Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Amp stand/milk crates?

theTragicRich

Wow... my buddy/bandmate is a life saver. 2 weeks ago, the midwest got soaked with terrible rain. We practice in my buddies basement and well... 12am or so, his power goes out and his sump pump fails. He was very lucky that he heard noises in the basement that woke him up, and he was able to (him and his wife) to grab all of our gear and haul it upstairs.

His basement would later be flooded with about 12" of water. It's been weeks and I've helped him trying to get the basement cleaned up so we can get back to practicing. But this begs the question... what would have happened if he was on vacation? What if he slept through that storm? Everyone would have lost thousands of dollars in equipment and that's not a good thing. (I think he just upped his insurance policy to cover this should it happen again).

But I wonder, if putting our amps on milk crates or buying/building some sort of riser for that small chance this happens and no one is around to save the gear. I really feel bad as my amp is NOT easy to lug around LOL. Now I know getting a bass amp off the floor can affect the sound, but in a practice setting, I'm not too worried about it. I'm more worried about a stand or riser to support the weight of my rig during the rigors of several hours of practicing.

It's better to be safe than sorry, right? Is there an amp stand to support around 200lbs? What do you guys suggest?

[Carvin] XB76WF - All Walnut 6-string fretless

[schecter] Stiletto Studio 5 Fretless | Stiletto Elite 5

[Ampeg] SVT3-Pro | SVT-410HLF

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd definitely go for the milk crates too.

If you're a bit of an artful dodger, they're free ( ;) ), if you have enough crates you can stack them up as high as you like, you can put 2 or more under the amp to share the weight and they're good for carrying all kinds of cables and junk, like Jeremy said.

hehe, 'artful dodger', I like that. Yea, I've acquired some along the way for my guitar amp back in the day, but over the years they've cracked. Definitely need some new ones.

Thanks guys for the feedback. Yea, the rain sucked, but I'm just glad everyone and everything is still in good shape. :)

[Carvin] XB76WF - All Walnut 6-string fretless

[schecter] Stiletto Studio 5 Fretless | Stiletto Elite 5

[Ampeg] SVT3-Pro | SVT-410HLF

Yes, protect the species. A buddy of mine had a 70's Les Paul that he kept in his mother's basement. It flooded, and the Les Paul is no more. No doubt there are thousands of other stories much worse than that. It'll happen again, so get the milk crates, or cement blocks, or whatever.....

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

Rule #1 when practicing in a basement, especially in the Midwest, is ALL gear goes on a riser or stand of some sort.

I'm from central Illinois, Bloomington-Normal to be exact, and we built risers over about a third of my friend's basement.

12" high risers will work, but I prefer 18-24". We boxed in some inexpensive plywood w/ 2x4's and used large diameter PVC pipe (like 8" or 10" diameter) as legs. These were super modular if he needed the space downstairs. Just flip the thing over and pop out the PVC legs. Everything would stand up against the wall.

These were super modular if he needed the space downstairs. Just flip the thing over and pop out the PVC legs. Everything would stand up against the wall.

That's really classy! :o:thu:

Come one, we are talkin' about a basement here! You know, under the house, below ground level.

Besides, I've done some far less classy things in a basement!

Archived