Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

...but will it make you breakfast in the morning?

davio

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Jeff Berlin posted a MySpace bulletin about the self tuning guitar. Wish I had saved it. It was a beautiful, Berlinesque rant. Turns out, he's against it.
My whole trick is to keep the tune well out in front. If I play Tchaikovsky, I play his melodies and skip his spiritual struggle. ~Liberace

As if some musicians weren't lazy enough, Gibson gives us this?

As if stage lights weren't hot enough to put guitars out of tune every few minutes, as if some guitarists didn't go through half a dozen open tunings per gig... Gibson gives us this? ;)

There's been a few threads on this guitar on the GP forum.

My wife said, "Well, for over two grand, it'd better tune itself!"

As for J.C.'s perennially out of tune guitar players: that's when frets become a liability! Now if only we could install one of these self tuners into clarinets!!!

Peace

Paul K

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

Soon the standard Epis will ONLY be able to tune themselves. If you want quality in an instrument you'll have to spend the extra $4k to get a Gibson that can also play the tough parts for you while you dance around the stage.

zombieater, it's not so hilarious when you've been that Les before. :P

I guess I can't be too quick to dismiss it. I mean if people insist on using all these wacky tunings, having them all available on one guitar is appealing. Yeah, it's expensive, but what would it cost to have 5-6 Les Pauls in different tunings waiting off stage.

I saw this at the Summer NAMM show in Austin. The inventor, a youn German man. was very nice and showed us his tuners. You can have 5 or 6 different tunings and turn the knob to the one you want and it retunes and keeps that tuning. His invention could be installed on any guitar. He had it on a Strat I think. His tunning mod alone was about $1,200.00 I'm pretty sure it is the same thing Gibson is using.

Rocky

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb, voting on what to eat for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb, contesting the vote."

Benjamin Franklin

I knew about this ~6 months ago. What I'm interested in, and what I haven't got a straight answer on, is how it compensates for intonation adjustments for the different tunings.

my guess (looking at the gallery pics) is it doesn't

Well, go have a look at the features page and click on the bridge for an explanation of how it does it. As far as I can make out, it seems that the saddles keep track of how far out from the tailpiece they are and that is taken into account when tuning.

And why would you change the intonation whenever you change the tuning? :o:confused:

http://www.gibson.com/robotguitar/guitar.html

Yeah, it's expensive, but what would it cost to have 5-6 Les Pauls in different tunings waiting off stage.

Most guitarists I know (and a few bassists) aren't content with one instrument anyway.

My bandmates bring 3-4 guitars (and I have two guitarists) to gigs. Generally they have at least some of those ready with alternate tunings so they don't have to retune.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

I guess that's why I play a 5 string bass - ready for anything. I must be lucky. Every band I've played in for the last 10 years or so, the guitar player has used one guitar. Well, sometimes lately an acoustic and an electric, but standard tuning on each.

I saw this at the Summer NAMM show in Austin. The inventor, a youn German man. was very nice and showed us his tuners. You can have 5 or 6 different tunings and turn the knob to the one you want and it retunes and keeps that tuning. His invention could be installed on any guitar. He had it on a Strat I think. His tunning mod alone was about $1,200.00 I'm pretty sure it is the same thing Gibson is using.

Rocky

Exactly the same thing. There was a thread posted about this when the manufacturer/inventor's press release came out. I recall reading at that time that Gibson was working out the deal to get exclusive distribution rights. AFAIK the system is only available pre-installed on a Gibson. I haven't seen if it's available a la carte yet.

- Matt W.

I knew about this ~6 months ago. What I'm interested in, and what I haven't got a straight answer on, is how it compensates for intonation adjustments for the different tunings.

It doesn't do the intonation adjustment, but it does have a feature that informs the player about how many screw turns to do at the bridge to adjust intonation. For real. I $#!@ you not.

Peace.

--SW

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Well, I gotta tell ya...

When I was playing with my acoustic trio (yes, on g**t*r), there were times that I went from tuning to tuning between songs, sometimes 5 for 5. It got to the point that I was just as happy to use a Line6 Acoustic 700, which had the ability of 'virtual capo', alternate tunings built-in, different voicings, etc. It beat the snot out of dragging a couple of 6-strings and a 12-string to a gig, along with a banjo and/or mandolin. The loss of flow betwen songs due to capoing, retuning, changing instruments, etc. was getting to be tedious, so this option made the most sense.

I like the Gibby. I can't afford it and, not being an electric player as much as acoustic (though it's nice to crank up and wank out a bit on occasion), I have no real use for it, but I can definitely see applications for it.

Of course, how this can be listed in the email announcement as the 'Special Addition' I can't quite see. I thought 'New Math' was hard, now this??? Why this unreasoning hatred for the Abacus?

yo yo yo.

Play. Just play.

Archived