Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Do you turn off your computer when it's not in use?

Blue JC

If I had read the thread before making my long post I could have left that one off. :)

Repeating it never hurts ;).

Anyway, I can understand if it's a server. I was forced to work on one as my development machine, took 7 minutes to start properly (5 to boot, 2 after login). The solution is then not to leave it on all the time; it's to get something else that boots it ahead of time (wake on LAN, wake over 56k - my brother used to call his own landline for this) so you can sit right there and get to work. Shutting down can be handled in similar ways - if I know something hasn't finished downloading but will do so in half an hour when I'm asleep, I just hit shutdown -t. Otherwise, it's the LogMeIn client; works pretty well, too.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sleep mode for the computer.

I, however, turn myself off when not in use.

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

In general, I'll shut mine off when not in use. My electric bill is high enough already.

As for work, at my previous job I'd leave it on and logged in so any important notices would get to me. Then in the morning, I'd check those notices, and reboot, so I could start clean.

My current job I'll shut down at night, unless otherwise directed due to updates pushed down. I hit the power button, go get my coffee, and by the time I get back, It's ready to log me in.

There are many schools of thought on whether to leave a computer on or shut them down. I only use mine for a short time every day, and I figure there's really no good reason to leave it on. The hard drive will shut down after 3 hours anyway (the way mine's set up). Plus my USB hub will charge my Palm pilot and my iPod with the computer off.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

I go into sleep mode and dread the day I need a reboot. Those electric paddles look like the hurt.

this is my reboot...

http://a248.e.akamai.net/7/248/430/20050722140048/www.mise.org/images/da/lgfs_1999_heart.jpg

♫♫♫ motif XS6, RD700GX

I, however, turn myself off when not in use.

I go into sleep mode and dread the day I need a reboot. Those electric paddles look like the hurt.

That's pretty kinky. :idea:

Toys...

I knew this girl in college who...

Ummmmmm, wait a minute. Wrong forum. :rolleyes:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Pretty cool having one in the kitchen. I was listening to Speak like a Child on itunes while looking at a recipe online for meatballs and cooking last night.
You'll make some man very happy as his new wife.

Lin, don't listen to him. I cook like a madman, and my g/f loves the combination of getting to try weird creations I concoct (which usually come out damned good!) and getting a break from making dinner on a regular basis. :thu:

She only complains lightly about the mess I make (and leave for her to clean up) :D

Archived