Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Airline Security & Gear

Courtland Milloy is my new favorite writer. * * * * * Airline Security Should Let Music Go First Class By Courtland Milloy Wednesday, November 7, 2001; Page B01 At a time when nail files and cigar cutters are being confiscated at airport security checkpoints, it's not surprising that musicians are especially concerned about trying to board planes with their instruments. This was a problem even before Sept. 11. When Nashville Symphony concert mistress Mary Kathryn Vanosdale tried to fly with her violin last year, she was told that the million-dollar Stradivarius would have to be stowed in the cargo hold. "Over my dead body," she replied. Last December, Peter Yarrow, of Peter, Paul and Mary, allowed the guitar he'd used since 1973 to be put in the cargo hold of a Delta airliner. He never saw it again. "It's been traumatic," Yarrow said in a recent interview. "The way we make music is so wed to the instrument." More.... http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A51848-2001Nov6.html

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've found Delta to be very accommodating. Maybe it's because I have a bazillion frequent flyer miles, but they let me stow my guitar in the first class closet if I the overheads are taken. But Marvin, good call on your new favorite writer!! Agreed!!!!

Archived