Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

A live track from our church worship band...

Gruuve

Here's a live track from Lifepointe Church's worship band (and yup, that's me on bass, doing the nasally thang...the bass is the Tobias by the way). It's a pretty jammin' tune, and quite a good mix for a live track!

http://www.ipass.net/davesisk/music/church/YourLoveIsAmazing_Hallelujah_LPversion.mp3

Enjoy!

Dave

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Love it,

that made me want to play on worship band, but as far as bass goes, I couldn't hear much, but that's a good sign, it means you were doing your job and driving the band.

www.myspace.com/davidbassportugal

"And then the magical unicorn will come prancing down the rainbow and we'll all join hands for a rousing chorus of Kumbaya." - by davio

BTW, I'm going to steal your bass line...

Knock yourself out, dude! Yeah, the bass wasn't quite as forward in the mix as I would put it :wave: but then I didn't do the mix.

The arrangement's pretty good...I kinda think the one whole verse with the quarter note pulse from the whole band is a little on the corny side, but that's how the music pastor wants to do it so I concede of course.

I'm privileged to be playing with some exceptionally good musicians in this worship band. Many of us play multiple instruments...I do drums as well as bass (and actually I sang our countdown song last week while the worship leader played drums on it...U2/BB King's "When Love Comes To Town"...that song is right up my vocal alley), one fellow plays acoustic guitar, bass, and drums, and occasionally leads, the other bassist can also play keys, the music pastor can play guitar, drums, and bass pretty well. It's a quite multi-talented group, and that flexibility is being used to the church's advantage as a new 2nd site opens. I'm playing every single week for the next couple months! :freak:

Dave

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Very nice but the bass is barely audible.

No, that's just how church sound guys mix bass.

Wouldn't want to offend anyone by putting too much booty in the thing.

:rolleyes:

Seriously, great tune performed well -- excellent vocals, and what I could hear of the bass line sounded juicy.

"Tours widely in the southwestern tip of Kentucky"

Hey Phil...actually, there's a lot of sixteenths in that bass line...unfortunately, you just can't hear them. (Maybe I'll try some EQ and compression on that track to see if I can bring it out a little more.) This is a live mix, and in order to not be "too loud", things get mixed in a very conservative way. The bass usually ends up quite low in the mix unfortunately (and that's regardless of who's playing bass that weekend). It's a little better live because there is a fair amount of low-end from the subs that didn't make it to the recording...but not that much better. I always find myself thinking "the congregation would be considerably more into this if the bass guitar and kick drum were considerably more potent in the mix".

As church opens a new site, the musicians are spread thin. I'm playing drums quite a bit over the next month or two...mainly because if they have to choose between a solid drummer or a solid bassist, the default choice is a solid drummer. The music pastor would much rather the bass spot suffer than the drum spot suffer. The reality is that it's difficult to argue with that logic. Can the rest of the band play more easily with a not-very-experienced bassist (ie. guitarist playing bass, etc.) or a not-very-experienced drummer? I would have to agree that having a not-very-experienced drummer is much more detrimental than having a not-very-experienced bassist.

So (as usual, right?) the bass guitar is viewed as the least important instrument, merely there for support. And the least important instrument doesn't get much consideration in the mix usually. Now, if we are doing a more funk-oriented song that is driven by the bass guitar, I'll explicitly ask the sound guys to bring me up in the mix. If not, I leave it to their judgement. After all, I'm not really playing for them anyway.

Dave

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Thanks for sharing, Dave, great song, great band, great job! I hope we can hear more of your praise band in the future.

I do wish more of the bass came through, especially since it sounds like you really put a lot into it, but I understand your constraints. I've been playing bass in our praise band for just over a year and every Sunday since September. Our sound guy "doesn't do loud" so my bass is barely audible, too. I'm told, though, that the floor vibrates in time with my fingers. It does get to be a grind with ten or so songs each week and only one hour-long rehearsal, so I can imagine what it's like to be split between two locations. Keep it up, I know how much your work is appreciated!

As an illustrator, I might hope my work could someday touch someone's heart, but a musician has the potentital to touch a person's very soul.

I think the bass was pretty reasonably in the mix for the christian rock band setting. Not alot of low end, but the whole nazaly tone is very much there. Nice work! unfortunately, in my previous church, If I played that line, the band leader would probably yell at me for playing too busy a bassline. :-P

Great line.

Dave - bass volume aside - good vox and lots of reverb or hall acoustics which gives the recording some air and breath. The electro-acoustic guitar sounded quite good I'm getting used to that tone as opposed to the pure acoustic guitar tone and it's growing on me. The solid body guitar was unnecessary to my ears and some of that flange/chorus tone detracted from the overall feel of the worship.

Good pace and delivery and something that we can worship along to with ease.

Nice, why wasn't the Roscoe in service?

I detected a flash of Hey Ya in the bass line and I can tell you funk it up, which coincidentally is my job too.

Cheers and GB

Davo

"We will make you bob your head whether you want to or not". - David Sisk

Seriously, great tune performed well -- excellent vocals, and what I could hear of the bass line sounded juicy.

Yes, I'd agree with that.

I turned up to play at Church one time and the guitarist and keyboard player failed to show. I had to lead the whole thing with just bass, percussion and singers. That was hard work but a lot of fun. I'm glad it was only once though.

Nice, why wasn't the Roscoe in service?

I detected a flash of Hey Ya in the bass line and I can tell you funk it up, which coincidentally is my job too.

Davo

Thanks Davo. This was recorded over a month ago, and I didn't have the Roscoe yet! :freak: BUT...luckily the Tobias has a great nasally growl (especially from the bridge)...in fact, that's about all you hear on the recording, without that growl the bass line would be completely inaudible. :deadhorse:

Dave

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

things get mixed in a very conservative way.

:rimshot:

Definitely sounded great, dsisk.

I've got mixed feelings about the quarters on the special verse. I liked it, but i was waiting for someone to do something (i'm not going to count the drum roll into the chorus). When you start something like that, the listeners internalize it, so you can do something offbeat and "interesting" without throwing anyone off...the opportunity was anyone's for the taking :-D.

jason

2cor5:21

Soli Deo Gloria

"it's the beauty of a community. it takes a village to raise a[n] [LLroomtempJ]." -robb

My YouTube Channel

Very nice but the bass is barely audible.

No, that's just how church sound guys mix bass.

Wouldn't want to offend anyone by putting too much booty in the thing.

:rolleyes:

:D

Sound guy at my church brings me as far up in the mix as he can get away with, and I think it's pretty adequate. The issue I have is that my church uses electronic drums (because they can be turned down) and they refuse to consider real ones. Kinda sux for poor bass player...

Definitely sounded great, dsisk.

I've got mixed feelings about the quarters on the special verse. I liked it, but i was waiting for someone to do something (i'm not going to count the drum roll into the chorus). When you start something like that, the listeners internalize it, so you can do something offbeat and "interesting" without throwing anyone off...the opportunity was anyone's for the taking :-D.

jason

I actually agree Jason...it begs for something to break the monotony...but the music pastor is a bit insistent on the quarter's throughout that verse.

Dave

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

So (as usual, right?) the bass guitar is viewed as the least important instrument, merely there for support.

that's certainly how it is at my church. and yet, when the new guy runs sound and puts the bass up in the mix, he gets tons of compliments about how good it sounds. imagine that.

After all, I'm not really playing for them anyway.

nor are we playing for ourselves.

robb.

That puts a dent in my theory about all modern worship sounding like U2. I definitely dig the bass work.

Thanks Sax! Yeah, I can't tell one Chris Tomlin song from another anymore...they all the sound the same to me.

CORRECTION: Actually, I believe the bass I was using on this live performance was the Warwick Custom Shop Thumb BO (which I recently bought and sold shortly after), NOT the Tobias Killer B-5. That explains the lack of substantial low-end but the fabulous growl. Thinking back, I'm pretty sure this might have been recorded the weekend I was using that bass in church.

Dave

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

That puts a dent in my theory about all modern worship sounding like U2. I definitely dig the bass work.

Thanks Sax! Yeah, I can't tell one Chris Tomlin song from another anymore...they all the sound the same to me.

Or Matt Redman...or Third Day... Or Jeremy Camp... Or Casting Crowns... Oh well.

I guess I better stop before I get blamed for hijacking another thread :D

Keep up the good work. By the way, what's it like to play with a keyboardist who actually sits on some chords once in a while?

I know what was wrong with the mix...The drums were too loud. Isn't that always the problem?

"Political language... is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind"- George Orwell

So (as usual, right?) the bass guitar is viewed as the least important instrument, merely there for support.

that's certainly how it is at my church. and yet, when the new guy runs sound and puts the bass up in the mix, he gets tons of compliments about how good it sounds. imagine that.

I have found that, in general, the average listener doesn't have any clue that the bass and drums groove and ability to groove together plays an enormous part in whether or not they think a band "sounds good". This goes with the volume and level setting as well. If they can't hear this primary Groove Setter-Upper-Thingie (totally technical new term) they know something is wrong - but they could never tell you what specifically if asked.

I have found that, in general, the average listener doesn't have any clue that the bass and drums groove and ability to groove together plays an enormous part in whether or not they think a band "sounds good". This goes with the volume and level setting as well. If they can't hear this primary Groove Setter-Upper-Thingie (totally technical new term) they know something is wrong - but they could never tell you what specifically if asked.

so true. This should be the first lesson taught to all musicians...including kids in 3rd grade who play the recorder in an orchestra with no bass or drums. There will come a day when they might be playing recorder in some eclectic college band.

j

2cor5:21

Soli Deo Gloria

"it's the beauty of a community. it takes a village to raise a[n] [LLroomtempJ]." -robb

My YouTube Channel

You're a groove setter-upper-thingie.

This gets my vote for post of the month! :thu: Absolutely agreed. As I usually put it, "people won't dance to an amplified AM radio".

Dave

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Archived