Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Sax Forum

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Being a sax player, I have looked for a forum on the horn and have been unable to find one. However, if you post a specific question on this or other forums available at this site, you'll usually get pretty good advice in return. I don't think there are enough sax players out there to have our own forum. I have read some good information regarding mics and recording techniques for the sax on this and Roger Nichols forums..ask away.

Mark G.

"A man may fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he begins to blame others" -- John Burroughs

"I consider ethics, as well as religion, as supplements to law in the government of man." -- Thomas Jefferson

Hey Latin: Another sax player here. I haven't found a forum either but you might check out [url=http://www.cybersax.com]www.cybersax.com[/url] and dornpub.com/SaxJournal.html Sax Journal is a great magazine. Maybe if we ask them they will host a forum.I think there are enough of us out there to have it work. Maybe we are all too busy practicing........ Bruce

My folks bought me a Selmer Mk VI alto around 1970 when I was in jr. high school. I don't play every day but it's great for recording. Thing is, my horn needs some repairs. Due to the very high cost of fixing these guys and the fact that my horn is worth way more than it cost new, I'd like to work on it myself. Think I've sorted out the pad business but do any of you know where I can find screws (missing a couple that hold the guards on), and also need a weld or epoxy advice for a piece that's lifted up. Thanks. Also check: http://www.geocities.com/saxontheweb/Links.html#Maint

DC, pads are one thing. You can usually get away with replacing those if you're careful... but watch for leaks. Same with springs... but I'd leave any welds to someone who really knows what they're doing - especially on a nice horn like a MK VI. Phil O'Keefe Sound Sanctuary Recording Riverside CA http://members.aol.com/ssanctuary/index.html pokeefe777@msn.com

Some of you recommend me to make my questions here, but i had and usually i receive less than 3 posts, and i repost another question and my topic is forgoten :( , Well there are my questiosn if any of you know. What do you think about jean baptiste saxophones? what do you whink about buescher saxophones? I need just a good sounding one, not a profesional. Something that sounds like a MUSICA saxophones is good for me
Rebuilding My Self

DC, sounds like we got our MarkVI's about the same time. You'll want to call Ferree's and get one of their catalogs; they supply all the horn repair shops and have all the parts and manuals you'll need. http://www.ferreestools.com/ Let keep some good sax going. tim

LatinMusic, I posted this as part of my response to your post on the Keyboard forum. I don't know if you are still checking that thread. Sax on the Web forums: http://boards.eesite.com/board.cgi?boardset=saxweb There are a number of sax related threads on this site covering topics from inexpensive saxaphones to mouthpieces and reeds, altisimo technique, tone tips etc. In short - to your question about the Beuscher soprano sax. It is a pretty much middle of the pack student model soprano sax. The Beuscher name is owned by Selmer, but I don't know who makes these saxes. If you were looking at an alto or tenor, I would say sure, get a student model, but sopranos (even good ones) have notoriously poor intonation. You might be better served trying to find a used Yamaha YSS-475. Another option is to look for a good vintage horn. Pro quality vintage horns (all pre-70s) from makers such as Conn, King, Beuscher, Martin, Borgani etc. can all be had for under $1000 if you shop around.
Our country is not the only thing to which we owe our allegiance. It is also owed to justice and to humanity. Patriotism consists not in waving the flag, but in striving that our country shall be righteous as well as strong: James Bryce

LatinMusic, One more suggestion .... I'm assuming you are going to find a sax teacher. Your teacher can probably recommend a good horn. Often they will know of students who have either abandoned the instrument or moved up to a better horn. Good luck.
Our country is not the only thing to which we owe our allegiance. It is also owed to justice and to humanity. Patriotism consists not in waving the flag, but in striving that our country shall be righteous as well as strong: James Bryce

You'll want to call Ferree's and get one of their catalogs; they supply all the horn repair shops and have all the parts and manuals you'll need. http://www.ferreestools.com/ Tim, I tried to check these guys out, but the only products I can find listed are for straightening out horns etc. Where's their sax parts section? Phil, I realize that great harm can be done if repair work isn't properly exicuted. I'm just looking for a reversible quick fix really just so I can play the lowest notes on my horn. As far as the weld, I'm considering a drop of epoxy which would hold the part in place, but it could be welded right if the glue let go.

Thanks SfOracle, the forum adress you gave me was very useful, and your words at all. But, in Guatemala the things are very diferent, this world to musicians is like another world. In Guatemala there are just a few top of the line soprano saxes, and are $$$$$. An alto selmer could cost you here in guatemala $1000, if you find it cheap. When you said soprano has bad intonation doyou mean that the pitch interval between notes is not right, or you mean intonation with the other instruments?
Rebuilding My Self

I've got an alto Yamaha, just sitting there, begging me to learn how to play it. I've gotta...I love sax. Sax and drugs and rock and roll... :D And, if I could cop a style, it'd be Junior Walker. I mean, Coltrane's the ultimate, but Junior Walker had that balls to the wall style... [ 11-14-2001: Message edited by: Tedster ]
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

DC, Ferree's doesn't have much of a website (guess I should have told you this) but if you call their 800 number they'll send you a big honkin' catalog with more stuff in it for horn repair than you ever imagined existed. I reccomend that everyone get a copy of it even if you're not interested in working on your horn; its a really interesting reference.

LM - when I say many soprano saxes have bad intonation I mean that the pitch interval between the notes is not accurate in all registers. This has to do with the placement and diameter of the tone holes. You can tune it to a concert Bb (G on an Alto, C on a Tenor or Soprano) but when you play up the scale, checking it with a chromatic tuner, some notes will be out of tune. Here is a test for intonation. With just your mouthpiece (not attached to your horn) practice blowing an A 880 Hz (G below A 880 on a Tenor). Once you are familiar with the amount of pressure on the mouthpiece/reed to sustain this pitch, put the mouthpiece back on your horn, and tune your horn using the same pressure/feel on the mouthpiece. Finally, with the same consistent pressure, play a scale and check the tuning with a chromatic tuner. On a horn with accurate intonation, you should not have to compensate with your lip (embesure) to stay in tune, at least in the bottom 2 registers. This is a difficult test for a beginner player because you will not have developed a consistent embessure. As an excercize, practice this mouthpiece drill daily until you instinctively know how sustain that A 880 pitch on just the mouthpiece. If your horn does have bad intonation, you should practice scales, with long sustained tones, and a chromatic tuner to "learn" the intonation tendencies of your horn and how to compensate. I just feel that compensating for bad intonation is a bit much to ask a beginner player. [ 11-15-2001: Message edited by: SFOracle ]

Archived