Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Microphones for recording guitar

blueross

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wow! A PB90... I never would've guessed! ... Very cool mic to own, especially refurbed properly! :thu: Does it sound akin to the 44 or do they differ substantially?

What Mr Kane told me was that the PB90 was made, and it was expensive to manufactuer. He said that they simplified some of the internal parts designs, and released the revision as the 44, which was cheaper to make, therefore easier to sell.

Bill

Interesting.

In the late 1990's when Shure introduced the Beta91 they stopped manufacturing the SM91 altogether because of manufacturing issues. I'm glad RCA found a way to continue making Velocity mics in a more affordable manner. (Well... back then maybe! :D They're only affordable today in comparison to the 77's. ;) )

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

The Beyer M88 has a sonic signature much like the famous Sennheiser MD441. Thi smakes is usable for many, many things, from kick drum and toms, through cabs and Leslie micing, through horns, and on to vocals.

Bill

Yeah, I think it has more presence on vocals than the Shure 57 or 58, and it's great for trumpet.

Yes, unfortunately the MD441 has the worst stand clip on the planet.

Scott Fraser

I seldom see a 441 that is not taped to the clip.

The up side is that it is clear plastic and therefore impossible to find the parts when it does break, is fairly expensive, and is hard to find as no one carries them in stock. So when it does break (like, every time you use it...), you lose the use of an expensive mic, since pretty much no other clip on the planet fits the mic.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

And it doesn't fall to pieces under moderate stresses. The 441 demands to be treated delicately!

Scott Fraser

No doubt, Scott! The only other contender I know of for worst clip... MD421! ;) At least the 421 is a little more resistant to abuse... (But not much!)

I'm still amazed Sennheiser never saw fit to make a better connection for these clips or perhaps a metal version of the clip. How hard might that be? How much could it possibly cost over 30 or 40 years these mics have been around?

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Scott Fraser

I seldom see a 441 that is not taped to the clip.

The up side is that it is clear plastic and therefore impossible to find the parts when it does break, is fairly expensive, and is hard to find as no one carries them in stock. So when it does break (like, every time you use it...), you lose the use of an expensive mic, since pretty much no other clip on the planet fits the mic.

Bill

Bill, do you have a picture of that clip? maybe two or three views of it...

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Maybe I can find one here locally, scan it into a cad file and make some in nylon with SLS technology.

I figured that was where you were headed. As you can see, it is an expensive part. Would it be worth making an unbreakable one? I'm not sure for one reason...apparently Sennheiser has a soft rubber one available. I've only seen the clear plastic ones, and they snap so very easily...

Bill

Steve Martin

Maybe I can find one here locally, scan it into a cad file and make some in nylon with SLS technology. Ref: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selective_laser_sintering

Sign me up for one. I have two MD441s & one has a funky clip. Not broken per se, but the sliding latch no longer locks into place. It's a heavy mic & when pointing down, like onto a floor tom, it easily slides out of the crappily designed clip if that latch doesn't hold. Bad design.

Scott Fraser

Scott Fraser

I'm quite sure you can find an MD421 at most any studio, Lee. The 441 may not be so easy but they are out there. Only trouble being the likelyhood is someone's already broken the clip! :freak: The 421's clip is simply a narrow yoke. It slides into a channel on the mic's body and locks in place. It was designed to be low profile, allowing the mic to be placed relatively easily (considering it's rather large size) around drum hardware. The connection is a PITA. If the yoke itself doesn't break than people are constantly detaching the lock by accident. :eek:

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

"I'm quite sure you can find an MD421 at most any studio, Lee."

Right, but I'm pretty sure they wouldn't let me take it to be scanned, and these scanners are bigger than you car!!! LOL.....

Axis: 1,930mm (Length)*

Y Axis: 1,524mm or 1828mm (up-down Vertical)

Z Axis: 1,320mm (in-out Horizontal)

Overall Length: 5,000mm

Overall Height: 3,820 or 4,124mm

Overall Width: 3,080mm(includes Z axis travel area)

CNC Work Speed Range: 0-10,160mm per minute

Typical CNC Work Speed: 5,080-7,620mm per minute

Scanning Max. Speed: 7,620mm per minute

Scanning Typical Speed: 1,270-3,810mm per minute

"I'm quite sure you can find an MD421 at most any studio, Lee."

Right, but I'm pretty sure they wouldn't let me take it to be scanned...

Don't assume. Many studios have more MD421's than they need for a given days' sessions. If not a studio check with some audio production houses. They'd love to have a relatively low cost source for higher quality clips. ;)

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

I have a 441 that I purchased back in '89-'90...and it came with a heavy duty black clip. Yes...it too is plastic, but it is that tough plastic...not the clear plastic clips that seem to break up real easy.

But then...my 441 is an all-black model, hence the black clip.

This is the clip I haveand the mic is just like mine, although like I saidmine is all-blackincluding the grill and side panels:

http://cgi.ebay.com/SENNHEISER-MD-441-U-GERMAN-Vintage-Microphone-MD441-XLR_W0QQitemZ230238560922QQcmdZViewItem

You can get the black clips:

http://www.fullcompass.com/product/298022.html

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

I have a 441 that I purchased back in '89-'90...and it came with a heavy duty black clip. Yes...it too is plastic, but it is that tough plastic...not the clear plastic clips that seem to break up real easy.

But then...my 441 is an all-black model, hence the black clip.

This is the clip I haveand the mic is just like mine, although like I saidmine is all-blackincluding the grill and side panels:

http://cgi.ebay.com/SENNHEISER-MD-441-U-GERMAN-Vintage-Microphone-MD441-XLR_W0QQitemZ230238560922QQcmdZViewItem

You can get the black clips:

http://www.fullcompass.com/product/298022.html

Looks like the quick release clip does away with the latching catch, which is a very weak point, & also looks to be an unbreakable semi flexible plastic or rubber. Without the locking latch does it just hold the mic via friction? Seems like a big improvement over the old ones I have.

Scott Fraser

Scott Fraser

Archived