Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

HELP!!

sweet dissonance

So I bought an Ibanez GRG170DX electric guitar, and it finally got here today, and for the life of me I can not figure out how to make it sound distorted!! I've tried the tone knob, volume knob, and 5 way pickup selector, and nada. Basically right now I have a $249 acoustic guitar that just looks cool.

I've played an electric guitar that looks almost exactly like mine, and has all the same things (as far as I know), and that one had distortion! what is up with that? do I need some special part or something???

Please share your knowledge, as I know very little of electric guitars!

here is a link to the picture of it for reference

http://www.instrumentpro.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/ibagrg17dx.jpg

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
*siiiiiigggghhh*

a crate bass amp. everyone at this forum said it would work fine for electric guitars.

The amp is fine for guitar, when you want a clean sound. Not all electric guitar sounds are distorted.

Luckily, you can pick up distortion pedals, dirt cheap. (under $25)

*siiiiiigggghhh*

a crate bass amp. everyone at this forum said it would work fine for electric guitars.

The amp is fine for guitar, when you want a clean sound. Not all electric guitar sounds are distorted.

Luckily, you can pick up distortion pedals, dirt cheap. (under $25)

That is the best bet.

Yes - you need a distortion peddle. I know my base amp does not have an "overdrive" channel.

Check your local Craig's List and the Classifieds thread at the top of this forum.

Raise your children and spoil your grandchildren. Spoil your children and raise your grandchildren.

If you want to go cheap try one of the Danelectro cheapos for starters.

Fun Saturday - go down your music store & try out many pedals!!!

:D

G.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738517&content=music

The Geoff - blame Caevan!!!

So I could just get a distortion pedal and it would be distorted, and I wouldn't have to buy an electric amp?

Just to clarify. Electric guitars through an electric guitar amp, are clean sounding, not distorted. Some amplifiers (not all) offer the ability to add distortion, reverb and a few other effects. It's sort of like having the effect pedal built into the amp.

The way it works is, the guitar provides the music, the pedals provide the colour (distortion, reverb, flangers, etc.) and the amp makes it louder so you can hear it.

Yeah, I'd second the Danelectro idea.

They made a range of overdrive pedals which were meant to sell for only a few bucks and sell at music store checkouts (a bit like the National Enquirer!) And I *do* mean "only a few bucks". I bought the Metal Zone distortion once and it DID have a pretty good metal sound.

And then there's the joy of finding "alternative" distortion units. When I was a teenager, I used to play through a portable cassette deck that gave off a great, warm distortion. I've also played through ghetto blasters, old televisions and stereo amps.

If your bass amp has a volume AND a master volume, you can do as Geoff says and turn up the Volume as far as it will go and turn the Master Volume down a little (or a lot) and you should get some sort of distortion happening.

Archived