Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Compressor (yeah pedal....)

jar546

I have been noticing some tone issues with my basses and I had a good friend of mine come in for the holidays and recommend a compressor for my setup. He tried out everything that I have and said that was the only thing he would recommend to even out the tone and volume of the notes. I was told I could play lighter on the strings and get a more consistent sound. I was given a 1/2 hour lesson with waveforms on how a compressor works and it makes sense.

Are there any recommendations for a bass compressor? There are a few out there but the price differences are pretty big which makes me ask why....

I trust his opinion because he has been performing/playing music for 35 years, graduated then taught at Berkely College of Music and works in California writing/performing and editing music for TV shows and movies along with playing in a pile of bands over the years. Primarily a guitarist, he plays the bass, keyboards, sax and accordian.

I keep seeing posts from some of the members here who don't understand why anyone would ever need a pedal.

thanks for the replies (hopefully)

"The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know" by Me

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like the Aphex punch factory in a pedal compressor.

However the P Bass pickup can be adjusted to give each string the same volume. Thats the beauty of that pickup.

The compressor is a last resort type of fix, start with pickup adjustments. I always have the lower strings farther from the pickup than the G string to achieve tonal balance.

Another way to go is with a rack unit -- I'm not really a pedal guy.

I'm using a Behringer Composerpro compressor in my rack -- not a bad little rack unit, for about the price of a good stompbox, but with more control.

"Tours widely in the southwestern tip of Kentucky"

If going for a pedal, the EBS is a really good one. Also there is the BOSS CS-3, which I used to have, and is also real nice, even tho is more oriented towards guitar, has a "sustain" control which would be useful, for an instance, if you feel experimental. The MXR Dyna-Comp is also a classic.

I, however, prefer to use rack gear than pedals, and found out several years ago that the DBX 163x is WAYYYY easy to use, and does not changes much the sound/tone of what I am playing (If tone change is within your priorities, then the best suggestion is to test and experiment, I primarily use it to keep somewhat even the volume, specially when working with different basses, so I have it in the loop section of the preamp, right after anything that would define "tone" and anything that would react to my dynamics -i.e. the envelope filter-).

You can find those for cheap off eBay. Have a friend who uses an alesis 3630, also with good results.

Brought to you by Juancarlin.

www.juancarlinmusic.com

http://www.youtube.com/JuanCarlinMusic

www.facebook.com/JuanCarlinMusic

Instagram: @JuanCarlinMusic

I think the main use of a compressor to even out the volume of struck notes? I occasionally will play one single note too loud accidentally. I don't use any pedals or effects but probably need a compressor.

Rocky

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb, voting on what to eat for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb, contesting the vote."

Benjamin Franklin

The best sounding compressor I am familiar with is the Carl Martin Compressor Limiter. Good news: It tames your dynamics without killing your tone. Bad news: It retails for $245.

These things are incredible. Highly recommended. :thu:

Mudcat's music on Soundclick

"Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em."-The Webb Wilder Credo-

The best sounding compressor I am familiar with is the Carl Martin Compressor Limiter. Good news: It tames your dynamics without killing your tone. Bad news: It retails for $245.

These things are incredible. Highly recommended. :thu:

Those are great compressors as well - in fact pretty much everything that Carl Martin makes is great. I think the EBS one cost me $199 but I honestly can't remember for sure.

I'll affirm my love for the Aphex Punch Factory. Not cheap, but not over $200. I don't have any personal experience with the Carl Martin, or the Demiter, but they are both highly recommended to me constantly.

Mike Bear

Artisan-Vocals/Bass

Instructor

I'm using a big crunch and it has vol, attack, and sustain I'm new to this someone gave it to me to get use to using compressors. I really don't know how to get the best sound out of it, i've been told to set the attack slow, then fast. I could use some help.
If you smell something stinking, it's juz me, I'm funky like that

FYI, some compressors add a *lot* of "color" to the sound. Other compressors are very "clean", and affect only volume.

In addition to Jeremy's suggestion to use a tape-deck VU meter, it may be worth practicing with (good) headphones; you really hear what your bass (and fingers) is doing, as opposed to your amp. Good headphones can be had for about $100.

Archived