is teaching you things he/she wants to learn rather than the other way around. :)

It never hurts to check out other teachers to get what you want out of your lessons. Also, reiterate what you want. You're paying the $$$ and you have some say over the curriculum.

Don't forget you should set up jam sessions with people and work on the very things you're mentioning. It's a great way to learn.

And above all, record yourself as much as you can and listen back. The tape don't lie, as they say.

Bass is key.

----

Warmoth custom 4 string

* Quilted maple top/mahogany

* Maple neck, ebony board

* Audere preamp; Lindy Fralin pickups

* Badass bridge; Hipshot tuners.

Thx Joe Mergens at Mojotone.

Sometimes I think we don't realize something is beneficial until years later. I never took bass lessons, but I took guitar lessons for four years prior to picking this instrument up. Like you, my teacher had me doing stuff that I started to think defied physics. What was the point if I could never play it?

Turns out, 7 years later, that stuff really informs my playing from within my subconscious. I know this, because I now use everything my teacher worked with me on. He planted seeds and they took a long time to sprout, but when they did I was so grateful. Trust me, there were times when he had me working on Andres Segovia and I was about to scream, but now I pick lots of ideas out of those experiences. I think I owe Jason--my teacher--one of my favorite qualities as a bass player, which is my lack of fear in melodic situations. He drilled the modes into my head. Almost everything I play now was improved by that.

I have been teaching bass guitar and guitar to young beginners for four months--not long but long enough to get a taste for it. The teacher DOES have to set the proper pace according to the student. I am in love with the modes and so I always tried to bring them in, but, like myself at one point, that's just not what every student is ready for. So there is truth to the fact that sometimes a teacher needs to scale back.

That said, if he has you working on complex pieces, I would argue to stick with it! Those are the things that "flowered" inside of me, so many years later, and taught me theory in a subconscious way.

Archived