Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Recording

JayViddler

Hey guy's I gotta a quick question. I wanted to do a little recording, I use GarageBand, and I want to make sure I don't blow up my computer. There are two ways I usually go about this. One, I go directly into my computer's mic port with a 1/4" to 1/8" converter or I will record from my amps using a USB mic, the Blue Snowball. My question is, if I plug my pedal chain into the computer will it blow? Most of my recordings are pretty simple so if I wanted to use my pedals I would just mic my amp but, i was wondering if I could run my pedals directly into my computer since the mic's level is usually pretty low. Any answers would be greatly appreciated.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I hate to go against Zub here, but you should be fine as long as you are plugging in to the "line-in" and not the "mic". The mic input is powered and therefor isn't set up to handle the extra boost of a pedal. The line-in however should be fine. Just start out at a low volume and be sure it is not being overdriven. Stay below the red and the board should be just fine.

Does it matter if some of my pedals are plugged into an outlet. I use a few Electro Harmonix pedals and they all have weird voltages(I think its voltage, maybe impedance?). I held off last night to see what other people said. I'm just really worried, I can't afford to mess up my computer.

Very basically....

If you have a pedal with a "Line-Out" it sends out a signal which is specifically meant for a "Line-in" (i.e. the one on your sound card) so the impedence's etc will match and you will get the best possible recording quality you can get with the equipment used.

A guitar signal is not "meant" to go straight into a line-in, although it works.. It is not the best solution.

Do not plug your pedal directly into the computer. I will fry your sound board and posibly damage the rest of it.

Peace

Any sound card which can be fried simply by overloading its input is one you'd be better off without. Obviously a truly high voltage going into a soundcard input, like 200 volts, would singe the card, but the output from even the hottest of pedals is going to be under a volt. This may drastically distort the analog input preceding the ADC, but that's all. Just pad down the signal to match the input level capability of the soundcard & you'll be fine.

Scott Fraser

Scott Fraser

Archived