Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Finally played (bought!) a Warwick that I REALLY like...

Gruuve

www.myspace.com/davidbassportugal

"And then the magical unicorn will come prancing down the rainbow and we'll all join hands for a rousing chorus of Kumbaya." - by davio

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow wow wow!!

That doesn't look like the standard Thumb BO's that I see in their catalog/website. They are stated to be Ovangkol body and neck, and Wenge fingerboard. You've got something special!

If it has a serial number, you might try asking Warwick directly for the exact woods/specs. I am truely jealous. That's a beautiful bass.

[Carvin] XB76WF - All Walnut 6-string fretless

[schecter] Stiletto Studio 5 Fretless | Stiletto Elite 5

[Ampeg] SVT3-Pro | SVT-410HLF

Wow wow wow!!

That doesn't look like the standard Thumb BO's that I see in their catalog/website. They are stated to be Ovangkol body and neck, and Wenge fingerboard. You've got something special!

If it has a serial number, you might try asking Warwick directly for the exact woods/specs. I am truely jealous. That's a beautiful bass.

That is certainly not a standard Thumb bass!

Very yummy David!

;)

I would contact Warwick via email with the serial number and ask about the timbers used.

Contact Warwick Germany initially ( www.warwick.de ) and shoot them an email. When I've contacted them in the past they've been very helpful, and have corrected some misinformation propogated by the US distributor ( www.warwickbass.com ).

I have a suspicion about the timbers shown, but I would only be speculating - better to contact the source.

...also - the body looks like a high gloss finish rather than the oil finish more commonly used. If that's the case you don't need to use the Warwick wax periodically.

Nice fish!

:D

Thanks guys! I just flipped the photos right-side up, and increased the brightness on the two full-body shots so you see the hues a little better.

Yeah, I was already thinking that what I've snagged is not the standard thumb and I was planning to contact Warwick with the serial# to see what details they can give me. (I tried the same thing with the Tobias, but not surprisingly Gibson was fairly clueless. I can't imagine Warwick being the same in that regard though.) The other peculiarity is that it has MEC soapbar pickups rather than the standard J pickups. (Oh, and you were right...the pickups are indeed active, there's two wires coming from each pickup, one of which is red and would presumably be the power supply lead).

I do have to say one thing...the guys at my local Sam Ash always seem to treat me right on purchases like this! :thu:

Dave

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

LOL...you guys come visit Raleigh, and you can play it until your fingers are sore...I would likely even provide some drum accompaniment!

Dave

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Dave

It's just a guess based on a friends streamer but I think the wide neck version is basically the 6 string bass but with 5 strings. This would certainly account for the soapbars rather than single coils. Hope this helps. Cya

Ben

Dave - some day I'll make it to you, and probably won't have the time to play all those basses as long as I'll want to.

The guys at Sam Ash were nice to you while you were buying a Warwick? what a shock.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

The guys at Sam Ash were nice to you while you were buying a Warwick? what a shock.

Tom

Heh heh...actually, now that I've bought two used high-end basses from them, they pounce on me when they see me come in the door. I hardly had to negotiate at all...I told the fellow helping me what total I wanted to give him in exchange for the bass (and it was a reasonable total) and he made it happen with no himin' and hawin' (as we say here in the south) at all.

I've emailed Warwick in Germany with the serial# for details on the woods, build date, etc....will post what info I get back.

I took this bass and my small combo amp with me, and jammed a few times with my nephew (who's a budding teenage drummer) over the holiday...we had a blast. From what I can tell playing through a Nemesis NC-210 and with drums, I like how this bass sits by default in the mix.

Dave

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

OK, as promised, here's a quick sound clip...all knobs flat, no external preamp, no effects...nuthin but the bass itself direct injected. Ignore the clams... :freak:

http://www.ipass.net/davesisk/music/soundclips/WarwickThumbBO5_soundclip.mp3

I'm liking how well this wild brunette records...I can imagine in my mind's ear that with minimal production it will likely sit just right in even a dense mix...

Dave

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

I've emailed Warwick in Germany with the serial# for details on the woods, build date, etc....will post what info I get back.

I can barely make out the serial number in the linked picture... but I think the last 2 digits are "01" making your bass a 2001 model.

Definitely not a box stock Thumb with that sexxay fretboard. Nice lookin' fish.

OK, got an answer back from Warwick with some details! This wild brunette is a custom shop bass with ovangkol neck, flamed maple fretboard, zebrano (zebrawood?) top, swamp ash back, ekanga veneer between front and back, and the body has amber stain high-gloss finish. Build date was February 2001. He couldn't find the original price, but the same bass at today's price would be 3371 euros (or just over $5K in US dollars).

Sa-weeet... :cool:

Dave

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Nice sound. You can almost get a feel of the growl wanting to come out with that EQ flat... can't imagine how it'd sound if you dialed it in. Those low notes come through crisp and clear as well, something I've heard the Thumb's are good for. Still very jealous! :)

I know, right? Even boneheads like me get lucky occasionally!

What frequencies do you suggest to really bring out the growl? Seems like there's a lot of nasally honk around 300Hz (which I like), but I've still got some experimenting to do. Open to common suggestions since a Warwick is quite new to me.

After listening to this clip, I'm thinking this guy actually sounds a bit more like my Stingray5 than it does like the Tobias. It's got that same growly/gritty presence/vibe, but in a lower register than the 'Ray. And even my hands are small/average size for guy, this wider neck seems to fit my hands very nicely. This guy is definitely a keeper. I'll just have to figure some simple ways to compensate for the weight and balance.

Dave

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I think my Tobias has now been relegated to "backup bass" status.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Got me, man, I have no clue what frequencies to shoot for. I'm the "just fiddle with every knob/slider" kinda guy till I get something I like LOL.

Great work Dave!

I thought it looked like a custom shop Warwick - you've got one special bass right there!

Great to see Warwick came through with some good info. I had most of the timbers picked, but didn't get the Zebrano top - that sure is beautiful!

;)

Nice playin' too - it sure sounds like a Thumb.

:thu:

Yeah, I'm liking zebrawood...my Tobias has a zebrawood body, and sonically it seems to have an unusual level of clarity and bite. I'd say the same for this Thumb compared to other Warwick's I've played (again though, I don't recall if I've ever played a Thumb before...I don't think I have). Plus, zebrawood looks really nice!

Dave

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

OK...I've recorded a little with this guy, and used it in worship band rehearsal. With the EQ's flat, it's a little shy on low-end. This is probably the only bass I have where I have to boost (rather than cut) the lows a little on mixdown. Not a big issue, it's a simple twist of the low EQ knob, worst case (but I do prefer a bass that sounds "right" with everything flat). Since the strings are likely Rotosound Swingbass and those are known to be shy in the lows, I'm wondering if some different strings might make a noticeable difference...thoughts? I've seen several cases where folks replace the stock MEC pickups, and I'm also wondering if this is why? Does the growl come mainly from the woods moreso than the electronics on this guy? (I think the answer is yes.)

That said, I'm certainly still happy with it...boost those lows a little, and it seems to sit very nicely in the mix. It's normal that as you play an instrument in real music settings you discover the things that you don't like about it (and hopefully re-confirm the things you do like about it, which is the case here.)

Dave

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

• 1 month later...

Thought I'd update here. After recording with this guy, I decided that it's probably not one of my favorites. It really is surprisingly low-end shy, and the onboard electronics don't provide nearly as much flexibility as I prefer. This bass essentially has one really great tone with a few different flavors to it, so in reality it's not nearly as versatile as some of my other basses. Nowadays I prefer something like my Tobias much better sonically...I can get 2-3 great tones out of it with several different flavors of each (and all of them are good, if not great)...it's a considerably more versatile bass compared to the Warwick.

I do really like that wider neck, so I'll be looking for a wider neck on my next bass. I've sold this Warwick Thumb already...it sold pretty quickly (and for quite a bit more than I bought it for...even a blind dog occasionally finds a bone!) and I'll keep looking for my next bass to try for an extended audition (a Roscoe has been on my wish list for a while now...plus I'm kind of drawn to the Zon's as well...or I might consider putting together a customized Warmoth Gecko, we'll see.)

Cheers,

Dave

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

I agree Dave - I wouldn't say a Thumb is quite a one trick pony, but it's also not what I'd call a versatile bass.

As nice as it does sound, it doesn't have a vast range of different sounds.

Sorry to hear it didn't work out, but good news of course that you turned it for a profit.

You got a great deal on it in the first place, so the buyer probably still came out OK.

Everybody wins :D

:thu:

Archived