Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Alicia Keys and Jupiter-8

Dana.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hmmm. Sounds like another example of the finer things in life brought to you by the stagehands' union.

If somebody tried to tape my keyboards, there would be fisticuffs.

Based on my experience, taping off logos is all about which brands are paying for advertising. It is not just about the individual artist's endorsement deals, though that can be a factor. Let's say Alicia is a Roland endorsee, but the show on which she played the JP8 was somehow funded by Yamaha. They would want that big Roland logo hidden. It is kind of like the idea of product placement. Even if it is some arcane brand, national TV is not going to want to provide any possibility of creating buzz about it unless that brand has specifically requested and somehow funded that product placement.

I played on Star Search back in the '90s with Ed McMahon and Martha Quinn (this was a few years when they actually had real rock bands, not lip sync crap). I had my Hammond XB2 ready to roll and I was a "Hammond artist," proud to display my Hammond logo. During setup and soundcheck, there was a lot of discussion about the logo and some calls back to the headquarters. Next thing you know, here comes the Star Search stage guys with black gaffer tape to cover up my Hammond logo. I insisted that I wanted to display this to live up to my endorsement with Hammond. They told me they had a list of brands that could be shown (Yamaha was one), but that Hammond was not on this list. It was a firm legal requirement that this could not be shown on national TV.

Regards,

Eric

Do you have a tape of that? Sounds cool.

Yep, I have it on VHS somewhere. I should convert it, but don't have the tools. I could get it on YouTube. But it is circa 1994 and not really all THAT great.

Archived