Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Semi-OT: Amazon recommendations

revolead

About a week ago I was making a wish list on Amazon.com of some CDs I would like for Christmas. Anyway, I picked through the recommendations as usual, only to find that I have no idea who is recommending me anything (I know its automatic).

I have bought one Al DiMeola CD from Amazon in my life, and now, I get emails, recommendations, and all sorts of junk about great deals on Al DiMeola.

I like Al just fine, I'm just wondering if any of you have had a similar experience with these recommendations or if Amazon and other such Web sites will eventually decide I am worth more than another flamenco-jazz album. :(:D

Shut up and play.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yup, sometimes they take their cybernetic freedoms to recommend more of what you've already bought.

I'll recommend Ohm: to you... Last time I checked, which wasn't recently, they had two studio albums--either one is awesome although they first might be a bit more aggressive. The 2nd one sounds a bit better, I think, as far as production goes and has some tunes that sound more "straight-to-the-point". They might have a 3rd studio album out, not sure. I know they had a live one out as well, I think from a live radio appearance.

If you want real flamenco I recommend something by Sabicas.

"Without music, life would be a mistake."

--from 'Beyond Good and Evil', by Friedrich Nietzsche

My MySpace Space

I have bought one Al DiMeola CD from Amazon in my life, and now, I get emails, recommendations, and all sorts of junk about great deals on Al DiMeola.

Yeah, I think they've gone full steam ahead on the recommendations. I'm definitely seeing more e-mails from them. I hardly buy anything off them anymore, but I still get daily e-mails on new records and deals by bands whose records I bought over six, seven years ago. And that's the PERSONALIZED ones. Sometimes I get general e-mails trying to talk to me into buying records by boy bands or whatever, simply because a lot of people are buying that stuff.

Archived