Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

the weirdest thing, and so unfair.

zephonic

I know plenty of y'all use DAW's, so I do not consider this off topic: am having troubles with Cubase 4.1

Bought 4.0 out of the box, installed it on my iMac and ran carefree and trouble-free. Then -gullible sucker that I am- I got hyped into downloading upgrade 4.1 which was supposedly soooo much better, and things have been downhill ever since (I won't go into detail).

But now to the thing that's weird and unfair:

I KNOW GUYS WHO RUN CRACKED COPIES OF EITHER CUBASE OR NUENDO, AND THEY NEVER RUN INTO ANY PROBLEMS AT ALL!!!!!!

What is that? Some dude mentioned that since the active copy protection has been disabled on cracked copies they ought to be more stable (in theory, at least). And from what I have seen around me, I'd say this is true.

In fact, back in the day I knew a big-time producer who owned a legal copy of Cubase but worked with the crack 'cos it functioned better.

So what should I do? I own a legal copy, should I just go ahead and look for a crack?

:confused:

local: Korg Nautilus 73 | Yamaha MODX8

away: GigPerformer

home: Kawai RX-2 | Korg D1 | Roland Fantom X7

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know anything about Cubase, but I do know for a fact that security software, copy protection systems,take a tangible bite out of performance, no question. There are different layers of protection that take more or less performance away from the core application but basically, the more security you implement, the tougher it is on the core app.

I don't see this as a reason to use cracked software, at all, but I do think it's a real problem people should be aware of. And I wish there were a better solution. This was probably one of the advantages of dongle-based protection way back when -- probably more lightweight.

Gah, I hate security, the idea of security, the need for security, and the massive waste of resources on security!

Ultimately private property should be completely abolished, but that's going to take some time, probably another century or so. :)

I don't know anything about Cubase, but I do know for a fact that security software, copy protection systems,take a tangible bite out of performance, no question. There are different layers of protection that take more or less performance away from the core application but basically, the more security you implement, the tougher it is on the core app.

That's what I heard as well. Cubase security IS dongle based (USB) but the app still constantly scans for its presence so that means a finite amount of CPU is dedicated to that alone.

Gah, I hate security, the idea of security, the need for security, and the massive waste of resources on security!

Ultimately private property should be completely abolished, but that's going to take some time, probably another century or so. :)

Yeah, I hope that current obsessive-compulsive security excesses will one day be regarded as the folly of our time, the same way that we now think it ridiculous that 18th century people actually believed that smoking cured flu and other diseases!

As for the abolishment of all private property: I believe they tried that a while back in the USSR. Didn't work, turned out that private property was abolished for the masses and controlled by a privileged few :-)

local: Korg Nautilus 73 | Yamaha MODX8

away: GigPerformer

home: Kawai RX-2 | Korg D1 | Roland Fantom X7

Archived