Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Anybody use CME keyboard controllers?

zephonic

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I owned the UF-8 for almost a year and loved its action, but its noisy and that sometimes annoyed me. Mostly CME is unreliable as a brand and that's a problem on-stage, as weird power cycles can happen out of nowhere, there are many many many MIDI bugs especially related to velocity and missing Note Off events that require you to power cycle or do something else drastic so you don't have a note ringing out for the rest of the song.

Unfortunately, feedback from users of their most recent gear, including thosde who still follow their forums and do software updates, indicates that the QC is not getting much better.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

I had a UF-8 for about a year and it was my first-ever keyboard. It was great value for money. Nice keys, only one of which which gave a slightly bouncy return, and a neat single firewire cable for both data & power (aftertouch only available via power adapter, which I was too lazy to unpack). Mine was built fine for static use, but I'd certainly describe the build as delicate.

Roland Fantom X8

Clavia Nord Wave

Yeah, it's a shame, because they really do have a nice keybed action (the weighted ones, at least), and on paper they have the most complete specs of any controller on the market.

I was hoping the VX-series, much delayed, would rectify some of the problems, but either here or in PM (I forget which), several members of this forum and the MOTU forum have informed me that the reliability (both hardware and software) problems remain.

This is probably common for any company just getting their feet wet -- especially one that tries to overachieve right from the start. And for what it's worth, I've met a couple of their staff and they're very dedicated and responsive -- it's just that they're overwhelmed.

Their gear DOES get good reviews for keybed action, audio quality (the headphone redistribution amp hakf-rack unit), etc. But even the reviews comment on the reliability issues.

I do hope they sort things out, because I am very frustrated right now at the under-spec'ed competition. My only remaining hope is that Yamaha will have success with the new KX series and follow it up with a KX Pro series later on.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

I'm eyeing the new Yammie KX8 as well, but I don't really believe it can be as good as the venerable KX88.

Is it too much to ask? A nice action, USB2/firewire audio/MIDI interface, some controllers and durability? And throw in some VST/AU host app geared towards live performance.

Hey, I realized that if all of us here at the forum were in charge of R&D this would have been done last year :-)

local: Korg Nautilus 73 | Yamaha MODX8

away: GigPerformer

home: Kawai RX-2 | Korg D1 | Roland Fantom X7

I'm eyeing the new Yammie KX8 as well, but I don't really believe it can be as good as the venerable KX88.

Indeed, and IT'S.. TOO BIG! :deadhorse::) I don't need to lug all that metal around - again, a weighted 76-key controller with the specs you listed would sell like crazy - at least I believe so....

I have a UF5, its ok for the price. They do have an "beta" editor that lets you remap the controllers and work with the velocity curves quite a bit. I've primarily used mine as controller for soft synths like NI's B4II and some others.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

I have the CME VX7! If you aren't that computer literate, it will give you some headaches. After dealing with it for some time you will find ways around it. The thing that gets me the most is.......... that it is HEAVY!!!!
Yamaha MODX8, Korg Kronos 2 61, Hammond B3, Novation 61SL MKII, Impulse 61, Roland D-550, Proteus 2000, etc......to name a few.

Archived