Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

a used Korg SG ProX, buy it?

zephonic

I've heard good things about this board, and am somewhat partial to it as it was the DP of choice for the late and great Kenny Kirkland. Anybody got anything on this? I'm about to get a Yammie P85, but I may be swayed if it's not too expensive. What would be a realistic price?

local: Korg Nautilus 73 | Yamaha MODX8

away: GigPerformer

home: Kawai RX-2 | Korg D1 | Roland Fantom X7

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kenny used the SG1D, which was the predecessor to the SGproX. A bunch of others used the SGproX, like one of Sting's more recent keyboard players, Billy Payne and some others. I had one real briefly and also the rack version. I could never get into the hyped M1-ish sound. I don't think it can hold its own compared to what's out there now from Roland, Yamaha, Kawai, etc. I actually liked the SG1D a little better. I thought it was the first really good digital piano.

Pricing...I would not pay much more than about $600-700 for one.

the ProX was a pile of rubbish... sold my Rhodes unseen/unheard to get one in 1997/98 after I read a positive review for it in SOS.

Very bright, no dynamics... sounds like a single sample with no filtering applied...'

I would think any P-range Yamaha (even the P60) from the last 10 years would beat it..

I will stand up for the SGproX after owning one for 10 years. It was a good keyboard in its day and saw me through over 100 jazz gigs. I bought it to replace a Kurzweil PC88, and it was a great improvement in sound for piano, rhodes and organ. I will probably use it for occasional gigs now as my Kawai MP8 is too heavy to move regularly, but a current model Yamaha or Roland will provide much better action and better sound.

Archived