Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I got a red one - now, where's the tweaks?

Blue JC

I've been trying to decide between an XK-1 and a Nord Electro. After playing both on gigs and in stores, I found the organ sounds and leslie sims to be a push - dead even.

The deciding factors were the other sounds on the NE2 and the feel of the board. For some reason, it just feels more personal to play the NE2. I don't know if that makes any sense. It's a tactile thing I guess.

Anyway, I got a great deal on one and brought it home last night.

I remember that there were several in-depth threads about NE2 tweaks on this forum but I'll be damned if I can find them with this search engine.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

JC

Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer. W. C. Fields

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Congratulations Mr. Blue JC. :thu:

Thanks Tom and congrats on 10K. The closer we get to Thanksgiving, the better your avatar looks. Tasty bikini too!

Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer. W. C. Fields

Eric did a nice post way back when on tweaking the Electro, setting up/organizing patches, etc. I wish I could remember when it was to help you with your search, but I just don't remember. At least a year? It was a very informative thread. The new search engine kills the ability to find it.

Most of the tweaks, however, were personal issues - how much crunch to add to your organs (distortion) or EPs, how much key click on organs, how to set up patch groupings, etc.

I set mine up so each present remains the same basic instrument regardless of whether you are in Group A, B, C., etc. That way, I always know which instrument is where as I go through the groups - it stays the same. The difference in my group set ups is the settings. For example, in Group A, my Wurli might be clean, whereas in Group B, it might have a pinch of distortion with some vibrato effects in there. Group B would have different effects settings, etc. For clavs, it might be different pickup settings as you move between the different Groups.

I use the top rows of the preset buttons for the EPs and Clav (I don't have a piano sound in my Electro anymore, I replaced it with the new downloadable EPs). The bottom rows are all organ presets. I tend to keep the same drawbar settings assigned to each button regardless of group, but, again, change various effects as you move up through the groups.

Hope this is some of what you were looking for.

I printed out Eric's post (along with a couple others); tonight when I get home I'll see if the URL is printed on them, or can at least get the thread titles.

Congrats Blue JC, it's an awesome board! :thu:

Botch

In Wine there is Wisdom

In Beer there is Freedom

In Water there is bacteria

Thanks guys. It is an amazing board. I did a sub job with it last night and that little gal was turning some heads. Every single person in the band came up to me on the first break and wanted to check it out. It's hard for people to believe that that big sound is coming out of that little red keyboard.

It plays right and it feels right. With some practice, I'm sure that I will get better at using the drawbar buttons (drawbuttons?) without thinking about it. It's a very intuitive interface - although the buttons could be a little bigger and farther apart to accommodate my giant banana fingers.

There's nothing quite like a new keyboard high.

If anyone has the URL's, please forward with my thanks.

Best,

JC

Man, I just gotta say, a few weekends ago I saw two bands with Electros in the lineup and I was so impressed by how they cut through and how uncheesy and present they sounded. Wow. What a great live board it is.
Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

Hey Blue, well that now makes two of us heating up cold, damp and dismal NE Ohio with the red one. The best tweak I have found is to organize the banks according to your frequency of use. For example, I've set mine up on the A1 bank left to right as follows. Clav, Wulitzer, Rhodes one, Rhodes two, then on the bottom: Ac Piano, ElectroAcoustic Piano, Hammond full, Hammond 88800000 with soft third perccussion. You then can do specialty voces on another bank if you choose. Makes it all easier to get around in the heat of the moment. I think both you and your band will love the clavs. I look forward to hearing you work this thing out. Have fun.

There's nothing quite like a new keyboard high.

Agreed :thu:

And, just like that new car smell, a new keyboard is the same way.

Yes?

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Archived