Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Somewhat OT (Drum Machine)

B3bluesman59

I am a keyboard player who uses an Alesis SR-16 drum machine and hope someone on this forum can answer my questions. The volume control on my SR-16 is "scratchy" sounding when turned and does not raise or lower the volume at all. The machine works but the only way to adjust the volume is by turning the amp volume up or down. Can this be fixed by opening up the unit and shooting the volume control with a cleaning spray or does this sound like the volume control part needs to be replaced?

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd guess that if it's been scratchy for a long time and then finally quit that you might get it to work again (to some degree) with cleaning spray. The spray will (hopefully) clean the dust out from inside the part. But it really sounds like something more serious is going on that the spray won't fix, like a loose connection.

If you're handy with electronics and a soldering iron you might want to crack open the unit and check the solder joints on the volume pot. (I assume it's a pot since you said you turn it.)

Pots are relatively inexpensive, so you may want to consider replacing it. If that doesn't do the trick then I hope you have some electronics troubleshooting experience. Or else you'll have to find a tech to fix it for you.

RicBassGuy said: hope you have some electronics troubleshooting experience. Or else you'll have to find a tech to fix it for you.

I do have some electronic skills as years ago I used to build radio Xmitters and power amps. I'll open it up and take a look and see if I can clean up the volume and/or check for loose connections. From what I am hearing the volume control thing is a common problem on older units. This one was built in 1991.

Archived