Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

When should I move up to OS-X?

When should I plan to move up to OS-X? I mainly use Logic and some soft synths. Can I set up a dual boot option in case things don't go smoothly? Does the Mac file system (i.e. folders) change in any way to support OS-X? In other words, is the upgrade destructive in any way?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[b]Dan[/b], even though you use Logic, not ProTools, I suggest you take heed of the following warning: [quote]Originally [url=http://www.digidesign.com/support/hotissues.html]posted[/url] at Digidesign.com: [i]Installing OS X on the same computer that you run OS 9.x with Pro Tools can cause serious file corruption and permanent damage to Pro Tools-related disk directories. We have received reports that some users have installed Mac OS X on the same computer with their Pro Tools system. Pro Tools will not run at all on OS X, but more importantly OS X should not be installed by users on the same partition or hard drive as the Mac 9.x Operating System that you use as your startup drive with your Pro Tools system. (exceptions to this are the newer "Quicksilver" G4 models which ship with both OS 9.2.x and OS X pre-installed by Apple) Even when using Pro Tools with the approved OS 9.0.4 or 9.1, there have been reports of unrecoverable Pro Tools errors on computers after users have installed OS X in addition to OS 9.x. Digidesign is currently investigating these reports along with our development partners, including Pace Anti-Piracy and Apple Computer. Digidesign has been actively working with Apple for over a year towards supporting OS X with Digidesign products, but please be strongly advised that Pro Tools is currently not compatible with OS X.[/i][/quote] Both ProTools and Logic Audio use the same Sound Designer II file format, so Logic Audio may be vulnerable. I suggest at least waiting until Logic Audio 5.0 (OS X compatible) comes out. Emagic should post OS X advice at that point.

Enthusiasm powers the world.

Craig Anderton's Archiving Article

Dual-boot systems work fine with OS X. It works best if you keep OS X and OS 9 on different partitions. I usually just set the drive up with two partitions, install OS 9.2.1 on both partitions, then install 10.1 over 9.2.1 on the second partition. This way you have a dedicated 9.2.1 system for running classic mode in X, and a second 9.2.1 system on the other partition optimized for running music apps. I'm really psyched for Logic 5 under X. I'm going to MacWorld SF this year and am hoping to see it in action there.

[quote]Originally posted by tthoyt@hotmail.com: [b]Dual-boot systems work fine with OS X. It works best if you keep OS X and OS 9 on different partitions. I usually just set the drive up with two partitions, install OS 9.2.1 on both partitions, then install 10.1 over 9.2.1 on the second partition. This way you have a dedicated 9.2.1 system for running classic mode in X, and a second 9.2.1 system on the other partition optimized for running music apps. I'm really psyched for Logic 5 under X. I'm going to MacWorld SF this year and am hoping to see it in action there.[/b][/quote] Exactly my opinion as well. I hope MOTU is working on an OSX version of DP. Please,Please,Please,Please,Please,Please,Please, Please,Please,Please,Please,Please,Please,Please, Please,Please,Please,Please,Please,Please,Please,!!!!!!!
So Many Drummers. So Little Time...

[quote]Originally posted by soapbox: [b][b]Dan[/b], even though you use Logic, not ProTools, I suggest you take heed of the following warning: Both ProTools and Logic Audio use the same Sound Designer II file format, so Logic Audio may be vulnerable. I suggest at least waiting until Logic Audio 5.0 (OS X compatible) comes out. Emagic should post OS X advice at that point.[/b][/quote] So - I'm buying a G4, should I partition it? Will I loose OS X then or can I install X + 9.2 myself? I'll be using Logic... Thanks

Rotshtein Danny - Studio Engineer

Jingles show-reel

Visit DarlingNikkie.com To discover the sounds of "Darling Nikkie"(aka Jade 4U). . . .

New exciting project Goddess of Destruction

If you mainly use Logic, you should have switched to OSX back in September when Logic 5.0 came out and Emagic was the first pro audio developer to support OSX. Oh, yeah. Wait a sec, I forgot. That was the info in the Emagic PRESS RELEASE back from the beginning of the summer. As such, it had zero bearing on reality, as usual. Maximum promise, minimum delivery on said promise. So now when are they saying Logic 5.0 will release? Man, this vaporware crap really gets old to me. I can remember *2 years ago* people expecting to be running their DAWs on OSX in the near future at that point. With all manner of fantastic claims about performance. I also remember the anticipation of "hundreds" of simultaneous plugins on an Altivec enabled G4. I think that one was MOTU hype. When are we going to quit letting these companies get away with lying as a way of life? Regards, Brian T

Archived