Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New Instructor

jar546

Since I moved to a new town about 6 months ago have not taken any lessons. Today while getting prices for my daughter at a local I was talking to one of the instructors when the phone rang. It was a cancellation for a lesson. I told him I would take that slot if he did not mind and he was happy about it.

Anyway, to make a short story longer.......The lesson went well and I learned quite a bit. He was able to assess my technique on a few items. I thought I was doing a pretty good job with "Come Together" by the Beatles until he assessed my playing.

My rythm/timing is good but I was playing the song wrong from a technique standpoint. Many of the notes are staccato and I of course was letting most of them ring out. He had me add some vibrato to the held high F in the 2nd measure of the main riff.

These items along with some finger and slide pointers really helped and makes a big difference in the sound of the song.

I am very happy about this. My work schedule does not allow me to have regularly scheduled lessons but he now has someone to call to fill in when he has a cancellation.

I really needed some coarse and fine tuning and can't wait until I go back.

OK, I'm done

"The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know" by Me

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To further this thread with discussion. He asked me if I would like to learn to play jazz and I answered with a "no". Not because I don't like jazz, (i do like it) but because I am assuming it is more difficult and I wanted to make sure that I had the fundamentals and figured that I would stick with the easier classic rock & newer stuff which seems to be less complicated.

Am I fearing nothing?

"The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know" by Me

Am I fearing nothing?

No, you fear learning to play jazz.

Congrats on finding a decent instructor. Maybe rather than just taking a "fill-in" spot whenever the guy calls you, you could schedule a lesson every two weeks or once a month and then fill in more when you both have the time.

I am curious why he would suggest you learning some jazz. Evidently he thought it would enhance your ability to play other music. I love Jazz, but I don't play it well. I probably don't know enough theory and chord progressions.

Rocky

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb, voting on what to eat for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb, contesting the vote."

Benjamin Franklin

Knowing jazz DOES enhance your ability to play other music. Once I learned how to play even the most basic jazz, everything else improved five, maybe even tenfold. I still suck, of course, but you know, for me it's quite a leap.

Seriously though, everyone should take a look at jazz. It's like it picks open a lock in your brain... it tackles stuff none of the other genres really try to explore (at least not as much).

Archived