Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Whoo Hoo! Just finished my first gig on the FP-7

Norman

Not to digress too much, but on the topic of FP4/700XS. I compared the AP (and almost all the patches) of the 700SX and the S90ES. I came away liking the S90ES better, both for the AP sounds (though I thought the difference was minimal) and the EP and organ patches. I now own and am very happy with the S90ES. Yes, I know it's a very subjective judgement, so I'm not asking about which one is better. :)

What I am asking is: Does anyone know if that AP patch from the FP4 is the exact same sample that is on the 700SX? I'm curious. I do like the way the FP4 sounds in SK's recording.

I'm trying to get a decent digital recording of the S90ES with my band. If I come up with something, I'll post it. I'll say right now though, I'm not as good a player as SK. :) Also, I'm playing classic rock and not jazz, and I often use patches of two, three or four different sounds in separate zones across the keyboard.

Regards.

Samick baby grand; Yamaha S90-ES; Ensoniq E-prime; bongos; tambourine; djimbe

http://www.mindseyeviewband.com/MindsEyeView/MEV.htm

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

skykeys, the FP's/700SX acoustic piano (so called "Superior Piano") patches are the same. The 700SX has slightly deeper processing and EQ'ing. To my ears, the FP's have a slightly more refined, updated sound in the string resonance and effects, although more simplistic than the 700SX.

The default settings on those keyboards do little for me. Thorough tweaking and a top sound system brings out the goodies.

It is all subjective, and I know the S90ES has a good piano sound in it, and probably better patches to mix with it. I'm more familiar with the CP300, but all Yamahas tend to have a good overall sound. Splitting hairs, I think the CP300 has a better uniform sound across the keyboard than the FP's. But the FP's have a better sound on the timbre of individual notes, which vary from each other like a real piano.

And thanks for your comments.

Norman, it is great to see how much you enjoyed playing for others just for the sake of it. I'm sure that all of the folks that listened to you have taken home some of your joy. I always felt a warmth over me when things would come together when playing out for folks. It seems that same thing happened to you. Totally awsome.

Thanks for sharing the love of the Christmas spirit with us. The rewards for doing kind things for others will come back to you. I think your wife realized it too.

Jazzman :cool:

Archived