Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Advice for a keyboard newbie

oldlady

I would like to buy a smallish portable electronic keyboard, maybe 61 keys. I would sing with it and take it to play for groups. I have been playing piano for a long time. Features I like so far: transposing, different voices and instruments, some rhythms, computer abilities, saving songs to play back later. A case would be handy. I looked at a $200 Yamaha yesterday, liked it, could spend more. What brands and other recommendations do you have? Do you know of any books or magazines that have reviews and ratings?

oldlady

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All depends on how much you want to spend on it. Do you plan on composing entire songs on it, too?

If you like the $200 machine enough, go with that, but if you're used to piano a few more keys may come in handy like this thing: http://www.zzounds.com/item--YAMYPG525

Do specify the model name :).

edit; here's a demo of the aforementioned MM6:

I think Yamaha is one of the best with starting out...I would look into something like an arranger workstation here at Yamaha:

http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/CDA/List/ModelSeriesListLE/0,,CTID%25253D205500%252526CNTYP%25253D,00.html

If you're just using it to compose only, than you might not use the built-in arranger styles/drumkits (I don't because I like to do everything 100% original and many composers prefer that way.) But arranger keyboards are useful because the drum patterns can be used to set the tempo of the song...then, you can go back and delete the drum pattern and make you own.

It just depends on what you want to do I guess.

Are you planning on composing or just playing the keyboard in a band, etc?

If you're planning on just composing and that's it, you might want to use a controller keyboard with a software sampler on your computer. I am heading in that direction myself and planning on doing away with my arranger keyboard's features and just using it as a controller.

Archived