Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Y/T - One way to tighten your vibrato springs!

Hound Dog

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

She is a fellow countryman (or countrywoman :) ) of mine.

Funny...she wasn't even born when I spent a couple if years in Europe and specifically in Belgrade.

Back in 1973...Belgrade was actually a pretty cool city to be in. Good clubs, good music. All of Europe had an interesting mix of music at that time...as there were many American music influences, but also the British flavors, and then you had the whole European Pop music scene...when ABBA was going into full swing.

The radio stations would pick up music from all over Europe quite easily. It was a very cool time for me, and also very inspiring, cuz when I returned to the US in 75 my own band/music went into high-geardirectly stemming from the experiences I had in Europe. :cool:

Ana Popovic is pretty good...but not exceptional...and I hate the fact that they label her the "female Hendrix", just like with our American girl, Donna Austin...who also isnt all that exceptional...

and neither one are anywhere near Hendrixs caliber.

But yeah...she's got a nice pair of blue jeans! ;)

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

Lee, don't hold back... but it is a nice Strat!

Peace

Yeah LOL!! I'm not trying to be mean or unfair but GEZZZZ! she runs one riff the entire song,then for variety she hits the wah and does the same riff again, then she whips out the slide and sounds like she's been playing slide for six months AND the song is boring! beyond belief..nice Strat!

Then you should go to her website and really get off... :grin:

http://www.anapopovic.com

But it's all done in Flash and takes FOREVER to load.... :(

or there's her Fan site, which loads normal.

http://www.anapopovic.org

click on the link at the bottom of the page that says - who is Ana? ... check out this.. - it has a nice slide show with some more audio clips of her playing.

She has a rather large following in Europe...and seems to be well liked.

It must be the jeans.... ;)

I, too, thought the slide part was pretty weak. But some of her stuff is pretty good!

I could watch her play for hours.

So then we can say that playing guitar, isn't always about just playing guitar. ;)

Yeah...she certainly has some nice moves and great stage presence...which is about as important as playing chops if you want to be a true entertainer/performer. :thu:

You got those guitar players that just kinda' hunker down, drop their head...and pretty much spend the night semi-motionless as they play.

It does take away from their playing...IMO.

Not that you have to put on a circus show...but you know, a little flair and charisma can go a long way!

Well NEIL, there is no vitriol, it's just a opinion based on what I see and hear. I would think that if that kind of performance was done by a male blues player you would say pretty much the same things. If you are going to put slide in your act why would you bother putting in that kind of performance? There wasn't anything in that performance that was even up to par with any bar or club guitarist that I know who calls themselves a professional musician. I would say exactly the same comment about any guitar player/singer who performed that way. When you put emotion into your playing, and that emotion transfers to your stance or facial expression there should be some kind of reciprocal and noted reaction seen in your hands! Where exactly does the emotion stem from? it certainly isn't from interaction with the instrument LOL!!You asked......

Archived