Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Gig Report - Richard Bona - London

Davo-London

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just got to watch the first hour of his 'African Tale' DVD today (rented). Inspiring stuff, amazing music, great story - a born musician indeed. I think I will buy this in the States it's a very enjoyable film.

I'd recommend anyone to watch this movie, I'd count it among the best music themed films I've seen.

Make sure you listen to it through a decent soundsystem too; the music is stunning and Bona's facility is just astounding.

Stern's band is a must-see based just on the DVD of that band and the reports. David, Richard sand for Pat Metheney a while back.

The 'African Tale' DVD is also a great opportunity to witness his incredible chops, rhythmic/percussive style, outrageous enjoyment of everything he does and beautiful tone and voice.

Also I noticed his action appears ultra-low and he made use of the ramp as an extended fretless fingerboard playing some very high notes.

If Stern/Bona are heading South after that I'll be there!

• 2 months later...
Recent gig performance

Re: Horn section. I agree Davo the trumpeter was excellent. Unfortunately I couldn't catch any of Bona's band introductions. The 'brass sections' though seemed to be created by the guitarist, trumpeter and sometimes the keys player all playing in harmony - so little else was needed what with all that Richard was playing.

I just noticed that video was doen in Portugal 3 days before our concert in London

www.myspace.com/davidbassportugal

"And then the magical unicorn will come prancing down the rainbow and we'll all join hands for a rousing chorus of Kumbaya." - by davio

Archived