Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Movie - "Copying Beethoven"

Moonglow

Hi All,

I just wanted to share this with everyone. I recently rented the movie Copying Beethoven and was really moved by a particular scene where Beethoven is discussing music/musicians:

Music..... The vibrations on the air are the breath of God speaking to man's soul. Music is the language of God. We musicians are as close to God as man can be. And we hear his voice, we read his lips, and we give birth to the children of God who sing his praise. That's why musicians are honorable. And if we are not that, then we are nothing.

The movie chronicles Beethoven during the latter stages of his life, when his deafness becomes progressively degenerative. Ed Harris does an excellent job in his role as Beethoven, and the little hottie that plays his copyist is worth the price of admission. Overall, I give the movie a solid B and recommend it for any musician, even if they are not necessarily into the classical groove.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Moonglow.

Beethoven was such a complex personality that making a movie about him is a titanic endeavor. I've seen a couple in recent years, and to me, both failed miserably in giving the idea of his greatness, both as an artist and as a human being. If you read his letters, or his "conversation books", there's a kind of 'formal' enphasis that's hard to grasp today; you should put it in perspective of the period, the French Revolution, the changing role of the artist, etc...

If an actor simply transfers that enphasis into his interpretation, there's serious risk of sounding corny, or just plain ridiculous.

Beethoven was very conscious that he was leading a revolution as well, in music; but he managed to remain original, always recognizable but always innovative. This is an almost superhuman effort if you think about it... This brought in turn several difficulties in his everyday life and his relationships with others. A complex personality indeed...

Ulp, sorry, I got carried away. :D

These matters always get me quite involved... Plus, this morning I've listened to Beethoven's First Simphony. :)

I'll keep an eye on the movie.

I watched about a year ago. I think it does a wonderful job at portraying that particular moment, even if the situations are overly exaggerated. Overall, I enjoyed it.

Ed Harris' performance was solid. The women's however, was dreadful. I think the doorknob in my bedroom can display more emotion and expression than she can. I didn't think she was particularly hot, either ;) YMMV...

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

.....Ed Harris' performance was solid. The women's however, was dreadful. I think the doorknob in my bedroom can display more emotion and expression than she can. I didn't think she was particularly hot, either ;) YMMV...

Probably a fair assessment of her emotional expressions, but this may have been characteristic of women during that era. I was particularly referring to the scene where she assists Beethoven with conducting while hiding on the ground within the orchestra....and nearly has an orgasm in the process. Wow!

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

Archived