Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Power Tubes

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If it has a power tube in it it is not a stomp box it is a power amplifier. As far as I know you can't plug the output of a power amp into an input of a preamp. Even the line output of an amplifier comes from the preamp section.

Mac Bowne

G-Clef Acoustics Ltd.

Osaka, Japan

i am a tube crazed surf guitar dude who in all my years have never heard that question. the only way(that i know) of pushing a power tube is having it driven first by a pre amp.there is one product(now out of production) that approaches what you are talking about:.it is a line level rack unit that (w/PRE AMPtubes)emulates all the power and glory of a tube power amp-from the buzz of 0.5 watts to the huge headroom of 200 watts plus all kinds of bells and whistles(bias control,a.c. hum, cabinet emulation,etc). i luv mine! s
AMPSSOUNDBETTERLOUDER

I've got a Cream Machine by Hughs & Ketner. It uses two 12ax7 tubes and it's suppose to use one as an output tube to emulate the output power distortion you get from the ass end of an amp. It does have huge amounts of gain, don't know how it would translate with a synth. You could always get a Marshall stack?!

Archived