Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Noobish Compression question...

Luke73

Firstly - very sorry about the noobish nature of my question:

So I think I understand the concept of compression. It cut's or limits the peaks of a signal - to squash it, and give it less dynamic range....right?

So - I've never used it before - but recently thought it might be useful.

I've always played fingerstyle until a few weeks ago, when I thought a few of our songs with an "edgy" rock feel would benefit from a more aggressive tone, and had a go at playing them with a pick. I've never played bass with a pick before, and I liked it fine. I think the sound really suits the couple of songs in question, so I figure I'll keep using the pick on those songs and play fingerstyle on everything else.

...which leads me to my question:

When I set the gain on my amp, I set it playing fingerstyle, so when I play my loudest notes the clip light just flickers on - then I back it off a touch. I then adjust the master volume dial to get the volume I need for the gig/rehearsal that I'm doing.

The problem is that when I switch to playing with a pick, of course the more aggressive attack of the pick clips the preamp quite alot - which I don't want for fear of damaging the speakers.

I also don't really want to have to adjust the gain each time I use the pick (on only two songs).

My amp (Eden Nemesis NC210) has a built in compressor, and I was thinking that I would be able to engage the compressor when I play with the pick to limit the signal from the peaks that I generate with a pick, and prohibit the pre amp from clipping (protecting the speakers)...

Am I understanding this correctly? Will this work, or do I have it all wrong?

Thanks,

;)

Luke.

:thu:

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You could turn down the bass (at the bass) to address the immediate need. Play with the onboard compressor and see how you like what it does.

I play with a pick for a few songs, but I don't find it that different because I often spank down on the strings with my fingers.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

you don't need to worry about damaging the speakers with a little preamp clipping, though you can turn down the gain if you don't like the sonic effect. still, it would be fruitful to try the compressor for both the dynamic *and* the tonal differences between fingers and a pick.

robb.

You could turn down the bass (at the bass) to address the immediate need. Play with the onboard compressor and see how you like what it does.

I play with a pick for a few songs, but I don't find it that different because I often spank down on the strings with my fingers.

Tom

Thanks - so far I do like what the compressor does. The bass sounds good with the pick, and the compressor on. As for the difference - the difference in output between my fingerstyle and pick playing is vast (which is one reason why I like it).

I could turn down at the bass, or adjust the gain of course - I was just wondering if compression would help.

;)

you don't need to worry about damaging the speakers with a little preamp clipping, though you can turn down the gain if you don't like the sonic effect. still, it would be fruitful to try the compressor for both the dynamic *and* the tonal differences between fingers and a pick.

robb.

Sorry robb - I'm confused about not worrying about damaging speakers with preamp clipping.

I thought that (solid state) pre amp clipping caused a certain type of signal that had the potential to be particularly harmful to speakers, even if the power amp level was set quite low, and as a result was something to be avoided.

Is that not the case?

;)

It seems that you are really wanting to run the compressor as more of a limiter... not necessarily "squashing" the sound, but more just setting an upper limit to the level.

Some compressors have a "limit" knob, if yours does just find what works. It you just have a "compression" or "level" knob, set that pretty high and work down until you are getting the level you want.

Preamp clipping is fine, it's exactly what's happening in a distortion pedal.

Alex

So are you saying that (this is not something I would normally do BTW) it is safe to dime the gain knob on my solid state amp to get a distorted sound, and it poses no threat to the speakers?

If that's the case I've been misunderstanding things.

;)

It seems that you are really wanting to run the compressor as more of a limiter... not necessarily "squashing" the sound, but more just setting an upper limit to the level.

Some compressors have a "limit" knob, if yours does just find what works. It you just have a "compression" or "level" knob, set that pretty high and work down until you are getting the level you want.

Hi Nutt - yes...I suppose I'm hoping to use the compression in this case as some kind of a limiter. It may or may not actually do that - which is what I'm trying to ascertain.

I'm not actually too fussed about it - just interested to learn more.

The compressor on my amp is very simple.

The manual states:

The compressor automatically tracks the input level and follows the gain. This is a fixed threshold type compressor. You control the compressor by setting the gain higher or lower; depending on how much compression effect you want. The compressor is also provided with a bypass switch to defeat the compressor operation if desired.

;)

Archived