Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The influence of American Music around the globe: Discuss

TShakazBlackRoots

Phhhtt... I can see the point of people selling records now that they have a catch-all label called "World Music", but I think it's important for those people to be recognized as just... musicians who make another kind of music. Certainly, as certain styles join the mainstream (think all the Jamaican stuff like Ska and Reggae) you start to find Jamaican musicians in the "normal" sections.

As far as "what do people outside the US call American music"? I have the experience of living in Italy, where record shops are typically divided into "Italian" and "Foreign" sections, where "foreign" generally means "coming from a rock tradition". There's often sub sections for jazz without much notice taken of nationalities and smaller sections for (ahem) "World Music" which is often described as "International" (go figure) and is usually divided by country. And there's usually sections for stuff like Electronica and classical as well. I believe the same thing happens, IIRC, in Argentina.

What's American music..? Wow, there's so much of it. I don't think any other country ever has had the chance to publish and publicly explore so much of its own music.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Goodness gracious! I am so impressed by the knowledge I have acquired from this debate :):thu: When I was in Nairobi on Saturday for my weekly gig as a talents judge, I visited their biggest records shop. Believe it it or not, Jazz was the only genre with IT'S OWN ROOM! :eek::D While all the local and foreign music 'fought' for space in this huge store, Jazz lovers like me can stroll into our own room :thu:

I bought 5 CDs by Kenyan Jazz artists + Raphael Sadiq's Instant Vintage (which was in the other part of the store ;) )

It's now truly a Global village, I am hopeful we shall all influence and accept each other's music and also support it, right guys? ;):cool:

America rocks!

My answer TShakaz's original question: I think America both assumes that the world has been greatly influenced by America's awesome contribution to the globe's music (I'm avoiding the phrase 'world music' - we get into some discussions here whose pedantry is something I thought was reserved for newspaper editors), and that it will eventually accept music from non-anglo cultures.

But give the US a break - it's not as if it's easy to dig all foreign music. If you don't understand the lyrics then the foreign music has to be pretty awesome for a person (or me) to get into. And it's not as if music from Botswana has been available in the US since 1850 - this is a recent phonomenon, maybe 30+ years. That's nothing, especially when you consider the tremendous output America produces on its own - we aren't exactly dying for music in America. That reason right there is the biggest obstacle for foreign music to make it truly 'big' here - we don't need it.

But I do think, and I do hear, influences from non-anglo music in modern anglo music. It's starting to seep in, but the american music tradition is now so strong it'll never all of a sudden change (like India, more on that later). But it's going to take quite a perfomer to make it 'big' in the states, especially if they sing in non-english.

Also, not every country's music is created equal - I can name, but won't, many countries whose music is really just not my cup of tea (cuz it sucks - sorry cultural relativists). Some countries are just not that into music - America is. So is India, where I currently am, and their native music is really, really awesome, and I'm not that into world music (damn!). Seriously, their beats are funky as hell, very translatable to western ears, and I'm even humming some of their big pop tunes (Om Shanti Om, anyone?) cuz they are so catchy. India is so great at music, like the US, that they can stand on their own traditions and not abandon them in favor of new creations from elsewhere - they can incorporate what's new and then still go back to their great traditions. Not every other country can.

Hope that helped. Is country music really that popular in Africa?

True ZZ Thorn, Country music is arguably the most popular American form of music in Africa :eek: .

I do understand your argument very well. America releases tons of music, they don't really 'need' foreign music. I once heard that there's a law in Canada that states that 60% of all music on radio stations must be Canadian! :thu: This has helped their industry, so much so that many Canadian artists are big in USA today.

The same law has tremendously helped South African music, which can now hold it's own and the musicians there can survive on only local sales and tours, much like in America :)

Since America doesn't 'need' foreign music for whatever reason, maybe we should implement/impose new laws were only 10% of all music on TV and Radio can be American ;):cry: . This could help build our market on the continent, dare I say. :rolleyes: It could also mean loss of revenue to the already ailing music business.... ;)

No, I think not all American music that we consume here is all that. Some of it is not good at all yet we still receive it, and it's played anyway. So ZZ Thorn, why should Americans only 'receive' the best of the best from us? :confused:

Tshaka, maybe you've answered your own question. Since a fair amount of music produced in America is mediocre, we can always "use" the best of whast you folks in other countries have to offer. That's a large part of the reason why I love music from other countries, it's a breath of fresh air and a joy to hear after suffering the Britneys, etc., of the U.S.

we get into some discussions here whose pedantry is something I thought was reserved for newspaper editors)

Well, pardon me for having an opinion, I didn't realize you considered it pedantry.

And it's not as if music from Botswana has been available in the US since 1850 - this is a recent phonomenon, maybe 30+ years.

If by "Botswana" you are referring to Africa in general, that's fricking hilarious. I wonder where the blues came from, if not from... places like erm... Botswana.

That's nothing, especially when you consider the tremendous output America produces on its own - we aren't exactly dying for music in America.

Yeah, but the problem is that music is not like tomatoes where you can say "We don't need to import tomatoes, we grow them right here!" Music from other countries is different and cannot always be grown succesfully locally. And really, it's not a matter of "needing" it, it's a matter of wanting it, which is a completely different thing.

But I do think, and I do hear, influences from non-anglo music in modern anglo music. It's starting to seep in

Yeah, I know what you mean... I've heard some fellows talking about a thing called "jazz"... It had some sort of non-Anglo influences, or so I've heard. And of course, things involving a twelve tone scale might not technically be "Anglo" either.

but the american music tradition is now so strong it'll never all of a sudden change

Erm... so what is this "American tradition that will never change", especially considering that as little as three hundred years ago there wasn't even much of an America to HAVE a tradition?

And it's funny how these traditions never change, considering that a guy like Keith Richards was born into a world where there was no rock and roll. Yup, in one man's lifetime this whole... thing sprang up. Funny about those non-changing traditions, eh?

Some countries are just not that into music - America is.

Countries that aren't into music? Such as where, precisely? I'd love to hear about these countries that aren't into music.

India is so great at music, like the US, that they can stand on their own traditions and not abandon them in favor of new creations from elsewhere - they can incorporate what's new and then still go back to their great traditions. Not every other country can.

So what ARE these great "American traditions", besides the melting of other musics? Are we talking about the folk music that came from the British Isles? Or the classical music that came from continental Europe? Or the blues and jazz that came from Africa? You've sort of made me curious now, especially considering how quickly things change musically in America.

I'm not knocking American music, just your weird assumption that a) you have musical traditions on the same level as, say, India, China or Africa (leaving out that relative newcomer, Europe) when America is a nation of immigrants and only a few hundred years old. "Tradition" is when people make music in the same style and in the same places as they did several hundred years ago. You seem to be confusing "tradition" with having a recording industry.

Anyway, so much for criticising pedantry, your hilarious jingoism is the most pedantic rubbish I've ever read on this forum.

If I knew how to use the English language well, I would have posted most of what Mr. Ferrington III has written in his last post :thu: Very impressive Sir. :) You have dissected the topic and replied Mr. Thon very well.

America needs (or they should if they didn't know), to welcome other forms of music with open arms, the same way the world welcomes almost all forms of American music. We admire it, we learn from it. But I'm sure there's a little to be learned from elsewhere too. ;)

Let me give you an example; at the East African Fame Academy TV show where I'm a Judge, the following artists' songs were sang by the students; Randy Crawford, Whitney Houston, Match Box 20, Bill Withers (2 songs), Alanis Morrisette, Eric Clapton (He's English but does Blues), Chaka Khan, Robin Ace etc..

All the above are American, right? I dream of the day when at the American Idols, US contestants will be asked to sing songs from other parts of the world :rolleyes:

Personally, I believe it's an impeccable marketing tool if they did ;)

I have limited knowledge on this subject, but I think American exposure to other countries music is limited. I guess we are so comsumed with our own "stuff", that we don't stop and seriously listen. Much of our exposure over the years has come from American artists who have traveled to other countries and have developed an understanding and appreciation for the "World Music" and have brought it back to America, either by trying to do it themselves or sponsoring groups from other countries to come here. The shame of it is, I don't think the "Average American" listenes with the ear of a musician and really does not "get It". Those of us who can hear, understand. Most Americans are too busy to listen.

MY humble opinion, for what it is worth.

Rocky

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb, voting on what to eat for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb, contesting the vote."

Benjamin Franklin

Well, pardon me for having an opinion, I didn't realize you considered it pedantry.

Hey man, you can have an opinion, just try not to make it so anal and boring. Or you could warn us. You could also warn us when you parse a long post and take things out of context, rather than looking at the whole spirit.

If by "Botswana" you are referring to Africa in general, that's fricking hilarious. I wonder where the blues came from, if not from... places like erm... Botswana.

What are you talking about? I said music from Botswana has NOT BEEN AVAILABLE in the US for that long. Was there Botswanian music being played in St. Louis in 1840? No. In 1920? No. It WAS NOT AVAILABLE, which is a reason why many musics from other countries have't taken root in America. They just got here! Don't blame me, blame the slow pace of technological advancements, if you have to blame something. Or you could blame, and this is really the thing to do, the lack of Botswanian immigrants to America - if they were here they'd be getting their music played. Look at the latinos - now they are a significant minority and their music is becoming more and more mainstream.

Yeah, but the problem is that music is not like tomatoes where you can say "We don't need to import tomatoes, we grow them right here!" Music from other countries is different and cannot always be grown succesfully locally. And really, it's not a matter of "needing" it, it's a matter of wanting it, which is a completely different thing.

Well, part of the rationale for laws that favor home-grown music, like in Canada, Venezuela, etc., is that they are growing their own tomatoes right here! With that rationale you must be against such laws, of which I am in favor.

If it's a matter of wanting it, the fact is the average american, who is not a musician, does not want to hear somebody sing a love song in Bantu. Only now, after many decades of Latino influence, are we even hearing popular songs in Spanish.

But I do think, and I do hear, influences from non-anglo music in modern anglo music. It's starting to seep in

Yeah, I know what you mean... I've heard some fellows talking about a thing called "jazz"... It had some sort of non-Anglo influences, or so I've heard. And of course, things involving a twelve tone scale might not technically be "Anglo" either.

I consider 'anglo' to refer to both the UK and America, if that clears things up. Both are predominantly anglo cultures, tho of course they have minority influences.

You bring up jazz, but my impression was we were mainly referring to pop music. I think my argument holds true for what it was aimed at - in anglo pop I have heard a bit of non-anglo sounds from 'world music' types of countries.

Erm... so what is this "American tradition that will never change", especially considering that as little as three hundred years ago there wasn't even much of an America to HAVE a tradition?

Well I don't know what is your standard, what number it takes, for a country to have a 'true Ferrington tradition'. 500 years? 1000 years? I certainly think America qualifies as having a 'strong tradition' of music, as its intensity has been so strong for more than 100 years. Shoot I'd say even the Kramer Ferringtons have a tradition now, and there's only 3 of them. For 100 years it has been putting out new, exciting, artistically and commercially sucessfull music, which is way more than a ton of countries can say. And it's not just due to technological advancements that America had that others didn't (indeed, America pursued the creation of many musical technology advancements) but it can be fairly said that it was their culture, that so values music, that was the ultimate impetus for their explosion of music.

Surely New Zealand, which is what, half as old as baby america, can be said to have some sort of anglo musical traditions. I couldn't name one band from New Zealand, but I bet they're there. Perhaps I haven't heard them because they're too busy keeping bees and working as hobbitt extras to make a lot of music, LOL?

Countries that aren't into music? Such as where, precisely? I'd love to hear about these countries that aren't into music.

Afghanistan. My point is, the intensity of a country's musical culture varies. It is a universal human value - everyone likes music - but it is not a universal cultural value - some countries value music more highly than others. I don't see how this can be denied.

So what ARE these great "American traditions", besides the melting of other musics? Are we talking about the folk music that came from the British Isles? Or the classical music that came from continental Europe? Or the blues and jazz that came from Africa? You've sort of made me curious now, especially considering how quickly things change musically in America.

The melting of musics is part of America's tradition - and how would that make it somehow not a 'true Ferrington tradition'? The synthesis of cultures is usually what makes a culture great. Greece wasn't anything until they started assimilating parts of Turkish culture. The Romans adopted much from the Greeks, as did many others.

Jazz certainly did not come from Africa. If you want to assign percentage points to the amount of influence a country or place gave, the majority of points have to go to native americans and I don't mean indians.

But jazz is not the only 'tradition' - how about American R&B? That's pure American - adding the rhtythm to 'african' (dubious - I could have sworn 'Don't Cry No More' was sung in english, not swahili) blues. What about american soul music? What about the extensive sound of southern soul, found differently in Memphis, Mississippi, Georgia, etc., or nothern soul, embodied in literate Motown? What about rap music (is that not old enough to be a tradition yet)? There are so many great american contributions and traditions it's not even funny. Only a hater would try and take that away, or say that 'oh well they're a nation of immigrants, therefore nothing they have can be truly 'native'.' Pure bunk.

I'm not knocking American music, just your weird assumption that a) you have musical traditions on the same level as, say, India, China or Africa (leaving out that relative newcomer, Europe) when America is a nation of immigrants and only a few hundred years old. "Tradition" is when people make music in the same style and in the same places as they did several hundred years ago. You seem to be confusing "tradition" with having a recording industry.

Well, there's tradition that's important for its duration, and tradition that's important for its intensity. I also find it hard to believe that Indians aren't creating new music, and adapting and reshaping their old music. You make it sound like they are totally stagnant, which would be odd for india as they are so big on improvisation.

Anyway, so much for criticising pedantry, your hilarious jingoism is the most pedantic rubbish I've ever read on this forum.

You know, I don't know who you think you're talking to but I sure don't appreciate my words being called 'jingoism'. And also, I think your whole tone in response to my post, which was honest, respectful and open-hearted, is really quite rude. Maybe you get your jollies acting like that, but I find it rather off-putting and would appreciate some basic courtesy.

And jingoism? Hardly. Just a fair examination of the intense, wide-ranging culture of american music and an attempt to explain why they are not so desirous of foreign musics. I say america is great at music just as I would say the japanese are great at putting tiny clocks in household appliances. I begrudge the japanese not at all for their skills. It's too bad you seem to begrudge the americans their fair acknowledgement. Perhaps you should throw out all your american music and see what you have left. My guess is your collection would be greatly diminished in quality.

Finally, I have spent probably 20 rupees (50 cents) here in India to defend myself from your rude allegations - I won't spend another 20. Please don't be so rude and it'll continue a pleasure to talk music with you.

Hey man, you can have an opinion

Well, isn't that BIG of you? :cool:

, just try not to make it so anal and boring. Or you could warn us. You could also warn us when you parse a long post and take things out of context, rather than looking at the whole spirit.

I didn't take ANYTHING out of context. I just replied to your post. I'm terribly sorry if that's never happened to you, but such is life, isn't it? So many new experiences.

What are you talking about? I said music from Botswana has NOT BEEN AVAILABLE in the US for that long. Was there Botswanian music being played in St. Louis in 1840?

Oh, there was plenty of African music around in early America, a lot of it played by people that hadn't really wanted to go there. It wasn't packaged as "world music" but it was certainly there.

In 1920? No. It WAS NOT AVAILABLE, which is a reason why

many musics from other countries have't taken root in America.

Excuse me, but except for native American music, what the hell else do you have to show that DIDN'T come to America from somewhere else? It ALL began as foreign music. Sure, America tweaked it and mixed it and changed it, and that reflects the global nature of the modern world and the zeitgeist and all that, but everything originally came with immigrants. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, it's just that you seem to believe there was some sort of traditional American music before immigrants started to show up and, except for Native American music, that's simply not true.

You bring up jazz, but my impression was we were mainly referring to pop music. I think my argument holds true for what it was aimed at - in anglo pop I have heard a bit of non-anglo sounds from 'world music' types of countries.

Jazz music WAS pop music for a long time. For several decades, in fact.

I couldn't name one band from New Zealand, but I bet they're there. Perhaps I haven't heard them because they're too busy keeping bees and working as hobbitt extras to make a lot of music, LOL?

I'm not responsible for your ignorance. Only you can take the credit for that.

And I never said that NZ has "musical traditions". The closest thing we have is the Polynesian music that was already here before the Brits showed up, but I doubt you'd find a New Zealander anywhere that wouldn't admit that our music all came over with immigrants.

Afghanistan.

Where the Taliban banned music at gun point? Yeah, whatever.

See, that's your big problem. If something happened more than five years ago, you don't seem to have noticed it. And you grab superficial things and run off with them without looking any deeper.

My point is, the intensity of a country's musical culture varies. It is a universal human value - everyone likes music - but it is not a universal cultural value - some countries value music more highly than others. I don't see how this can be denied.

I don't see how it can be measured or proven by you. And except for a country where people could be shot for listening to music(let alone playing it) you can't bring up any other countries where music is valued less than in others. I just think it's another demonstration of how blinkered and ignorant you are.

Greece wasn't anything until they started assimilating parts of Turkish culture. The Romans adopted much from the Greeks, as did many others.

Greece was the cradle of the modern world thousands of years before the Turks. In fact, many of the basic concepts of music such as notation, chords, harmony and tuning had their roots in ancient Greece. Other countries invented these things too, but the Western world inherited these ideas from the ancient Greeks.

But I'm not surprised you somehow believe that Greece was nothing until the arrival of the Turks, did I mention that I think you're ignorant?

Jazz certainly did not come from Africa.

Of course it did. If there had been no African influence there would not have been jazz, we'd still be hearing the same European music as always. It's like saying that wine has nothing to do with fermentation. And yet, without fermentation you only have grape juice.

But jazz is not the only 'tradition' - how about American R&B? That's pure American - adding the rhtythm to 'african' (dubious - I could have sworn 'Don't Cry No More' was sung in english, not swahili) blues. What about american soul music? What about the extensive sound of southern soul, found differently in Memphis, Mississippi, Georgia, etc., or nothern soul, embodied in literate Motown? What about rap music (is that not old enough to be a tradition yet)? There are so many great american contributions and traditions it's not even funny. Only a hater would try and take that away, or say that 'oh well they're a nation of immigrants, therefore nothing they have can be truly 'native'.' Pure bunk.

I'm not denying that America produces music, and lots of it, and that a lot of it is very good. But the things you mention, they're fashions, "tradition" is when you go to a church in Germany where Bach was the organist hundreds of years ago and the church still there, the organ is still there and the choir still practises on a Monday night or whenever it is. THAT's tradition.

And what ABOUT American R&B anyway? That was not born in a vacuum either, that goes back to Africa too. It's not just about the rhythm, it's about the vocal inflections, the use of the blues scale, all that.

Well, there's tradition that's important for its duration, and tradition that's important for its intensity.

So, following your logic, something that lasts for five minutes can be a tradition, just as long as it's intense? Interesting! How about a sneeze? Is that "tradition" too? It doesn't last long, but it's really intense!

I also find it hard to believe that Indians aren't creating new music, and adapting and reshaping their old music. You make it sound like they are totally stagnant, which would be odd for india as they are so big on improvisation.

Did I say that? No, they have a huge pop music industry where, because of the size of the population, they sell massive quantities of albums. I just said that they have deeper musical traditions than America, whereas to you they're on the same level.

You know, I don't know who you think you're talking to but I sure don't appreciate my words being called 'jingoism'.

I think I'm talking to a jingoistic, pedantic idiot. Who do YOU think I'm talking to?

And also, I think your whole tone in response to my post, which was honest, respectful and open-hearted, is really quite rude.

Well, just because something is open hearted doesn't mean it's not stupid. And it was you that started off being dismissive and calling me pedantic.

And jingoism? Hardly. Just a fair examination of the intense, wide-ranging culture of american music and an attempt to explain why they are not so desirous of foreign musics.

A "fair examination" that doesn't accept that stuff comes from places? Or that otehr countries may love their music as much as America does? Yeah, sure.

I say america is great at music just as I would say the japanese are great at putting tiny clocks in household appliances.

Ah, you see, you ARE an idiot.

I begrudge the japanese not at all for their skills. It's too bad you seem to begrudge the americans their fair acknowledgement.

I'm not denying anyone anything. It's you that's failing to see that other countries DO have musical traditions and a love for their own music that may well be on a par with America's. And of course, bringing up a lot of half learned history and crap about tiny clocks and bee keeping because your world view depends on cliches.

Perhaps you should throw out all your american music and see what you have left. My guess is your collection would be greatly diminished in quality.

Like I said, I *like* American music, I'm just not going to buy into your concept that it came from nowhere else but America, when (as I see it) it all strated out from somewhere. Even your classic American songwriters, many of them were immigrants or second generation immigrants. But to you, none of that ever happened and whatever is in America now was ALWAYS there, which is intellectually dishonest.

Finally, I have spent probably 20 rupees (50 cents) here in India to defend myself from your rude allegations - I won't spend another 20. Please don't be so rude and it'll continue a pleasure to talk music with you.

Well, thank you for that. Twenty rupees ARE twenty rupees after all! :cool:

See, that's your big problem. If something happened more than five years ago, you don't seem to have noticed it.

LOL, I guess my degree in history is only the history of the last five years.

I think I'm talking to a jingoistic, pedantic idiot. Who do YOU think I'm talking to?

You know, I would have been happy to discuss this sensibly and courteously but now I know I'm talking to a jerk. Not anymore, though.

Afghanistan, like any country, has a fine music tradition of it's own. I play an Afghnani folk song in one band. I doubt there is own country where music isn't valued. Of course some extreme religious groups ban non-devotional music but there is music in every culture.

Greece had a huge musical tradition, partly established in Constantinople and other parts of Asia Minor before that became Turkey.

America is a great source of music as it's a context where immigrants' and slaves' and their descendants' music mingled and developed together. But many countries have music which developed out of the interplay of different traditions. Spanish Flamenco and Greek Rembetika is the first example that comes to mind but even in Indian music with ancient traditions, the sitar comes from Pesia.

There is not really an example of a culturally distinct form of music which has not been influenced by any other. Trade and population movement are probably as old as humanity itself.

To see American music as superior to that of another country is wrong IMO. Politically, America is important right now, so the music is everywhere and we are fortunate that it is also vital music - in great part because it is the music of a relatively young country that combines musical traditions from the countries of origin of its population.

America is a great country, no-one's knocking it. It's not the only country with good music though.

See, that's your big problem. If something happened more than five years ago, you don't seem to have noticed it.

You know, I would have been happy to discuss this sensibly and courteously but now I know I'm talking to a jerk. Not anymore, though.

not cool.... please stop

"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

There is no American cultural tradition. How could culture and tradition possibly have developed in only 300 years? Hell, we don't even have a language, we had to borrow England's!

We're sorry. We will endeavor to improve ourselves. :thu:

Push the button Frank.

Well, ZZ, because you have a 'degree in history' does not de facto make you an expert on the history of world music. Not that I am defending Kramer's style of rebuttal (or yours, for that matter), but I agree with what he was saying, for the most part.

Most of what you said was based from a relatively shallow point of view. If you are going to come here and say things like Jazz is American and R&B is pure American, expect someone to shoot holes in your opinion in a matter that is not very warm and fuzzy.

For example, look at how much 'American' music is based on a Penatonic scale. For a long time, it was called the Slave Scale- I wonder why?

As far as America having a tradition, our tradition is to not create tradition. We are a fashion and fad based country. Aside of the little carved out niches here and there, we want nothing to do with the music of our parents and grandparents, our kids will not want anything to do with our music, and it goes on.

The biggest contribution America made to the music world is 1) being a great melting pot of cultural and musical diversity, joined together with wonderful results, and 2) Mass Marketing and Distribution. We have been good at getting different kinds of music out in the open.

Bottom line, America owes it's music to those who came here from around the world. It's a cyclical evolution. We may have taken it and ran with it, blended it, modified it and sold it worldwide, but the roots are still the roots.

"Political language... is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind"- George Orwell

Archived