Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Jamming with a keyboard player

Hardtail

...I'm no longer in a band anymore.

Does that mean you're no longer in a band or that you're now in a band again? ;)

(Ducks, runs and hides high school English and Grammar grades while being thankful that Safari now has spell check built in.)

What are you talking about?

Sounds redundant. If I'm wrong it would confirm my Cs & Ds in HS English. It was a bad joke. I know my writing on forums could easily be shot full of holes.

I guess I don't win any writing awards today.

Do you have any advice on jamming with a keyboard player?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My approach to jamming is to listen to the other guys. Other people's approach is to go in swinging as big dick and blow everyone else away. If you go in and listen to what is happening, you might find yourself playing stuff you never thought of before, simply because you're inspired by what the other guy is laying down.

Yes, yess, and thrice-yesss! This is troof.

Interplay is key here (seriously, no-pun-intended). Both to making it work, and to what makes it so much fun to play with a good keys-player! Playing together is not the same as playing at the same time- I'm sure you've heard examples...

Enjoy it... A keyboard gives you so much more freedom... You won't spend your time trying to fill up all the holes... Every band I've ever been in has had keys, (perhaps that's why I'm not as well rounded as I should be) but I never had to worry about those "lulls in the conversation" so to speak...You can spend more time doing tasty things instead of having to be "In Your Face" as you said... Have fun!!!!

Also yess and a Hell, yeah, too!

my experience is that the keys take up a lot of

space. this is nice gives you more freedom.

Yhup.

keyboard players don't understand

the turn your amp up loud enough to get your amp

to break up tone thingy.

they are always asking you to turn down the guitar.

"don't you have a volume knob"

"why does it have to be so loud"(I have a 18 watt 1x12 combo

turned up to 3)

Yeah, that could be an issue... hopefully, the guy's a Hammond B3/Leslie player and lover, though, and it won't be an issue! :D

Seriously, it should be fun. This guy's really into R&B, funk, blues... stuff like that. It'll be a challenge for me.

Ahhhh...he's into the good stuff!! excellent :thu: !!!!

Yhup! :thu::cool:

Listen to some Derek Trucks Band stuff for a good example of some classic, old-school cool keys and a guitar being done by some young, great players! Great tones- by both- too!

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Archived