Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

One Hit Guitar Wonders

Zuben

Frijid Pink's version of "House of the Rising Sun" had some killer guitar work on it. Kingdom Come's song "Get It On" was a direct theft from Zep's "Kashmir" but it had pretty cool guitar work.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I no longer have my book about one hit wonders, so I can't think of any song off the top of my head. I seem to remember that there were quite a few surf groups in the 1960s that were one hit wonders.

One of my favorite one hit wonder songs is "Smoke From a Distant Fire" by the Sanford-Townsend band, but I can't remember if it has a big guitar part in it though because I haven't heard the song in quite a while.

Michelle

My new baby is a 2002 Collectors by Ovation

I think this is a cool song title -- "Can't Remember to Forget"

That song had a nice solo but I think the main line was the horn section.

By the way thanks for jogging my memory with that citation Annie-one of my faves of recent times would have to be the Freddie Jones Band`s `Daydream`. There`s an acoustic version on YouTube.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

That song had a nice solo but I think the main line was the horn section.

By the way thanks for jogging my memory with that citation Annie-one of my faves of recent times would have to be the Freddie Jones Band`s `Daydream`. There`s an acoustic version on YouTube.

Thanks Skip! You're right -- now that I remember the song, it did have more horns than guitar. Still a nice song, though.

I'm glad that I reminded you of "Daydream". I read somewhere that "Daydream" has been played on the radio about a million times. I'll have to check out the Freddie Jones version. One guy I know does a nice version of this song using an Ovation Celebrity bowlback.

Michelle

Oh yeah that song rocks, you really should hear the electric version to hear the riff I`m talking about-like just the right dash of The Edge, instead of the usual whole bottle :D There`s a couple of so-so recordings on YouTube but worth a listen. In fact it`s so good now I want to do an acoustic version too.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

one of my faves of recent times would have to be the Freddie Jones Band`s `Daydream`. There`s an acoustic version on YouTube.

YES!!! :thu: :thu:

I came across that in my CD collection the other day and listened to it. Awesome guitar work in that one!

Reverbnation stuff

More Reverbnation stuff

I feel happy! I feel happy!

mississipi queen- mountain

From what I remember that really was their one and only radio hit too.

http://www.mattragan.com/avatars/doh.jpg

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I don't know quite how to quantify a hit, but songs like 'Theme From An Imaginary Western' and 'Never In My Life' sure got a lot of airplay here in the Northeast.

Best, Paul

Yep, Mountain was huge here in Detroit also! :thu:

I wonder if what we have here is the difference between the FM stations you guys were hearing, and me, an eleven year old kid at the time listening to So Cal AM radio.

And if we're getting technical about what's a hit song, there's this from Wikipedia and other sites:

"The follow-up album Nantucket Sleighride (1971) also reached the top 20 on the US albums chart but failed to yield a hit single. After these early releases the band continued to receive a certain measure of critical acclaim but never achieved great commercial success."

Just a pinch between the geek and chum

I'm glad that I reminded you of "Daydream". I read somewhere that "Daydream" has been played on the radio about a million times. I'll have to check out the Freddie Jones version. One guy I know does a nice version of this song using an Ovation Celebrity bowlback.Michelle

I haven't heard it in a while...I always like that song. I thought it was only played in SoCal and a regional hit.

A Jazz/Chord Melody Master-my former instructor www.robertconti.com

(FKA GuitarPlayerSoCal)

I still like the dual guitar work on "Still the One" - a very nice arrangement - no it's not an improvised solo.

I can think of several guitar solos that I love, but most of the artists have distinguished careers apart from that one solo, so I would hesitate to call them "one hit wonders".

I heard a song on the radio yesteray, which I thought was stupid at the time it came out (late 80's-early 90's?), Not sure of the name, but I think it's "I'm Going to Disneyland" by Dada. Dumb lyrics, simple rhythm/chords; but some cool jamming near the end.

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

Great song but Hollies definitely not one-hit wonder

http://orly.yarly.org/orly.jpeg

See an old fart like me would know this :D

yes, us young whipper-snappers just aren't familiar with your style of music:grin::grin:

Never argue with an idiot. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=810593

http://www.myspace.com/dandelavega

Nazareth - Hair of The Dog

Not sure that they were one hit wonders. I know two other songs of theirs, White Bicycle and a cover of Love Hurts.

Red: Adam Ant had a huge hit with Ant Music.

I wish Hot Chocolate had been one hit wonders, then I could plug "Everyone's A Winner". Ahh, what the heck...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfLY0Yh0Hp0

I guess a better bunch of "one hit wonders" would be The Only Ones doing "Another Girl, Another Planet"

The Hollies- Long Cool Woman in a Black Dress

Hits (off the top of my head );

" Carrie Anne "

"Air That I Breathe"

All three of those songs have been in continuous rotation to the best of my appreciation. Definitely not OHWs.

As for Thorpe... it was the only thing that hit the air here in North America. I liked it at the time and a friend had that album but we never saw or heard anything else from him.

Rick Derringer on the other hand... he's Still Alive and Well.

I would guess a list made up from Fiji would be entirely different.

I still think guitars are like shoes, but louder.

Does anyone here remember the song "Hot Rod Lincoln" by Commander Cody and His Lost Planet Airmen? I seem to remember them as being one hit wonders.

Michelle

Does anyone here remember the song "Hot Rod Lincoln" by Commander Cody and His Lost Planet Airmen? I seem to remember them as being one hit wonders.

Michelle

Yes, I do recall that one. That's the only thing by them that I have ever heard.

These one hit "Oh-Need-ers" :D are actually harder to come by than I thought - at least one's featuring the guitar a little more.

Danzilla mentioned Donny Iris earlier - he also had Love is Like a Rock that got some decent airplay in our region, although I never hear it anymore. I actually preferred that one over Ah Leah .

Reverbnation stuff

More Reverbnation stuff

I feel happy! I feel happy!

http://orly.yarly.org/orly.jpeg

yes, us young whipper-snappers just aren't familiar with your style of music:grin::grin:

Doh! :blush: I suppose that's a compliment.. sort of :/ LOL!!

:)

Does Satriani count as a one hit wonder? I mean, I know he hasn't disappeared, but from Joe Average's point of view, he may have.

I heard him on mainstream radio when Surfing with The Alien came out, but haven't heard him there since. Did he have other actual hits?

Archived