Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Ion/Micron learning curve difference?

bc002k

I purchased a Micron back around June, and honestly haven't played it that much (other than buzzing around the presets). Problem is, I have NO knowledge of how synths work, and dialing through all those menus and sub-menus to tweak sounds seems tedious and complicated.

Now I'm thinking of selling it and getting the Ion instead (I wanted the Ion originally but the stupid thing was out of stock everywhere - now it's back in stock again). Would having all the knobs and controllers in front of me make it easier to tweak sounds and understand what everything does? Or would I be even more lost on that?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BC:

I have the ION 3 years. As you know, the Micron has a limited number of real time controls (knobs - buttons, etc.) so the Micron is deep with menus. The ION is easier to operate because it has the typical subtractive synthesis controls on the front panel, and a number of controls that weren't even thought of on some of the early anolog subtractive synths that are now classics. Also, the large LCD screen makes getting around all the options available to you a lot easier, because you see things graphically, instead of a text menu item that you may not understand. This is particularly handy when setting up the ADSR for amp, filter, etc because you can see the actual curve, rather than try to create that same picture in your mind. It makes life easier.

One thing you should do when you are diving into subtractive synths, is learn how it works. No matter what synth you have, its necessary to have a basic understanding on how the synth creates sounds, how and what to edit when you want to make changes to an existing sound.

Sound on sound has an excellent series on subtractive synthesis. If I can find the article I'll post the link. Consider it required reading.

I am very satisfied with my ION, and sometimes I wish some of my classic analog synths I have in my music room had the same interface as the ION. Its a great value and a nice sounding synth.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

The Ion is a great sounding synth (as is the Micron) and is much easier to got around on. One of it's main design goals, however, was to sound like a bunch of vintage analog synths for the benefit of us veterans, and as such isn't the easiest to figure out either. There's a lot of unconventional programming options.

As a learning synth (which is the topic of this thread, not sound) take a good look at Roland's SH-201, but used! because they are around $350 or so on eBay, as opposed to $595 new. Learning the basics is what that synth was designed for, and it shows. It is all there... none of the so-called standard analog features missing, and very logically laid out. And it's sound is certainly not bad... just Roland VA.

Bill, the problem with the Roland SH-201 is it's something that BC (or anyone new to synths) would quickly outgrow.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Oh, there's enough there to keep him busy for awhile. ;)

A remember how easy it was to teach one of my boys the basics on my JP-6. It is a big help when it's all laid out right in front of you.

But... all I'm saying is take a look bc. There's an SH-201 in just about every well-stocked music store keyboard room.

I agree with both Bill and Mike. The SH-201 is about the easiet to understand of the current market synths and worht a look for a begninner, but it is something that will be outgrown quickly.

I cut my teeth on an Arp Quadra and OB-X, lessons I will not soon forget and can be applied to most any synth on the market (the exception being FM synthesis-the DX-7 made me dislike it).

I suggest going to spend some time with the SH-201 and then look at something like the Radius and then finally an Access Virus. twiddle the knobs and listen tot he results.

I googled "basic synthesis" I got this site. Start here and do the same.

http://www.fortunecity.com/emachines/e11/86/synth1.html

Yamaha (Motif XS7, Motif 6, TX81Z), Korg (R3, Triton-R), Roland (XP-30, D-50, Juno 6, P-330). Novation A Station, Arturia Analog Experience Factory 32

Yeah, at the cost of a used SH201, it's worth picking one up if you're somewhat new to subtractive synthesis.

Even if you outgrow it sound-wise, if you get sytumped later on with a more complicated synth, the SH201 can serve as a reminder of the basics, and get your confidence back up to delve deeper into programming your other synths.

As an example, you could whip up a swept pad really quickly on the SH201 to remind yourself how to do that. Then spend a much deeper investment of time getting one you really like a lot, on another synth.

The SH201 isn't a bad synth once you tweak it enough. It's laid out very well, like the Nord Leads. You'll get used to standard workflow for the more traditional sounds, and then will feel less intimidated by the more complex routings of more modern sounds.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

...Would having all the knobs and controllers in front of me make it easier to tweak sounds and understand what everything does? Or would I be even more lost on that?

Yes, it would make it much easier.

No, you won't be even more lost. The Micron has a bunch of features that the Ion doesn't, like the rhythm patterns, the phrase sequencer and such. And as you know, you have to try and get around all those features using the one main knob and a few buttons.

The Ion has just the synth part like the Micron and some arps, and gives you way more knobs to work with, as well as a bigger, more informative display.

If you don't have an aversion to software, I'd suggest toying around with a relatively simple, free softsynth like Synth1, to get a feel for how things work:

http://www.kvraudio.com/get/214.html

Then sell the Micron and get the Ion.

Mike T: the article you're looking for might be in here?:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/allsynthsecrets.htm

I found the extra features on the Micron useless and in the way (as they came up by default), but it did sound better than the Ion if using internal effects. At a gig, that can be more practical.

Of course I only bought the Micron because I was too cheap to rebuy an Ion after mine was stolen. The Micron never really replaced my feeling of loss, and got sold after I bought the RADIAS as I was able to replicate my favourite sounds better on that synth (in spite of the Ion/Micron's dedicated synth filter emulations).

If you like the Micron's sound, and don't mind using external effects (or can live with the ones that come with the Ion), you will probably get a lot further on the Ion and be more willing to experiment with sound design. There is a software editor for the Micron from the user community but I'm not sure if it's cross-platform, and also I seem to remember from the Ion/Micron Yahoo Group that the patches are not strictly compatible between the Ion and Micron (I never got around to verifying this).

The Ion interface is very well thought-out. It isn't for everybody, and some find the knob layout akward and non-standard. But the display was always very intuitive to me, giving me just the information I wanted, nothing less, nothing more. And I was always clear on my context, which isn't always the case on a lot of other synths with more limited displays.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Archived