Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Need to find a Cab for my 16ohms Ampeg B25B

ABGBrian

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are you looking for a singe 16 ohm cab? Or would you consider modding the amp to run an 8ohm cab. I've done some digging on the web and this seems to be fairly common, although I don't know how it would affect the power output.

What is it rated at for 16ohms?

Maybe 2 8 ohm cabs in series, a 2x10" and a 1x15". What are you after?

Feel the groove internally within your own creativity. - fingertalkin

There isn't a switch like I've seen on modern tube amps to change the power output between 8 and 16ohms. It's a Vintage 72' head. There's two ext. speaker outputs that are both at 16ohms and that's it. You think it would be very costly to get a tech to change one output to 8ohms? Finding single cabs that can handle 16ohms is difficult.

Some output transformers have multiple taps for different impedences. If this is the case with your amp, it shouldn't be very expensive to have a tech rewire things. If, however, your transformer has only a single 16 ohm tap, it would need to be replaced with one that has an 8 ohm tap. This would be much more expensive.

Have you considered buying a 4 ohm cab containing two 8 ohm drivers (for example a 2x10), then changing the cab's internal wiring from parallel to series, giving you 16 ohms?

Have you considered buying a 4 ohm cab containing two 8 ohm drivers (for example a 2x10), then changing the cab's internal wiring from parallel to series, giving you 16 ohms?

No, which is why I started this thread to get suggestions about what to do with this 16ohms head. That seems like it could be a sensible solution.

After looking at the schematic zombieater sent me, I kicked myself for not realizing that the transformer already HAS multiple taps. One for a single 16 ohm load, and one for 2x16=8 ohms. :blush: The switching between the two is handled by the jacks themselves.

If the goal is simply to run an 8 ohm load, all you need to do is plug it into the "EXT" speaker jack, and insert a "dummy" plug (without a cable) into the main speaker out jack. No rewiring, no expense.

Archived