Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Good sound module?

bc002k

I have my eye on the Kurzweil Pc2r. I've never used a sound module before, but it seems like a good choice for me. I have a Yamaha YDP223 digital piano, but the sounds are very limited - I've played a Kurzweil PC2 before, and I think the sounds are fantastic.

I'm looking for something used though - is this risky for a sound module, or is it pretty basic to figure out (and perhaps reset everything to factory presets).

Also, there's some optional expansions (Orchestral ROM and classic keys ROMS). The latter looks very appealing to me - is this something that I could install myself, or would it have to be done professionally?

From a tech standpoint, I'm pretty much a total noob. Is a module like this pretty easy to hook up to another piano (in my case, the Yamaha). I'm not even looking to program much (yet) - just flip through presets until I figure out what I'm doing more.

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a great module and the standard and expansion sounds are generally excellent. I have both expansion modules and use them all of the the time.

The expansion cards are easy to install yourself. Nothing particularly tricky except for the fact that some people run into problems upgrading the operating system after installing an expansion card. I used a computer with a MIDI interface and Windows Media Player and never had a problem, but others using programs such as Sonar have occasionally complained that they have trouble getting the update file to install properly.

Larry.

Archived